• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eerie ashcan?
3 3

133 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Agreed.  I haven't read anything that indicates certainty that this copy is an original.  @SOLAR BOY I'm not knocking your copy.  It may indeed be an original.  And your anecdote of your friend, while very nice and kind, it is not a complete provenance, and thus, not a provenance at all (at least what you've described so far doesn't).  

There are, potentially, the following possibilities:

-an original that has all the hallmarks (which frankly, are the subject of some debate and not, I believe, completely understood).

-a "2nd Print" which I believe, Oakman has a proper handle on, that it has blue stripes on the staples but I've personally seen at least 2 different kind of blue stripes on staples- one large and fuzzy looking and another with very precise multiple blue lines on staples.  Warren in one of his house ads refers to sending people a copy with "special staples".  It could be both of these, or one of them.  I currently have no idea to identify what is what but I do trust Oakman's copy.

-any number of counterfeits may also be possible.  I've told people several times, I think it's foolishness to assume that there has only been one attempt to counterfeit back in the 70s.  Given the valuation of this book, it is extremely lucrative to produce a bunch of copies and relatively easy to make given current access to various printing methods.

What I can say with certainty is that even the most experienced dealers don't think they can identify an original with 100% certainty and thus won't present and sell copies as such.  To quote Gary, the only copies that he feels certain he can identify are the unusually bad counterfeits.  And if Gary can't identify an original, I'd feel silly claiming I could.  I'm sure this feels like I'm pouring cold water on this, but I don't want overly much misinformation floating around on this book.  It seems like a perfect setup for someone to unknowingly claim an original, sell it for huge money, and have the buyer find out later it's not legit.  I personally would want no part of that equation.

It's unfortunate, but I just don't see being able to identify a copy in person with certainty, let alone via pictures over the internet.

Makes no difference to me...this copy isn’t leaving my collection anytime soon and I love looking at. Thanks for your opinion on it. I posted it here because it seems lots of people are curious. I feel it’s 100% original but the truth of the matter is only the person that help print it at the time would know 100% what the 200 copies look like. Nothing to indicates this is a reproduction. But even if it were I’m happy with it. 

23 hours ago, N e r V said:

Off topic (somewhat) do you two know (or anyone else) if it’s still possible to contact James Warren these days? I have some old research stuff I got from the late Archie Goodwin that I wanted to run by him. He’s got to be pretty old though so not sure if it’s even possible these days...

The only way I know of where you may be able to contact him is through his Facebook page. I heard that page is managed by someone else, though...   hm

Edited by The Lions Den

32 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Agreed.  I haven't read anything that indicates certainty that this copy is an original.  @SOLAR BOY I'm not knocking your copy.  It may indeed be an original.  And your anecdote of your friend, while very nice and kind, it is not a complete provenance, and thus, not a provenance at all (at least what you've described so far doesn't).  

There are, potentially, the following possibilities:

-an original that has all the hallmarks (which frankly, are the subject of some debate and not, I believe, completely understood).

-a "2nd Print" which I believe, Oakman has a proper handle on, that it has blue stripes on the staples but I've personally seen at least 2 different kind of blue stripes on staples- one large and fuzzy looking and another with very precise multiple blue lines on staples.  Warren in one of his house ads refers to sending people a copy with "special staples".  It could be both of these, or one of them.  I currently have no idea to identify what is what but I do trust Oakman's copy.

-any number of counterfeits may also be possible.  I've told people several times, I think it's foolishness to assume that there has only been one attempt to counterfeit back in the 70s.  Given the valuation of this book, it is extremely lucrative to produce a bunch of copies and relatively easy to make given current access to various printing methods.

What I can say with certainty is that even the most experienced dealers don't think they can identify an original with 100% certainty and thus won't present and sell copies as such.  To quote Gary, the only copies that he feels certain he can identify are the unusually bad counterfeits.  And if Gary can't identify an original, I'd feel silly claiming I could.  I'm sure this feels like I'm pouring cold water on this, but I don't want overly much misinformation floating around on this book.  It seems like a perfect setup for someone to unknowingly claim an original, sell it for huge money, and have the buyer find out later it's not legit.  I personally would want no part of that equation.

It's unfortunate, but I just don't see being able to identify a copy in person with certainty, let alone via pictures over the internet.

To be perfectly honest, I doubt I've ever seen an original copy and I doubt that I ever will. And so it goes...  (shrug)

36 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

To be perfectly honest, I doubt I've ever seen an original copy and I doubt that I ever will. And so it goes...  (shrug)

I’ve seen two copies now that are legit. Both have been in collections prior to the first counterfeit (blue staple copy) coming into existence. One was acquired indirectly by Archie Goodwin. Both collectors refuse to post scans due to the fear of someone trying to do a perfect counterfeit.

1 minute ago, N e r V said:

I’ve seen two copies now that are legit. Both have been in collections prior to the first counterfeit (blue staple copy) coming into existence. One was acquired indirectly by Archie Goodwin. Both collectors refuse to post scans due to the fear of someone trying to do a perfect counterfeit.

You lucky devil...  :devil:

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

Please know the person I got this is a long time collector and someone I really trust. When he gave it to me he was 100% sure it’s original and he got it 30 years prior and was his holy grail in his collection. I’ve had it for a little over 12 years myself. im not sure if that puts it in the age it needs to be to have a chance to be a fake or not. But he believed it’s real and that’s more than enough for me. either way wish I can see the two you are speaking about to compare but value will prob be the same on them all because of the fakes lol. 

12 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Please know the person I got this is a long time collector and someone I really trust. When he gave it to me he was 100% sure it’s original and he got it 30 years prior and was his holy grail in his collection. I’ve had it for a little over 12 years myself. im not sure if that puts it in the age it needs to be to have a chance to be a fake or not. But he believed it’s real and that’s more than enough for me. either way wish I can see the two you are speaking about to compare but value will prob be the same on them all because of the fakes lol. 

I hope you're not getting upset, and I'm sure your friend was truthful to you. It's just so darn hard to "officially " tell the difference in pictures.  Kudos to you for even having one.

2 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Thanks brother. Off course I’m not upset man. Truth is even the real ones how do we know they are real, nothing is very certain in life. I just know how I got mine and from who. And how mine got into my collection. Maybe one day we can get to the bottom of it but it’s a great story. Great mystery and makes it even more fun. Yours with the blue mark is an awesome story too. Some dude trying to sell one on eBay for like $7k I think. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. This friend of mine is no longer with us. He wanted me to have it and was so touched that I loved it when he gave it to me. So it will never leave my collection. Some things to me are more valuable than money you know. 🤷🏽‍♂️

That makes it priceless, regardless!

2 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Thanks brother. Off course I’m not upset man. Truth is even the real ones how do we know they are real, nothing is very certain in life. I just know how I got mine and from who. And how mine got into my collection. Maybe one day we can get to the bottom of it but it’s a great story. Great mystery and makes it even more fun. Yours with the blue mark is an awesome story too. Some dude trying to sell one on eBay for like $7k I think. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. This friend of mine is no longer with us. He wanted me to have it and was so touched that I loved it when he gave it to me. So it will never leave my collection. Some things to me are more valuable than money you know. 🤷🏽‍♂️

My own experience is that most dealers have little or no experience in even some of the most basic information about the original, the first counterfeit (blue staple) edition or other fakes partly due to Overstreet’s misinformation and partly due to lack of effort or interest in researching it. 

As far as prices online go take them with a grain of salt like many other books. You can obtain a blue staple copy with patience for a market price and not the crazy asking of some...

21 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Yeah also a you guys see cgc response I message them today......I see why they won’t touch it......

1E1EA0A4-9CAB-42F1-8078-2D725C7DABE9.jpeg

The “other” company won’t either. There’s more back story there too I found out about the reasons but I can’t discuss it without creating some degree of discomfort....(for me probably) lol

Needless to say it’s a business decision that they both have a right to but it comes from the same source who originally decided it..

Edited by N e r V

19 hours ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Ok guys I got home early so decided to take the pics of the ashcan Eerie #1. I love this mag and without and further suspense here are all the pics. I’ve had it for 12 or so years. Got it as a gift from someone I trust who sold me their entire comic book collection and this was a bonus. Let the fun begin: 

F71FDB04-6A10-4F05-B567-4A48F2EFE2E5.jpeg

82EB1F81-81EA-4C94-8CAC-BE01365828AB.jpeg

244D66F3-779A-4B91-888E-DC49FB0E2AE5.jpeg

26ACFBDD-24E7-4707-9037-A93BBD755E4E.jpeg

Counterfeit copy:

EE603E18-72CF-4F55-BC03-B18878F0AED7.jpeg.eb7026ef06d6ea6df2541e863a2aa015.jpeg

F64D856A-AF27-41D2-877B-7B45347DFDE6.jpeg.fe7bfedec48d6e218cddf10197231ee4.jpeg

F6429F19-33E4-4C0C-A8CE-CDEBDFABBA1D.jpeg.8f7ebff06481e2e22ada28f9c0f4bc64.jpeg

82481257-D134-480C-BD1C-EFF4C00EDAC7.jpeg.851bd20ba798ef4e71bae76fc4ee77c6.jpeg

36 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Counterfeit measurement coming up slightly short:

7AA0237D-3624-41CE-BB2C-7EEAB43E1936.jpeg.d594a245e6d298e7ed723dcbfdf05040.jpeg

346E9352-39E7-4505-8448-C40477D41FD3.gif.abee06b1c30d1d70fe4e379e520e049d.gif

My copy measures exactly correct not short. I also feel that one you’re posting looks awfully bright. Mine doesn’t have that bright color to it 🤷🏽‍♂️