• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

About buying OA from an online dealer...

11 posts in this topic

I have never purchased original art before, not even from eBay. However, I was browsing through some dealers' sites and am intrigued by several pieces.

How firm are these prices that most dealers set on their pieces? There was something I wanted to purchase, but the price was quite a bit more than I wanted to pay. Would it be rude for me to extend an offer through e-mail?

In general, I guess I am asking if anyone has had any experience dealing with online sites like romitaman.com or albertmoy.com. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Have bought a few times on-line, if you are interested in something email them and ask them if they would accept a lower price.

Whats the worst thats going to happen, may be they will say No, maybe they will accept.

You could always establish a shill id and contact him.

Whats the worse that can happen if you make him an offer he refuses? I could understand being reluctant to do it face to face,but via e-mail?

offer him less than he wants,the worst that can happen is he says no. Maybe he'll make a counter-offer less than the original price. plus,he'll have a record of your interest in the event he puts the item on sale.

I bought from Albert many years ago and didn't have a problem. Didn't try to bargain as I thought the prices were reasonable. Not that I had any idea what a reasonable price was at the time.

You could always establish a shill id and contact him.

Whats the worse that can happen if you make him an offer he refuses? I could understand being reluctant to do it face to face,but via e-mail?

offer him less than he wants,the worst that can happen is he says no. Maybe he'll make a counter-offer less than the original price. plus,he'll have a record of your interest in the event he puts the item on sale.

I was going to send an offer regardless, but I was wondering if the prices were purposely inflated as to induce bartering. I am not really in tune with the OA market so I don't know the particular market value for an item.

I already have a set price in mind for the pieces that I want, but I wanted to see if I could learn from the wisdom and experiences of others. shy.gif

How firm are these prices that most dealers set on their pieces? There was something I wanted to purchase, but the price was quite a bit more than I wanted to pay. Would it be rude for me to extend an offer through e-mail?

My experience from the several major dealers that I have dealt with is that there is anywhere between 0 and 20% negotiating leverage from the posted prices. On most pieces (i.e., the ones that aren't flying off the dealer shelves), I have found that you can usually get 8-12% knocked off the listed price.

My experience from the several major dealers that I have dealt with is that there is anywhere between 0 and 20% negotiating leverage from the posted prices. On most pieces (i.e., the ones that aren't flying off the dealer shelves), I have found that you can usually get 8-12% knocked off the listed price.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif