• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone collect subscription comics that are still in the sleeve?

18 posts in this topic

I just bought a small lot of Disney comics and two of them from 1959 are still in the postal subscription sleeve. I find that to be fascinating. They have probably never been opened and read.

I know the appeal of comics is very cover related, but any of you collect this kind of thing?

These are from 1959. WDC&S 223 & 224. Do any of you have examples of sleeves from earlier years?

s-l1600_zps7menfkcq.jpg

I think they're incredibly interesting, but I don't know of anyone that collects them. I had a subscription to many of the marvel titles in the early 80s and by that time they were mailed flat.

I had a subscription to Thor in the 1970s. I think it was mailed flat but it was always very abused by the time I got it.

I am blown away that those even exist. I've never seen them complete from that early. I've seen envelopes and complete book+envelope sets from the 1970s, but not the books in the envelopes from that early on.

Not long after I started reading comics in the mid sixties my parents got me subscriptions to 3 DC series as a present. This is exactly how I remember them coming. Folded in half in a brown wrapper. I am sure I still have all the books, but the wrappers are LONG gone. Thanks for the memory

I just bought a small lot of Disney comics and two of them from 1959 are still in the postal subscription sleeve. I find that to be fascinating. They have probably never been opened and read.

I know the appeal of comics is very cover related, but any of you collect this kind of thing?

These are from 1959. WDC&S 223 & 224. Do any of you have examples of sleeves from earlier years?

s-l1600_zps7menfkcq.jpg

Are those Salida copies? There was at least a magazine box full of those in the collection.

s-l1600_zps7menfkcq.jpg

Are those Salida copies? There was at least a magazine box full of those in the collection.

Are Salidas a pedigree? These are not those. How old were those comics?

I think that really old Disney's from the 40s had the subscriber's address stamped onto the back of the comic. There was no envelope or wrapping paper.

i remember I was living in Israel during the 60's and 70s. My best friend and comic collecting buddy got a subscription to a number of DC comics including Detective, Batman, Superman, Action, House of Secrets, Flash and Green Lantern to name a few.

I was on a Kibbutz where they taught volunteers and new immigrants Hebrew. My mom was a guest professor at The Technion in Haifa, Israel's Cal-Tech or MIT.

After a day of milking cows (with a machine) and in the classroom it was fun to read my comics in the evening in the Kibbutz reading and game room.

I eventually became a citizen and then the Six-Day War broke out and I had to to fight. I was stationed at Sharem-Al-Shekh, where we beat back the Egyptian Troops. At night there I was reading my Batman, Detective, and Superman comics. And it took only 6 days to kick some Egyptian Butt.

i remember I was living in Israel during the 60's and 70s. My best friend and comic collecting buddy got a subscription to a number of DC comics including Detective, Batman, Superman, Action, House of Secrets, Flash and Green Lantern to name a few.

I was on a Kibbutz where they taught volunteers and new immigrants Hebrew. My mom was a guest professor at The Technion in Haifa, Israel's Cal-Tech or MIT.

After a day of milking cows (with a machine) and in the classroom it was fun to read my comics in the evening in the Kibbutz reading and game room.

I eventually became a citizen and then the Six-Day War broke out and I had to to fight. I was stationed at Sharem-Al-Shekh, where we beat back the Egyptian Troops. At night there I was reading my Batman, Detective, and Superman comics. And it took only 6 days to kick some Egyptian Butt.

How did the comics arrive? In a wrapper like the ones at the top of the thread?

No, they arrived in an manila envelope so there was no sub crease. Since the comic book industry was comprised mostly of Jews, they no doubt were zealous supporters of the State of Israel and perhaps that's how they showed their support--by not creasing the comics.

No, they arrived in an manila envelope so there was no sub crease. Since the comic book industry was comprised mostly of Jews, they no doubt were zealous supporters of the State of Israel and perhaps that's how they showed their support--by not creasing the comics.

it's the way God intended subscriptions to be shipped.

I have a few Heavy Metal magazines with a subscription cover added. They simply added a manila colored cover to the existing book and mailed it that way. These were not folded in 1/2 like the comics but shipped flat. In their infinite wisdom hm most likely felt the cover was enough to protect the book during transit.

I don't go out of my way to collect them, it's just that some had the covers still on them in a collection I purchased years ago.

s-l1600_zps7menfkcq.jpg

I think that really old Disney's from the 40s had the subscriber's address stamped onto the back of the comic. There was no envelope or wrapping paper.

Yes, same vintage. Probably extending into the early 60s, but frankly I don't recall the specific dates.

s-l1600_zps7menfkcq.jpg

Yes, same vintage. Probably extending into the early 60s, but frankly I don't recall the specific dates.

I like that the subscription Sleeves are actually dated with the month & year so you know basically what comic would have been shipped in it.