• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What have you Lost Lately?

4 posts in this topic

Or I have been "Wallaced" once again.

Sometimes my collection is filled not with what I have, but with what I lost.

I am a collector. The Star Wars Pepsi cans I had to cut at the bottom to allow the soda to be released without breaking the seal lay in a box some where in storage. The Star Wars action figures are in multiple boxes in multiple closets behind multiple book cases. Should I mention the hardcover novels I like to read, the pops craze that took over my shot glass space, or my digital library that I fear I will lose (or had already lost due to a computer crash)?

Lately I have been selling off pieces of my CGC collection. The items I bought with the increase of cash from this purge of books have been for healthcare payments, car payments, even a plane ticket back home for my wife for a funeral. I've been lucky though, since I found a buyer and out of the abundance I sold I only got rid of one book that was a Grail. The others I was happy to see go to a good home. Each time I sold five or six books, I thought I could use that money to buy one book. I didn't. Instead, another payment was paid, rent, utilities, and insurance again. Yes, healthcare is damn expensive. Did I mention I'm at the doctor's office right now?

I was watching a few books in the most recent Pedigree auction. One in particular was a beautiful copy of a CGC 9.8 of a birthday book I struggled to find in near mint condition (the struggle continues). Sure, the pages weren't deemed white, but a 9.8 as old as me (Technically older, since most of my birthday books were released in February of 1972) is amazing. I placed an opening bid that I knew would never win. In hours I was notified to try again.

I didn't. I hoped to come in and win in the final seconds. I watched and waited. I calculated what I WOULD spend against what I COULD spend. They were vastly different dollar amounts. Suffice it to say in the weaning hours, I was out. It's not that I wouldn't have gone higher, because I would have. It's just that I couldn't. I had something similar happen with a Sub-Mariner #38 which I eventually purchased, although not the same I might add as what I clearly craved.

The bidding closed, my data base was not updated and I lost without really playing at all. I hope to find one in the wild, maybe during a game of ComicBookGo, maybe I'll find it in a distant land rummaging through a box here or there. Maybe it will be there waiting for me? Or maybe, just MAYBE, it will sit forever, lost among my collection of never-haves and never-should-be's.

Ps: To whomever purchased the item pictured, Bravo.

17615.jpeg

See more journals by Tnerb

:hi:Howdy. Great to hear from you again. Hope things pick up for you soon. Happens to me a lot as well especially with kids. Most of the times I sell, the majority goes to the family, but that's ok. I wouldn't have it any other way.

A lot of times if I miss an opportunity another one presents itself. Either finding the book raw somewhere or a great price later. Or sometimes even finding a different book altogether at a great price.

Great to hear from you on here my friend. Nice journal, as always. Wish it was under happier circumstances, but it's good to share life, and we are good listeners. You will get that book at some point, and others you want as well. In the meantime, I enjoy hearing about the adventure that is Tnerb, the highs and the lows.

What's up Tnerb!

Keep your head up brother! At least you still own most of your grails; I remember when I literally sold 100% of my collection which primarily consisted of grails in an attempt to save and repair my marriage. I lost close to 15K in overall investments from having to liquidate during a low period in the market!

However, when you do the right things for the right reasons, God will always bless you in the end. I never even imagined that I would regain a collection like I currently have in the short amount of time I started collecting again. I truly believe that because I tithed all the funds I received to my church after liquidating my collection and for making a sacrifice in valuing human relationships over materialistic treasure, that God positioned me to be able to rebuild another world class collection after I showed my obedience; sort of like Abraham and Job in the bible.

I also understand your frustrations in not being able to purchase a book you really desired; I have had to turn down several Key Bronze Age X-Men CGC 9.8 WP books that came up for auction in recent times. Moreover, I am struggling with finishing paying off 3 X-Men books that I won at auction back in April, because everytime I gain some disposable cash...something comes up like a medical expense (I was recently sick about a month ago) or a car expense etc. However, I am just taking things one day at a time and doing what I can to make daily progress in all areas of my life...that is the key!

You're doing the right thing; you and your family are always priority over your collection, no matter how valuable or treasured they may be :-) In due time, things will improve and you will be able to acquire some new books to add to your collection!

Peace Tnerb! Don't be a stranger!

-Professor Pecora