• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's IT (9/8/17)
1 1

171 posts in this topic

I saw It with my two daughters last week and we all loved it.  I wish it was a trilogy instead of a two-parts so they could squeeze more of the massive novel into it.  Wishing for an extended cut for the home release.

'IT' Heads Towards $700 Worldwide Box Office

After an underwhelming summer at the box office, IT became a major success, going on to become the highest-grossing horror movie of all time. Over three months after its release, the film is close to earning $700 worldwide.

The new adaptation of the Stephen King story shattered expectations, as the week of release it was predicted to earn roughly $50 million, only to go on and earn $120 million domestically in its opening weekend.

While the film technically earned the distinction of the top-grossing horror movie, this number doesn't include inflation. Were the numbers adjusted, The Sixth Sense would exceed $1B, while The Exorcist would earn $1.8 billion and Jaws tops $2 billion.

IT wasn't the only horror smash this year, with the cumulative totals of IT, Split, Get Out, Annabelle: Creation, Happy Death Day and Jigsaw helping the horror genre earn close to $2 billion worldwide. Annabelle also helped the overall Conjuring universe to top $1 billion in worldwide box office, being the fourth entry into the shared universe of horror films.

'It' Was Warner Bros.' Most Important Hit Of 2017

So, all in all, the Andres Muschietti-directed adaptation of the beloved Stephen King horror novel ended its theatrical run with a jaw-droppingly huge $327.481M in North America and an equally obscene $696.381M worldwide. So that's just under 20x the film's $35m production budget. So when It: Chapter Two arrives on Sept. 6, 2019, it can essentially make zero (0) dollars domestic and worldwide and still be a huge hit in terms of the whole two-part saga. It's like The Hobbit and Fifty Shades of Grey all over again, where the first installment makes so much money that it essentially pays for the entire series.

Here's the fun stat: When adjusted for inflation, Stephen King's It is the 14th-biggest scary movie of all time in North America. It came in behind only I Am Legend ($256m in 2007/$328m adjusted) Signs ($228m in 2002)/$348m adjusted), Fatal Attraction ($156m in 1987/$352m today), Psycho ($32m in 1960/$379m adjusted), Gremlins ($153m in 1984/$404m today), The Lost World: Jurassic Park ($229m in 1997/$443m today), House of Wax ($23.5m in 1954/$449m today), The Sixth Sense ($292m in 1999/$512m today), Ghostbusters ($229m in 1984/$604m today), Jurassic World ($652m in 2015/ $703m today), Jurassic Park ($357m in 1993/$766m today), The Exorcist ($233m in 1973/$983m today) and Jaws ($260m in 1975/$1.1 billion today).

Yes, Wonder Woman was their best film of the year and a marketing win, but Warner Bros.' secret strength is their ability to turn movies like Magic Mike, American Sniper and Dunkirk into outright event movies. And if they can build a reputation for like-minded Stephen King adaptations over the next half-decade or so, well...

Amazing!

I had heard recently Stephen King was able to get back the Pet Cemetery film rights. Could this be the next one up as a relaunch?

I watched this tonight. Brrrr. That initial death was deeply disturbing. Pennywise is the stuff that nightmares are made of. The movie was a great mixture of horror and a coming of age story. I'm sorry I missed it at the theater. My 4K disc will get a lot of repeat viewings.

No. 5 ‘It’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

At $327.4M domestic/$700.4M worldwide, It is the highest-grossing horror title ever, beating the previous record held by 1973’s The Exorcist ($232.9M domestic, $441.3m). And the Muschietti title is clearly the most profitable for any genre film at $293.7M, beating recent hits such as Get Out ($124.3M), and The Conjuring ($161.7M) and The Conjuring 2 ($98.3M).

V4inWor.jpg

WOW! And with a $35M production cost.