• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Green Eggs Grading Contest -Round 8

127 posts in this topic

People...people...settle down! :preach:

Please remember, when I choose books for this contest, I never do it with the intention of tricking people. I try to choose books that have different kind of flaws, so that I can learn how CGC deals with these kinds of defects. I hope that you can learn a bit and hopefully leave this tournament with an opinion that you're gaining something from this exercise as well.

Every once in a while, we do get a grade that is a bit hard to understand how they came to it. This goes both ways, higher than we would expect, and lower than we would expect. This is just the randomness that we sometimes witness with grading.

I swear, I'm not a sadist. lol

I know 3rd and sckao are super, super busy, so I was wondering if any of the fellow contestants would be kind enough to highlight with circles or something the vertical creases on the BA book and post the pics in this thread if it would be all right to do.

I can't see them or figure out where they are, and really want to see how I managed to screw this one up.

Thanks, guys! :)

Please remember, when I choose books for this contest, I never do it with the intention of tricking people. I try to choose books that have different kind of flaws, so that I can learn how CGC deals with these kinds of defects. I hope that you can learn a bit and hopefully leave this tournament with an opinion that you're gaining something from this exercise as well.

Every once in a while, we do get a grade that is a bit hard to understand how they came to it. This goes both ways, higher than we would expect, and lower than we would expect. This is just the randomness that we sometimes witness with grading.

I doubt anyone is getting actually upset.

This only proves that ALL grading is subjective. Even the CGCs

I know 3rd and sckao are super, super busy, so I was wondering if any of the fellow contestants would be kind enough to highlight with circles or something the vertical creases on the BA book and post the pics in this thread if it would be all right to do.

I can't see them or figure out where they are, and really want to see how I managed to screw this one up.

Hey Ron,

If no one does it tonight, I'll happily highlight the damage for you tomorrow. (thumbs u

I agree with 01TheDude. I'm totally having fun and am very appreciative of 3rd and sckao for all the hard work. I'd like to learn and get better at grading, so I need some help seeing where I blew it on the BA book with the vertical creases.

Hey Ron,

If no one does it tonight, I'll happily highlight the damage for you tomorrow. (thumbs u

That would be additional awesomeness from you, 3rd!

Thanks very much! :) :) :)

I agree with 01TheDude. I'm totally having fun and am very appreciative of 3rd and sckao for all the hard work. I'd like to learn and get better at grading, so I need some help seeing where I blew it on the BA book with the vertical creases.

you are being too hard on yourself most likely. Remember-- these scans are of books inside cases. A raw scan or the book in your hands would be easier to see grade impacts

Ron, silly question, but did you notice that Large Scans are provided?

I think your selection of books is great. This year especially they seem to be highlighting all you mentioned above and more.

For all of us, grading from a scan, and for myself, having never personally submitted a book for grading, I'm definitely learning a lot and am becoming more and more confident in my grading skills with each and every round in each and every tournament.

Even though I'm far from being first, I've been very happy with my placement in this tournament.

So kudos to you, Andy. :applause:

I'm not in the contest this year :( but I've been playing along at home on some rounds. :shy: Before the reveal I guessed 9.2 on the BA12 (nope) and 8.5 on the Crow (yep).

This must be one of the BA12 flaws, yes?

164087.jpg.2bda5c4cc4803787383836eb277294a2.jpg

Yes. Very fuzzy corner. Crease riding up the side of the book. It keeps going up with a few breaks.

The extremely fuzzy corner should have told people it wasn't 9.2 or better. 2c

Ron, silly question, but did you notice that Large Scans are provided?

Most definitely.

I keep looking and looking, and still can't see any. :D

All I see are newtons, but that's it.

See above picture and tell me if you still don't see it.

See above picture and tell me if you still don't see it.

I do see a very faint line that looks more like a light wear mark instead of a crease.

Is that indeed the creasing?

Yep. There's a short crease in the black above Batgirl's left knee too.

I'm not seeing that either. Now I know I need my vision re-checked. :D

3rd and Fine, it must be a monitor issue. That or having my first bout of figure-ground discrimination.

Had to look that one up! :D :D :D

No way do those books have the same grades. Someone at CGC needs to change their prescription. I'm one to talk though with my performance, but I do feel more confident in the upper grades.

I've been schooled. Point Five...it's obvious I overlooked something. Seeing it through the case isn't helping. :(

I love it, I look forward to this every year :whee: it's very hard to grade these when not in hand but I have a blast doing this and seeing how far I can move up the board. Gave toro a run for his money last year not so much this year but I'll take it :applause:

From the back cover, bottom right moving upwards.

The first pic shows a really fuzzy corner, some of it has rubbed away. Also displays a white line heading to the top of the book. That area, at one point, would have been folded over from someone not taking care while reading the book. They created a spine roll and broke the paper fibers. That's why that white line is there.

Batgirl3_zps3n9gfknq.jpg

This second picture shows an extension of the spine roll. We can see this from the white line moving upwards, but now it's not continual, it's intermittent. Big spine tick at bottom of this picture.

Batgirl4_zpshlfzswoy.jpg

In the third picture, we can no longer see this white line, but you should be able to spot the difference in the light black and dark black. There is still a separation that is apparent between the two tones of black. Light black on the right side and dark black on the left. This tells me that the reader creased this book, or bent the spine up here, but not enough to break the fibers.

Batgirl5_zps0bjh5geu.jpg

Hope this helps. (thumbs u

Not really. If I've learned anything, grading from scans is not an exact science. You need the book in hand to really know what you are looking at.

With that said, I am at a personal best and having fun with this game (thumbs u