• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toronto (and surrounding areas) shops to visit?

55 posts in this topic

Can I nominate my shop :wishluck:

175,000+ books in my dollar bins (Silver, Bronze, Copper and Moderns)

An inventory that contains a near full Marvel Silver and bronze run

The largest selection of keys in the city

An inventory that currently has about 300 CGC slabs

Jim

Where are you located Jim?

I only get to toronto once a year for fan expo but id love to come check out your shop!

In Pickering, on the east side of the city about 5 minutes past the zoo. I'd even open up after hours to accommodate board members.

Jim

What are your Saturday hours?

It's only open Monday through Friday while I'm there but I can come in on a Saturday and open up specifically for anyone that asks. We are open on every second Saturday between 10-2 but that's when I have an employee in who mans just the dollar book section for those who like to bin dive.

Jim

Random question: anyone know of any stores that also have old toys, specifically GI Joe action figures from the eighties. My five year old son is fascinated with my old toys and I want to buy him some more. We are just west of Toronto.

Try Gotham Central (Mississauga : Dixie/Matheson) they have a lot of cool toys and statue.....

Also try Planet Hobby (Mississauga : Burnhamthorpe/Mavis) they have vintage store....but a bit pricey....

Can I nominate my shop :wishluck:

175,000+ books in my dollar bins (Silver, Bronze, Copper and Moderns)

An inventory that contains a near full Marvel Silver and bronze run

The largest selection of keys in the city

An inventory that currently has about 300 CGC slabs

Jim

Where are you located Jim?

I only get to toronto once a year for fan expo but id love to come check out your shop!

In Pickering, on the east side of the city about 5 minutes past the zoo. I'd even open up after hours to accommodate board members.

Jim

What are your Saturday hours?

It's only open Monday through Friday while I'm there but I can come in on a Saturday and open up specifically for anyone that asks. We are open on every second Saturday between 10-2 but that's when I have an employee in who mans just the dollar book section for those who like to bin dive.

Jim

Forgive the dumb question :

What's the name of your store Jim.... I always pass the zoo on my way to work but never thought a comic book store is within the area...

Also what's your opening hours??

Thanks for all the suggestions, I step away for one day and come back to a booming thread lol! I'm hoping to hit up shops next week before any might potentially move inventory to the Expo (which I will be attending as well). It's a fine line I have to walk of what do I buy before that I might find a better deal on at the expo or risk waiting until the Expo and dealers not have anything of interest (I doubt that will happen lol)

Random question: anyone know of any stores that also have old toys, specifically GI Joe action figures from the eighties. My five year old son is fascinated with my old toys and I want to buy him some more. We are just west of Toronto.

Try Gotham Central (Mississauga : Dixie/Matheson) they have a lot of cool toys and statue.....

Also try Planet Hobby (Mississauga : Burnhamthorpe/Mavis) they have vintage store....but a bit pricey....

Thanks! I checked Gotham with no luck, but will take a peek at Planet Hobby.

Jim

Good Lord! I've been in Whitby for 12 years and had no idea!

Jumping in on the Toronto front - rent increases have had a really devasting impact on the downtown shops.

The Silver Snail location on Queen St. was damn near iconic and that shop was great. While their new (it's not "new" anymore but still feels new to me!) location at Dundas is more central its upstairs and while they've tried, it's dingy. Really sad b/c that old store was amazing.

1 Million Comics - has always been overpriced but even their old location was a nice store to visit. The new one - not so much.

I haven't been to either Paradise or the Beguiling in several years but you could always count on great staff, great selection and quality at both of them in years past.

Outside the city - Comic Book Addiction in Whitby is great. It's not huge, but the guys have done an excellent job of both managing the space the selection of products. They don't have a pile of back issues in the store, but they do a once-a-month sale at their warehouse that is great. They do have everything though - great statue selection, great TPB selection, their small in-store selection of back issues will always have CGC copies of what you're looking for - from IH 181 to Walking Dead 1. Well managed, good staff and you feel like you're in a great retail store b/c you are.

Big B in Hamilton is great... Thousands of dollar books in the basement, and a decent back issue selection on the main floor. If you're from NB, it's got a "Strange Adventures" kind of vibe, but with a "Comic Hunter" scale stock of back issues. Big B in Niagara is more limited - not much in terms of back issues.

Aardvark Comics in Burlington (Aldershot area, just near Hamilton) has a lot of good back issues, with lots of obscure gems, but no "bargains".

Comic Connection in Hamilton might also be worth a visit... Lots of modern back issues.

Comic Warehouse in Kitchener, as mentioned above, is good, and if you're going that far, Carry On Comics in Waterloo is decent.

I actually live in Moncton and help out part time at Comic Hunter so that comparison gives me a good idea of what to expect! Big B in Hamilton is 4.2km from where I'm staying in Hamilton....that could be dangerous haha

Are you from the area (New Brunswick)? Or just have traveled here?

Big B in Hamilton has a case of old 80s toys. I would not make a trip there only for the toys, but if you are already out hunting for comics, they have some toys too.

Sadly there are no good toy stores in Toronto anymore. Again, rent has been talked about in this thread. For the price you have to pay per square foot, and the fact you can have 150 comics in the same space you might have two GI Joe vehicles, toy stores have gone the way of the dodo bird in Toronto.

However, I cannot recommend highly enough the treasure trove that is Kool Stuff Toys in Hamilton. A lot of stuff is on consignment, but for 1980's GI Joe in particular, he has a great selection. Prices are generally fair (in line with reality), especially on vehicles. If you make your way down, it is def worth hitting (only open until 3 on Sat, closed Sun, so keep that in mind).

Jay

Big B in Hamilton has a case of old 80s toys. I would not make a trip there only for the toys, but if you are already out hunting for comics, they have some toys too.

Thanks for the input guys. I checked out Planet Hobby and found a few GI Joes that I wanted. Gave a good price as well when I said they were for my son. A nice, clean and well organized store.

Might have to check Big B's out next week.

Big B in Hamilton is great... Thousands of dollar books in the basement, and a decent back issue selection on the main floor. If you're from NB, it's got a "Strange Adventures" kind of vibe, but with a "Comic Hunter" scale stock of back issues. Big B in Niagara is more limited - not much in terms of back issues.

Aardvark Comics in Burlington (Aldershot area, just near Hamilton) has a lot of good back issues, with lots of obscure gems, but no "bargains".

Comic Connection in Hamilton might also be worth a visit... Lots of modern back issues.

Comic Warehouse in Kitchener, as mentioned above, is good, and if you're going that far, Carry On Comics in Waterloo is decent.

I actually live in Moncton and help out part time at Comic Hunter so that comparison gives me a good idea of what to expect! Big B in Hamilton is 4.2km from where I'm staying in Hamilton....that could be dangerous haha

Are you from the area (New Brunswick)? Or just have traveled here?

I'm in Moncton a few times a year, but I travel a lot... Digby this week, then Victoria next, then Detroit, and then maybe Fan Expo in Toronto? I have an office in Hamilton.

I'm originally from NS, but I kind of live in a suitcase... At the same time I was posting on Hamilton comic shops, I was chiming in on the discussion about London, UK shops. I've posed the same question about different communities and the best places to shop.

That's one of the things I love about these boards - it's a truly global community that actually shares info... If I get around to a lot of shops in a lot of places, the least I can do is share my knowledge!

Beguiling has high brow comics, or maybe they are just not rock bottom low brow.

BMV on Bloor near Bathurst has all sorts of books that have been bought up remaindered.

Sadly, I haven't been to Jim's store yet but from everything I have heard it is one of the very best.

Toronto may suck in the eyes of the unenlightened but if you check out this week's Economist we are the fourth most livable city in the world.