• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any thoughts on St. Marks Comics in NYC? Will be visiting NYC shortly.

60 posts in this topic

Then you should walk the fifteen minutes to Down the Hatch between 6th and 7th or wings at Down the Hatch... you can sort of drift by the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory building which was where the fire occurred that prompted building codes as we know them today and then you can pass the giant arch by Washington Square Park.

After DTH, if you want to walk about ten minutes north of there or take a short cab or subway ride... keep going west until you get to an entrance for the Highline... That is the giant ever growing raised boardwalk, nature walk that is built upon the tracks of the previous century's elevated train line.

http://www.thehighline.org/

There is so much more to do in NYC then to go into comic book stores where you could find the back issues cheaper on eBay or at cons.

Agreed. I don't get the obsession to visit comic shops while on vacation.

I was on the east side of town and thought I'd check out Celestrial Comics yesterday. Turned out it was on the wrong side of a divided six lane roadway.

The shop I want to check is the combination comic shop/ tattoo parlor but I tend to sleep late.

St marks back issues are over priced and still sitting in heavily pawed over for years long boxes in the back. The only way there'd be something interesting in there was back when NYers with collections to dump were un savvy about the values and just dropped into a comic book store to take pennies on the dollar. And that doesn't happen anymore.

They do sell a lot of new comics and trades and toys etc.

I've shopped at St. Mark's and here's my thoughts. For new issues they have the most infuriating rack that easily puts creases right in the middle of books. I don't understand why any self-respecting shop uses a rack with a board right in the middle of the book like this.

Their back issues are overpriced as someone stated above. However, I've been to their "1/2 off" all back issues flash sales and then they're worth it. I picked up a nice copy of Star Wars #1 for cheap off the wall.

I've shopped at St. Mark's and here's my thoughts. For new issues they have the most infuriating rack that easily puts creases right in the middle of books. I don't understand why any self-respecting shop uses a rack with a board right in the middle of the book like this.

+1

It's :screwy: and unacceptable. :mad:

Their back issues are overpriced as someone stated above. However, I've been to their "1/2 off" all back issues flash sales and then they're worth it. I picked up a nice copy of Star Wars #1 for cheap off the wall.

I've bought some reading copies from their bargain bin before, but, yeah, otherwise, you're better off buying back issues on eBay or at a convention.

Then you should walk the fifteen minutes to Down the Hatch between 6th and 7th or wings at Down the Hatch... you can sort of drift by the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory building which was where the fire occurred that prompted building codes as we know them today and then you can pass the giant arch by Washington Square Park.

After DTH, if you want to walk about ten minutes north of there or take a short cab or subway ride... keep going west until you get to an entrance for the Highline... That is the giant ever growing raised boardwalk, nature walk that is built upon the tracks of the previous century's elevated train line.

There is so much more to do in NYC then to go into comic book stores where you could find the back issues cheaper on eBay or at cons.

I'm staring at the highline right now from my desk at work. The taco truck stand has some of the best tacos ever. And no one on the highline speaks English or knows how to walk.

I'm staring at the highline right now from my desk at work. The taco truck stand has some of the best tacos ever. And no one on the highline speaks English or knows how to walk.

I've gone a few times. I think the last time I was there was last fall with a few people. There was a string quartet playing music and we sat around having tea coffee and whatever after walking a decent length of the park. It's actually quite peaceful up there compared to the nonsense below that it is separated from.

Skip St. Mark's. Not much to see except the surrounding neighborhood which is one of the few still unique neighborhoods left in the city. You can get a tattoo, a nipple piercing and a slice all within a block or two

For new comics, you have to go to Midtown. Great selection and abundance. Back issues not so much. Unfortunately, NY is not much of a back issue town. Rents too high and space too valuable. I like the Roger's Time Machine recommendation but... their new location is very small and you should only go when Roger is there (I believe that is Mon-Wed). Other days he has a young guy there who doesn't have the experience to know where the good stuff is.

Yes, Roger's. Yes, Forbidden Planet for new stuff. No, St. Mark's.

For nicely-priced TPBs, you could also hit the Strand.

Or if you are a BSD, make an appointment at Metropolis Comics... the motherlode!

Otherwise, skip all that and just go to the Met Museum... the whole time. You can eat in the cafe, look at art all day, then drink on the roof. Sleep under one of the antique French beds. Then, repeat the next day.

Go to Rogers Time machine if he is still in business. Unfortunately, he was forced to move his store into a space like 25% the size of his old store so some of the oddball cool stuff he used to have around is not, but he is a good guy and they do have a good selection of old stuff.

Look's like St. Mark's Comics in NYC will be closing it's doors for good next month.

Seems to be more related to the unrelenting Manhattan real estate market than anything else.

A lot of long time similar businesses in NYC (i.e. record shops like Bleecker Bob's) have fallen similar victim to rent issues.

With the advent of the internet, consumers had more choice (and better prices!) to go to. Still, I rather see these stores on the landscape than a Starbucks or Banana Republic replacing them!

Story on St. Mark's closing:

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/st-marks-comics-is-closing-after-36-years-013019

"Or if you are a BSD, make an appointment at Metropolis Comics... the motherlode!"

Agreed.  If you know what you want, just search Metropolis' database online, email them an order, and set an appointment to drop by and pick up your books.

2 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Look's like St. Mark's Comics in NYC will be closing it's doors for good next month.

Seems to be more related to the unrelenting Manhattan real estate market than anything else.

A lot of long time similar businesses in NYC (i.e. record shops like Bleecker Bob's) have fallen similar victim to rent issues.

With the advent of the internet, consumers had more choice (and better prices!) to go to. Still, I rather see these stores on the landscape than a Starbucks or Banana Republic replacing them!

Story on St. Mark's closing:

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/st-marks-comics-is-closing-after-36-years-013019

Wow I hope that's not the beginning of the end for comic book shops. I remember only a decade ago you had so many amazing record shops in the city. Especially in the village area (both east and west). Allllllll gone. Not one survived. 

#rip #liquidsky #sonicgroove #satelliterecords #vinylmania #eightballrecords 

I’ve been to a lot of comic stores in New York and on Long Island (not this one) and even other states and it always seems to be the same...major overpricing on old books. I’ve given up on trying this. The only place I once in a while try is Tor comics Long Island in Holbrook. They sometimes give a decent deal if you buy more than 1 book and their pricing while not as cheap as eBay or cons is the best of the places I’ve been.