• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any thoughts on St. Marks Comics in NYC? Will be visiting NYC shortly.

60 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Wow I hope that's not the beginning of the end for comic book shops. I remember only a decade ago you had so many amazing record shops in the city. Especially in the village area (both east and west). Allllllll gone. Not one survived. 

#rip #liquidsky #sonicgroove #satelliterecords #vinylmania #eightballrecords 

Bleeker Street Records?  

More than happy to see them go in order to get what we now had.

Back then I spent $30-$40 on a bootleg album for a rare concert recording.  Now I just have to search for the show and I can get it for free from trading on other message boards or I can rip the audio / video from youtube. 

6 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Look's like St. Mark's Comics in NYC will be closing it's doors for good next month.

Seems to be more related to the unrelenting Manhattan real estate market than anything else.

A lot of long time similar businesses in NYC (i.e. record shops like Bleecker Bob's) have fallen similar victim to rent issues.

With the advent of the internet, consumers had more choice (and better prices!) to go to. Still, I rather see these stores on the landscape than a Starbucks or Banana Republic replacing them!

Story on St. Mark's closing:

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/st-marks-comics-is-closing-after-36-years-013019

Man. Sad to see. Memories... I remember buying new issues of Flaming Carrot off the racks there. (You can do the math on that one.)

24 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Bleeker Street Records?  

Back then I spent $30-$40 on a bootleg album for a rare concert recording.  Now I just have to search for the show and I can get it for free from trading on other message boards or I can rip the audio / video from youtube. 

I dont know man.. its not the same without the record stores anymore... The distributors... the parties.. @shadroch should know

1 hour ago, jason4 said:

I’ve been to a lot of comic stores in New York and on Long Island (not this one) and even other states and it always seems to be the same...major overpricing on old books. I’ve given up on trying this. The only place I once in a while try is Tor comics Long Island in Holbrook. They sometimes give a decent deal if you buy more than 1 book and their pricing while not as cheap as eBay or cons is the best of the places I’ve been. 

Tor is ok. 4th world is the place to go in the island

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Bleeker Street Records?  

Amazingly, Generation Records is still hanging in there a few blocks over. I always thought they should have my picture on their wall as I likely paid their rent for a few years buying Dylan bootlegs in the 90s.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Tor is ok. 4th world is the place to go in the island

4th world rocks...I just collect mostly silver age and the selection for that seems better at tor. 4th world is better for everything else and they also do great signings and free comic book day is great there. I have gotten some nice things at both.

10 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Wow I hope that's not the beginning of the end for comic book shops. I remember only a decade ago you had so many amazing record shops in the city. Especially in the village area (both east and west). Allllllll gone. Not one survived. 

#rip #liquidsky #sonicgroove #satelliterecords #vinylmania #eightballrecords 

I used to get my 12 inch vinyls from Vinylmania back in the 80's. :wink: I believe Rebel Rebel also closed down a couple of years ago. :frown:

10 hours ago, Point Five said:

Amazingly, Generation Records is still hanging in there a few blocks over. I always thought they should have my picture on their wall as I likely paid their rent for a few years buying Dylan bootlegs in the 90s.

http://theultimatebootlegexperience7.blogspot.com/ shhhhhhh  I love this site. 

Haven't been here in over a year but this seems to be the latest incarnation. 

On 8/20/2016 at 11:30 AM, Buzzetta said:

Then you should walk the fifteen minutes to Down the Hatch between 6th and 7th or wings at Down the Hatch... you can sort of drift by the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory building which was where the fire occurred that prompted building codes as we know them today and then you can pass the giant arch by Washington Square Park.

After DTH, if you want to walk about ten minutes north of there or take a short cab or subway ride... keep going west until you get to an entrance for the Highline... That is the giant ever growing raised boardwalk, nature walk that is built upon the tracks of the previous century's elevated train line.

http://www.thehighline.org/

There is so much more to do in NYC then to go into comic book stores where you could find the back issues cheaper on eBay or at cons.

Not sure I would make visiting down the hatch a big part of a visit to NYC. Sure, I have not been there since college in the early 90s, but it's just another bar with decent food. Buzz, are you one of those guys who puts in an hour after work there or at Off the Wagon a few blocks away every day??

If you are going to a nyc comic shop Joe koch's Avalanche of Wonder is more of an experience. But it is in kind of a remote (for a tourist) part of Brooklyn, though easy enough to get to on the R train from times square or the wall street area. But it could take hours to explore. You might wind up leaving with a long box or 2 comics, you never know.

Real NYers don't travel the city much. That's for the tourists. I don't either. I used to hang at the village, 5th ave, go to Rock plaza around xmas time when I was young. Now I go to the nautical mile during the summer, beach at Robert Moses park, shopping/dinning at Austin st, comic book shopping at Koch Warehouse in Brooklyn and fourth world at smithtown. For Christmas I go to Milleridge in in Jericho, or Hicks at Westbury. Plenty to do outside of the city

10 hours ago, the blob said:

Not sure I would make visiting down the hatch a big part of a visit to NYC. Sure, I have not been there since college in the early 90s, but it's just another bar with decent food. Buzz, are you one of those guys who puts in an hour after work there or at Off the Wagon a few blocks away every day??

Once a year... when I am in the mood for some really good wings.  Last time I was there was in 2017 though... It's one of the few places I know that make a decent traditional hot wing with some crisp to it and heat but without drying the whole thing out. 

7 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Real NYers don't travel the city much. That's for the tourists. I don't either. I used to hang at the village, 5th ave, go to Rock plaza around xmas time when I was young. Now I go to the nautical mile during the summer, beach at Robert Moses park, shopping/dinning at Austin st, comic book shopping at Koch Warehouse in Brooklyn and fourth world at smithtown. For Christmas I go to Milleridge in in Jericho, or Hicks at Westbury. Plenty to do outside of the city

lol - I stay clear of Nautical Mile unless a bunch of my friends that still live in Brooklyn or the City want to meet up at Braccos or the other place on the canal side. 

I used to go frequently when my friend had the boat.  We would get on in Amityville or Massapequa and then take the boat and dock up there... travelling by boat in the summer was fun. 

On 1/31/2019 at 5:54 PM, jason4 said:

4th world rocks...I just collect mostly silver age and the selection for that seems better at tor. 4th world is better for everything else and they also do great signings and free comic book day is great there. I have gotten some nice things at both.

I was going to suggest 4th World when I saw the mention of LI. When I lived on LI that was one of the shops I went to regularly. Picked up a nice copy of the Spectacular Spider-man magazine there for 50 cents. I think I got my Demon #1 from there too. My other favorite shops (Flashpoint and Port Comics and Cards) are long gone now.

St. Mark's Place ain't what it used to be. My sister lived there in the '90s, when it was cool and still somewhat sketchy. It's a shadow of its former self.

Fourth World for so many reasons. Staff, Merchandising/eye appeal, location (parking and great eatery around). I mean, I go there and I feel like a kid again, going straight to the wall section with the new arrivals, stacks of copies and if you need one reserved just call ahead of time. Then next to the register there are all the variants and some managers special. I once got an Adventure Comic 283 for $30 in VG/Fn off that rack, Chris said yeah this ones probably underpriced but Ill still give ya a membership 20% discount off that price as well.

I mean, my only regret is that its 45 min away from me, but I absolutely love that store

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

lol - I stay clear of Nautical Mile unless a bunch of my friends that still live in Brooklyn or the City want to meet up at Braccos or the other place on the canal side. 

I used to go frequently when my friend had the boat.  We would get on in Amityville or Massapequa and then take the boat and dock up there... travelling by boat in the summer was fun. 

Absolutely. Go bar hopping on a boat..Get a yacht and dock it by the bars/restaurants at the mile. We used to get sooo many chicks inside that way. Ahhh the good ol days

9 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I suppose locals don't do much sightseeing. But I used to be around and about before kids. I also had money then. 

3 hours ago, the blob said:

I suppose locals don't do much sightseeing. But I used to be around and about before kids. I also had money then. 

It's funny you mention that.  I realized that those that are around the city... we kind of take it for granted. 

Once a year I make sure to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge as it is just as much a landmark as the Empire State Building but free.  

In this case, I took the ferry from North 5th Street to Brooklyn Bridge... Enjoy for those nowhere near NY... that's why when you come here there is plenty more to do that sift through overpriced newsprint. 

IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5404.JPG

IMG_5417.JPG

IMG_5427.JPG