• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Restorer" credit added on CAF

11 posts in this topic

I asked Bill Cox to add "Restorer" as one of the Responsibility choices (e.g Penciller, Inker, Restorer, etc).

The new choice was added a couple weeks ago.

Chris Ivy created an overlay for my Bat Lash 1 cover. The published version is a heavily modified version of Nick Cardy's original art. I wanted to see how the cover would look with the logos and the original piece.

Although you could always mention the restorer in the description, I wanted to have a formal designation.

While I like the idea, I would not call what Chris Ivy did as restoration. Chris does great work, but adding titles or other trade dress on an overlay doesn't constitute restoration to me.

Such a formal designation should be reserved for pieces that have been preserved by a restorer/ conservator. Robert Dennis for example, is a name I would put in the restorer field as a way of keeping a record of who worked on the piece.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=171440

my 2c

I understand your point.

Actually, I thought it would be excessive to start coming up with multiple categories. I just asked Bill Cox to add the choice. I did not explain the context or show him the before/after images to influence his decision.

Also, the other choices (e.g. Penciller, Inker, Finisher) are basically "official" credits that are printed in the actual comic books. But CAF also includes lots of art that was not printed.

I think detailed explanations of what restoration or conservation was performed is better left to the Descriptions section of the piece.

Robert Dennis might replace the logos that were once attached to a piece of art. And Chris didn't attach anything to my art.

I recognize what Chris did for me is along the lines of some of the work I've seen to enhance commissioned pieces. However mine is an original vintage piece that never had logos on it. In my judgement, it would have, if it wasn't for some serious misjudgement in the DC editorial or production department. So, I like "Restorer". Somehow an "Enhancer" choice was too weird.

I think adding the Restorer label is a good thing. Thanks for having that done.

And not to pick on you, but Shemp pretty much echoes my own thoughts to a T.

Restoration is what the name implies. Restoring it to what it once was or attempting to preserve a piece for the future. No more, no less. Additions to a work or expanding beyond the work originally created, is its own thing entirely, no matter what the age of a piece is. I get that some people view such designations as a gray area, and up for debate, but to me, the definition is in the title. Restorer.

Overlays and noninvasive additions can be fine, and I agree they can be spelled out in the descriptions. The more info the better, as far as I'm concerned. Especially as these things trade hands over the decades, and memories get fuzzy.

I just don't see overlays as needing a separate call out, anymore than say, your framer does. It's a decorative, non destructive (hopefully) choice for display. The inker, letterer, or a guy that went in and whitened the actual original after the fact to halt glue staining, or repaired folds, tears or other things that may cause further damage to the paper, ink, etc. over time. That's a different kettle. I can totally see where having that as an ID'd callout is very helpful, and ultimately a great addition. Thanks!

While I like the idea, I would not call what Chris Ivy did as restoration. Chris does great work, but adding titles or other trade dress on an overlay doesn't constitute restoration to me.

Such a formal designation should be reserved for pieces that have been preserved by a restorer/ conservator. Robert Dennis for example, is a name I would put in the restorer field as a way of keeping a record of who worked on the piece.

my 2c

Its a much needed category, and it allows you to know who worked on your pages. I think restorer works because it will also count in guys like Rob Dennis and others who actually restore paper quality among other things.

I think adding the Restorer label is a good thing. Thanks for having that done.

And not to pick on you, but Shemp pretty much echoes my own thoughts to a T.

Restoration is what the name implies. Restoring it to what it once was or attempting to preserve a piece for the future. No more, no less. Additions to a work or expanding beyond the work originally created, is its own thing entirely, no matter what the age of a piece is. I get that some people view such designations as a gray area, and up for debate, but to me, the definition is in the title. Restorer.

Overlays and noninvasive additions can be fine, and I agree they can be spelled out in the descriptions. The more info the better, as far as I'm concerned. Especially as these things trade hands over the decades, and memories get fuzzy.

I just don't see overlays as needing a separate call out, anymore than say, your framer does. It's a decorative, non destructive (hopefully) choice for display. The inker, letterer, or a guy that went in and whitened the actual original after the fact to halt glue staining, or repaired folds, tears or other things that may cause further damage to the paper, ink, etc. over time. That's a different kettle. I can totally see where having that as an ID'd callout is very helpful, and ultimately a great addition. Thanks!

my 2c

My thoughts, too. This isn't a restoration, but I applaud you for coming up with the restorer ID. Great idea.

Are you really embellishing it though if you are restoring items that are now missing?

If that's the case, if that's the perspective of the value of the effort, is there even a real need to put this contributor on a pedestal with a credit?

When the Mona Lisa and other ancient masterpieces are maintained and restored, do those who work on the pieces get credit?

For architects who build iconic buildings, when a door hinge is changed, do they get credits?

...maybe it's unwarranted for opening credits like in a movie, but more appropriate for the mouse type scrolling credits at the end of a film, where the efforts are acknowledged but diminished.

Are you really embellishing it though if you are restoring items that are now missing?

If that's the case, if that's the perspective of the value of the effort, is there even a real need to put this contributor on a pedestal with a credit?

When the Mona Lisa and other ancient masterpieces are maintained and restored, do those who work on the pieces get credit?

For architects who build iconic buildings, when a door hinge is changed, do they get credits?

...maybe it's unwarranted for opening credits like in a movie, but more appropriate for the mouse type scrolling credits at the end of a film, where the efforts are acknowledged but diminished.

Fair point, but i bet if you did work restoring the Mona Lisa those names who worked on it are recorded. Some guys are better than others in all things. I think knowing that...

A. The piece was restored

B. It was restored by someone really good so it will be quality long standing work that wont hurt the product.

...is good info to have. To your point, of course they arent on the same level of importance and it shouldn't have them listed as a credit in creating but documenting them especially if you ever sell it I think brings good value.