• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Must go conventions!

28 posts in this topic

What comic convention is a must go for you?

What is it about the show that makes you want to be there?

For me … Heroes, MCCC and Baltimore.

It is only about the comics for me. I don't care to much for media guests. The more comics and creator there are the better the show is.

The one thing I will say is that… Booths at those shows are very expensive. There is no one that is not a professional seller. Sometime I like the small one day shows. Those are places that you can really find a bargain!

I'm going to try for Chicago, SDCC and Baltimore for my next big conventions.

For Canada, in all honesty, Calgary Expo is really great. It's huge, so much floor space and jammed packed with dealers

At this point in my collecting career, I like going to smaller shows, especially local ones. I've been to bigger shows in Boston and New York but I just don't have the patience for dealing with larger city shows anymore. The travel time, the expense, the parking and the crowds are all a big hassle for me.

I am done with bigger shows for the most part. I was fascinated by them when I first got back into collecting a few years ago. Now I enjoy small shows that are like comic book flea markets with old toys and collectibles.

I prefer small local shows, Big shows are too overcrowded and are too expensive. Books at big shows I can find at a smaller show for more than half the price and in better condition, dealer at a big show wants $40 for a modern book with spine ticks all over it, I can get it at a local show for $15 and it comes back 9.8. I only go for the comics, couldn't care less about autographs, cosplay, action figures and sketches.

I honestly just go to NYCC and the NYC Carbo Show (NYCBM)...

I am developing an indifference as I get older to attending shows... Here is why...

Any given month:

Comic Connect Monthly Auctions

CLink Monthly Auctions

Weekly Heritage Auctions

MyComicShop auctions.

Then there are the "event" auctions held by Comic Connect and Heritage and CLink where they haul out the special stuff.

There is eBay.

There is Pedigree which I hear people still bid at.

Basically we are spoiled these days as comic con is every month from the reach of your keyboard.

I honestly just go to NYCC and the NYC Carbo Show (NYCBM)...

I am developing an indifference as I get older to attending shows... Here is why...

Any given month:

Comic Connect Monthly Auctions

CLink Monthly Auctions

Weekly Heritage Auctions

MyComicShop auctions.

Then there are the "event" auctions held by Comic Connect and Heritage and CLink where they haul out the special stuff.

There is eBay.

There is Pedigree which I hear people still bid at.

Basically we are spoiled these days as comic con is every month from the reach of your keyboard.

^ This

its just not about comics anymore and thats all I really care about. Last one I went to was MegaCon last summer and I felt it was a waste of time. I went around to dealers asking if the had any issues of SunGirl and all but one dealer said who?

Travel expenses, entry fees....it just easier to play the game at home (shrug)

The biggest problem I have now is I could care less about just about everything else, but comics. So all the other stuff I might look at, but I am there to dig thru boxes.

Yes, this! I just want me some comics.

I don't go for the back issues anymore for the same reasons stated elsewhere in this thread.

I go to meet creators and to buy self-published books that can often only be gotten directly from the creators.

HEROESCON is my must go con.

Maybe Dragoncon if I have the energy.