• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Haunted Thrills said:

Hello everyone, first time posting here and this is the place for me because I am a pre-code fanatic!
I love Tales of Horror #5 and a few of the stories inside.
I have a few original art pages from the story "Hand of Fate" drawn by Moe Marcus.  I really like his work.

toh-handoffate-marcus1.jpg

Welcome to the boards. Always great to have another "horror head" here!  Post away!

17 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Bob,I've looked and looked for my other complete copy until my heart breaks.If I ever find it again,you can just have it.I think someone 'lost' it on me.

Thanks so much Jimmers. I know you mean it and I really appreciate it. To be honest, I've pretty much given up hope on that one. And, you know, I'm OK with it. It really isn't one of my favorite covers anyway. I've always got my fingers in a lot of pots and who knows. I know I won't pay Misfits money for one. 

1 hour ago, Jayman said:
3 hours ago, Haunted Thrills said:

Hello everyone, first time posting here and this is the place for me because I am a pre-code fanatic!
I love Tales of Horror #5 and a few of the stories inside.
I have a few original art pages from the story "Hand of Fate" drawn by Moe Marcus.  I really like his work.

toh-handoffate-marcus1.jpg

Very cool! Welcome to the boards! :applause:

Great user name and Welcome to the Boards! :headbang:

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks so much Jimmers. I know you mean it and I really appreciate it. To be honest, I've pretty much given up hope on that one. And, you know, I'm OK with it. It really isn't one of my favorite covers anyway. I've always got my fingers in a lot of pots and who knows. I know I won't pay Misfits money for one. 

I assume your talking about CoC 19, that's also a issue I've written off on ever owning.

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Great user name and Welcome to the Boards! :headbang:

Thanks Jayman, Robot Man and Adam Strange, I will be posting more for sure!  Btw, I saw the "vote for favorite pre-code publisher" link on top of the page, but its just a bunch of little white squares like it doesn't want to load?  In any case, I'd probably vote for Stanley P. Morse - Weird Mysteries, Weird Chills, Mister Mystery...some of my favs, especially the incredible Bernard Baily covers!

14 minutes ago, Haunted Thrills said:

Btw, I saw the "vote for favorite pre-code publisher" link on top of the page, but its just a bunch of little white squares like it doesn't want to load? 

It's probably from a long time ago and the poll is over.

15 minutes ago, Haunted Thrills said:

especially the incredible Bernard Baily covers!

Baily horror covers are brilliant but the interiors on those Morse comics...

Just now, adamstrange said:

It's probably from a long time ago and the poll is over.

Baily horror covers are brilliant but the interiors on those Morse comics...

Heh...it's a mixed bag on the stories, although some are excellent.  Weird Chills has got to be one of the most deviant of the bunch.  Crude art, brutal stories.  Gotta love it!

1 hour ago, Hap Hazard said:

Here's a different run of Pre-code Horror, American comics reprinted by a British publisher Arnold called ABChiller comics.

They sure chose some good covers for their reprint books! :applause:

17 minutes ago, Haunted Thrills said:

Thanks Jayman, Robot Man and Adam Strange, I will be posting more for sure!  Btw, I saw the "vote for favorite pre-code publisher" link on top of the page, but its just a bunch of little white squares like it doesn't want to load?  In any case, I'd probably vote for Stanley P. Morse - Weird Mysteries, Weird Chills, Mister Mystery...some of my favs, especially the incredible Bernard Baily covers!
imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

Welcome aboard Haunted Thrills show us what you got! Gilmour/Morse is a favorite of mine also.

mister mystery12 001.jpg

10 hours ago, fifties said:

I don't have 'em all, either.

Weird Mysteries run.JPG

All top notch covers.  Baily was an absolute genius.  I saw the OA of WM 4 a few months back (ant man coming out of skull) hanging in a certain gent's office.  I would love to see some of these other OA Baily covers along with some of those Weird Tales of the Future issues he did.

21 minutes ago, Haunted Thrills said:

All top notch covers.  Baily was an absolute genius.  I saw the OA of WM 4 a few months back (ant man coming out of skull) hanging in a certain gent's office.  I would love to see some of these other OA Baily covers along with some of those Weird Tales of the Future issues he did.

Beauties. Would love to get a #4 and 5, some day. If those were mine I'd give them each matching fresh new mylars and acid-free Gerber boards! But that's just my finicky-ness talking. :)

6 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

All the ToH talk has had me digging around in old photos.Here is a Canadian edition of #1

plusone176.jpg

Aw, they shouldn't have censored him. I'm sure under that banner he's actually quite adorable. :)

15 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Speaking of Baily, check out this new pickup. It's not my absolute favorite cover of his, but the linework and detailing are really quite nice.

mrmystery10.jpg.3691339f4e957e16442242132100825f.jpg

What I love about this cover is that the hooky grave robber doesn't seem to be scared of that ghoulish hoard of heads. He almost appears to be ready to take them on! (thumbsu