• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Point Five said:

Aw, they shouldn't have censored him. I'm sure under that banner he's actually quite adorable. :)

I've never made up my mind if that was a cop out or a quirky neat little touch.Ah,I love it,but it's no issue #3 lol 

And if I remember right,in the story he is a real swell fellow,and it has a sweet ending.

Edited by porcupine48
YO YO MA!

On 9/27/2018 at 2:58 PM, porcupine48 said:

All the ToH talk has had me digging around in old photos.Here is a Canadian edition of #1

plusone176.jpg

The "incomparable" Myron Fass who would later strike up Eerie Publications and publish those infamous titles "Weird" "Tales of Voodoo" "Terror Tales" et al, with a ton of reprints and re-dos of pre-code comics.  When I was a teen in the late 70's - early 80's, I bought those incredibly over-the-top magazines, never realizing the stories were reprints until many years later, which then began my obsession with pre-code horror comics.

terrortales7.jpg

7 minutes ago, Haunted Thrills said:

The "incomparable" Myron Fass who would later strike up Eerie Publications and publish those infamous titles "Weird" "Tales of Voodoo" "Terror Tales" et al, with a ton of reprints and re-dos of pre-code comics.  When I was a teen in the late 70's - early 80's, I bought those incredibly over-the-top magazines, never realizing the stories were reprints until many years later, which then began my obsession with pre-code horror comics.

terrortales7.jpg

I love those magazines!

I was also not aware they were reprints.

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I love those magazines!

I was also not aware they were reprints.

Yep.  Myron Fass either reprinted them directly from the original pre-code comics, or he had new artists re-do the stories to "modernize" the look.
Mike Howlett wrote a great book called "The Worst of Eerie Publications" which goes through the history of these mags, the artists and of course some hilarious stories and background about Myron Fass himself.

The mysterious Iger Shop artists
(note - i posted this in another thread, but it might be more applicable here)
So Iger shop did a lot of covers and stories for Ajax/Farrell and Superior in the pre-code days but trying to figure out who did what is kind of tricky.
Go to GCD for example, and they have "artist unknown" for most Journey into Fear covers, art and stories.
It is widely known that Ruth Roche wrote many stories during her tenure at Iger Shop, so she probably did quite a few for Journey into Fear.
But the art is another thing. 
Here are two pieces of original art (I only own the Journey into Fear 7 piece) and the one originally listed in Heritage auctions from issue number 2 they credit the artwork to Robert Webb who was art director at Iger for years.  If you look at the similarities of the OA and then compare them to the covers of issues 7 and 9 (That is my copy of #9), it appears that ALL of this art was done by Robert Webb and that Webb did a ton of art of Superior under the Iger Shop name. I refer to the faces, the eyes, the expressions and the art style.
It is very hard to find any books or articles which pin individual artists at Iger to any given comic book cover or artist, but some of these Iger artists were top notch and deserve the credit for their work.

journeyintofear2-rwebb.jpg

journeyintofear7-rwebb.jpg

journeyintofear7-rwebb2.jpg

journeyintofear9-rwebb.jpg

1 hour ago, Hap Hazard said:

This Magazine is Haunted 19-21

And that's it till it ran for 4 issues in 1957.

this mag is haunted19 001.jpg

this mag is haunted20 001.jpg

this mag is haunted21 001.jpg

Nice run Hap. I still need that pesky #17... My favorite is probably #16. I am not, generally a Ditko fan, but in my opinion, he did some of his best pre-code work in this title and the Thing. 

On 10/26/2018 at 3:57 PM, Larryw7 said:

Wolverton!

Wolverton is awesome!  But other than a few stories by him who else does Morse have to offer?