• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2018 at 12:56 PM, Haunted Thrills said:

Several sources have now confirmed that this is a mid to late 60's piece affixed to a pre-code horror title...!  Verrrrry Interrrrestink.

I had no doubt it was a '60s composition, even more due to the guy's hairstyle, than the clothes -- it's speculation on my part, but maybe it was a what-if we revive the "Out of the Night" title by ACG? Adventures into the Unknown was still in publication, albeit code-approved at that point in the middle '60s. It's a great cover anyway, would look right at home under a '70s DC House of Mystery or House of Secrets title header as well! :-)

On 11/29/2018 at 11:59 AM, originalisbest said:

I had no doubt it was a '60s composition, even more due to the guy's hairstyle, than the clothes -- it's speculation on my part, but maybe it was a what-if we revive the "Out of the Night" title by ACG? Adventures into the Unknown was still in publication, albeit code-approved at that point in the middle '60s. It's a great cover anyway, would look right at home under a '70s DC House of Mystery or House of Secrets title header as well! :-)

As it turns out the artwork was affixed randomly to the Out of the Night header and then it was initially offered as a pre-code art piece.  But the seller changed the listing so it no longer says "pre-code art."  Who knows who or when the person originally mated the two pieces, could have been years ago.  And yes, it totally looks like late 60's/early 70's House of Mystery!

On 12/3/2018 at 6:18 AM, Haunted Thrills said:

Zombie in the graveyard is one of the most iconic covers in pre-code history, and needless to say one of the most sought after.

The last hole in my Mystery Tales run. Never owned one. Should have bough it when I could because it is rapidly getting to be one of those books that is getting away from me. Not even my favorite cover in the run. 

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The last hole in my Mystery Tales run. Never owned one. Should have bough it when I could because it is rapidly getting to be one of those books that is getting away from me. Not even my favorite cover in the run. 

You should have bought the Church copy from Chuck back in '77 instead of blowing your money on Hot Road magazines (and other things...) :baiting: ….. I know the 5 dollars he wanted for it was almost insulting in those days... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu