• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,225 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Ah,okay.I thought you may have posted a few with cover homages or swipes before.That's the thing with the Alan Class reprints.I love the digest size and mixed bag you get,but it's black and white and terrible printing.

Go to eBay and look for thethreeauctioneers.  He sells replica and reprint books.  The replicas are twice the cost of the reprints, but are actual size, whereas the reprints are 8-1/2 x 11.  All color.

I hear you guys on some aspects of crazy PCH prices lately, but it's not all of them. This is both fortunate and not. There are those issues I'd like to get, but have certainly been priced out of; some I've sold, and been pleased with the return -- others, meh, not so much, especially with how "hot" PCH is supposed to be in general. It's hard for me to have a pulse on what the pricing should be, but overall I'm willing to list things for a buck on eBay and let it ride. Sometimes it's worked well, sometimes not, but overall I've won more than lost doing that! Of course anything with a great, almost-great or approaching "cool" cover has done really well lately. Other things, such as run-filling Atlas or ACG, can be meh, and then right in the middle of said runs will be a great cover that's realizing top prices lately. It's a mixed bag, IMO, not a bad thing, just is. :)

Pretty much all PCH has taken a steep upsurge in pricing. Even the more "tasteful" titles and companies. ACG's for example and the non-Wood Avons have been stagnent for years. Even Ace comics that you could barely giveaway not that long ago. Even some of the better cover ones. The St. John horror books (other than the Baker covers), have sat in dealer's boxes due to their poor content. They are all rising steadily as the big boys continue to soar. I have pretty much given up on Star as well. L.B. Cole covers are off the hook but when you open them up, the interior content is a little sub par to me. Even low grade copies. For every few people willing to pay for a high grade one, there are 100's of poor schmucks, just trying to get any copy they can.

I have collected them for 45 years. I remember when no one wanted them other than EC's. They started catching on and up went the prices only to level off when people thought they were to high only to take off in a few years again.

It is what it is. Just so glad I got most of mine back in the day. I doubt I would pay today's prices for them.

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Pretty much all PCH has taken a steep upsurge in pricing. Even the more "tasteful" titles and companies. ACG's for example and the non-Wood Avons have been stagnent for years. Even Ace comics that you could barely giveaway not that long ago. Even some of the better cover ones. The St. John horror books (other than the Baker covers), have sat in dealer's boxes due to their poor content. They are all rising steadily as the big boys continue to soar. I have pretty much given up on Star as well. L.B. Cole covers are off the hook but when you open them up, the interior content is a little sub par to me. Even low grade copies. For every few people willing to pay for a high grade one, there are 100's of poor schmucks, just trying to get any copy they can.

I have collected them for 45 years. I remember when no one wanted them other than EC's. They started catching on and up went the prices only to level off when people thought they were to high only to take off in a few years again.

It is what it is. Just so glad I got most of mine back in the day. I doubt I would pay today's prices for them.

I agree with you overall -- if I were just starting to collect PCH today, I still would, I just wouldn't have as many books. If I had collected them during the heyday when you first started, I'd have even more, but the times where these could be had for $5 for a random issue that you had to dig in a box under the table for, were before I came along. :)

4 hours ago, sartrexpress said:

strange mysteries 1 9.4.jpg

Good grief man!Your books are all amazing as everyone would agree,but scrolling through what you share I had in my mind,he can't have any mega high Superior,does anyone?Then I saw this and I died TWICE! :cool: (Canadian editions and Superior I have a slight fetish for)

Edited by porcupine48
Don't want the grammar gestapo after me

6 minutes ago, sartrexpress said:

IMG_1915.JPG

'And here I sit, hand on the telephone
Hearing a voice I'd known
A couple of light years ago
Heading straight for a fall'

A little Baez to go with the book!