• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,225 posts in this topic

Very cool book that has eluded me for many years. Not one of my top PCH covers and used to be real available. I put it off buying stuff I liked more at the time. Had a chance at a file copy but bought BCM 50 and A few more instead. I could care less about the Misfits connection. I have resigned my self that it will probably be a hole in my collection unless I somehow get REAL lucky and find one out in the wild.

8 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Very cool book that has eluded me for many years. Not one of my top PCH covers and used to be real available. I put it off buying stuff I liked more at the time. Had a chance at a file copy but bought BCM 50 and A few more instead. I could care less about the Misfits connection. I have resigned my self that it will probably be a hole in my collection unless I somehow get REAL lucky and find one out in the wild.

I wouldn’t take most ebay sales at face value. A great deal of shenanigans going on with attempts to manipulate prices. Does anyone ever know for sure if an item is paid for after “record prices?” Ebay is the best venue to go to for anyone wanting to play this game.

I don’t think you can know for sure. A sure way to tell is if the same seller relists it soon after. Either shilled or the thrill bidder doesn’t come through. 

Take this sale out of the mix, this book has just risen to a level that it is now worth far more than I want to pay to simply finish my run.

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I don’t think you can know for sure. A sure way to tell is if the same seller relists it soon after. Either shilled or the thrill bidder doesn’t come through. 

Take this sale out of the mix, this book has just risen to a level that it is now worth far more than I want to pay to simply finish my run.

A smart scheming seller doesn’t re-list in the same venue nor does s/he put it up in the same venue shortly after the sale in question. Some of these guys are very clever and take shilling to new heights. Sometimes you can’t tell- and basing any conclusion on a questionable “I’m not sure or I can’t tell” is another reason why I wouldn’t take ebay sales at face value. As far as this PreCode key, it’s been valuable for some time due to a great Elias cover and cool connection to fabulous band with awesome covers on each album. 
So if you never again get the opportunity to add a book like this to your collection- so what? You have an incredible collection of books. I learned at a very young age that “you can’t have them all.” That’s one of the things that makes life and collecting so interesting.(thumbsu

17 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I watched the eBay auction for the .5 end last night.  I was texting with a friend this morning about it and he told me about the 1.8 that sold at Heritage.  I couldn’t believe it.  Yeah, it has CT, but I’m pretty happy just to have a copy.

F8C960E5-5B49-4B43-AC1C-440758BF942D.jpeg

Is that the sorta accordion like one that was for sale here (raw) flattened out?

Nothing wrong with that copy at all.

Edited by porcupine48

13 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Is that the sorta accordion like one that was for sale here (raw) flattened out?

Nothing wrong with that copy at all.

I bought my copy raw on eBay, I think about a year ago.  Definitely has the accordion folds.  Still racking my brain as to why it occurred.  

On 2/17/2020 at 12:00 PM, bronze johnny said:

I wouldn’t take most ebay sales at face value. A great deal of shenanigans going on with attempts to manipulate prices. Does anyone ever know for sure if an item is paid for after “record prices?” Ebay is the best venue to go to for anyone wanting to play this game.

I agree. I was one of the buffoons up bidding on it because I had just bought a BCM50 and had the means and that buyers high to buy another big book. Luckily logic kicked in and I just moved on to buy some great alternatives to scratch that itch. I set a max bid of $1640 on that 0.5 on ebay thinking "there's no way" lol kind of glad someone went over me and not just slightly under. 

It smells like tax returns to me, and I will just wait until the end of the year to grab a copy.

Edited by Jshaffer7390

On 2/17/2020 at 2:26 AM, porcupine48 said:

:whatthe:

I was watching that as well, as the price was more reflective of how easily that copy could be restored into a VERY high grade copy. I was tempted, as it was very possible to take it to at the very least an 8.0 with minor investment on my part.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Probably got rumpled in the folder at the plant.

I didn’t think of that.  You’re probably right.  Which would explain why the interior pages aren’t the same way since they’re separate of course.  I always wished it was something more interesting.  Like a 10 year old trying to hide the cover from his Mom by folding it up.

Ok, golden age experts, I need some assistance here. I bought a few comics that look really nice, but, two of them are printed in Canada. 

1. What is the price % difference for a Canadian edition? The comics are Mister Mystery #4 and Mysterious Adventures #6.

2. The Mister Mystery has an angled cut to it (pictures below); is this a trim or just an odd cut? Or, what else should I look for to determine trimming?

It looks extra weird at the top part of the back cover, when looking at the pages. 

AD581DB8-9DFD-4C73-89CA-B936F9722600.jpeg

94393214-05B8-4F38-9BA7-6184518365B4.jpeg

49B71D74-4584-41B0-B7AF-9DF0EF918B68.jpeg

C743A1F4-2EEB-493C-A3D2-6762A22E9721.jpeg