• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

Need some help, I'm cross posting this, but got no response in the other thread can anyone confirm this is Ditko's second cover and does anyone else have one of these???

IMG_0507_zpswuvyxynu.jpg

It probably is. Space Adventures #10 was around the same time but usually gets listed as the third cover. I've seen both listed with the same on sale date though so maybe an old fashioned arrival date on a cover might be more telling.

Here's my copy. IMHO rarest Ditko cover, could be rarest PCH, at least Top 10. I passed on one in 2005, and when I got back into comics just over a year ago this was at the top of my list and I only found this one recently.

image.jpg

Here's my copy. IMHO rarest Ditko cover, could be rarest PCH, at least Top 10. I passed on one in 2005, and when I got back into comics just over a year ago this was at the top of my list and I only found this one recently.

image.jpg

It does seems to be very tough, maybe the print run was smaller on these later issues - anyway nice copy Dan. Anymore out there.....???

Need some help, I'm cross posting this, but got no response in the other thread can anyone confirm this is Ditko's second cover and does anyone else have one of these???

It probably is. Space Adventures #10 was around the same time but usually gets listed as the third cover. I've seen both listed with the same on sale date though so maybe an old fashioned arrival date on a cover might be more telling.

Space Adv 10 is a "Spring" issue but the title was previously specified by the month published and would be again with issue #11. It seems reasonable to conclude the SA 10 was a March comic (issue 5 was Mar and issue 16 was Mar) and tied for #2, absent specific evidence to the contrary.

http://www.comics.org/series/936/covers/

The later ones from #15 on seem a little elusive. #17 is the last one I need and seems to rarely turn up either.

first Charlton series :)

zYUAkV.jpg

sUDfLl.jpg

Hp94ul.jpg

fvQWB7.jpg

fqk8pU.jpg

4anEsn.jpg

vCDiK5.jpg

Time to bring this thread back from the dead with a new fresh slab back from Sarasota. A scarce issue in almost any condition.

photo CITY OF LIVING DEAD_zpswrhtuzof.jpg

Beauty!

Quick question about your copy. Does it have a line going across the center of the front cover, horizontally? Looks like it might be from printing? I have the Spokane copy and that's the only defect of note, but it's fairly prominent.

Great book and very topical these days.At one time, I had the Church copy of this and the Dead Who Walk. I bought them directly from Chuck at the Anahiem Casual Con (first show he sold the collection at). They were probably $4-$5. each at the time. I stupidly traded them off for I don't remember what now. This was long before "pedigrees" were coveted. I have never replaced either one. Once, you go to Church... you can't go back.

VERY pretty copy and congrats!

Oh, the real sad thing, is that these two books are "out in the wild" now without any pedigree designation.

That's the problem with some 50s church copies of any given book. Short of buying one from chuck back in the day, were they date coded? Were they generally immaculate as early church issues are, or less so? Some were bought second hand? Questions, questions. I have an issue of crypt that I think could be church, but not enough to say with any confidence.

That's the problem with some 50s church copies of any given book. Short of buying one from chuck back in the day, were they date coded? Were they generally immaculate as early church issues are, or less so? Some were bought second hand? Questions, questions. I have an issue of crypt that I think could be church, but not enough to say with any confidence.

Most of the ones I bought had no markings but do have "that smell". They are also incrediblely glossy and fresh. There is also a "feel" to them. I asked Adamstrange's opinion when he was here a while ago. He's had a lot of them and knows how to tell. If you are familiar with the ped youn can apparently tell pretty quickly. Most of mine are un-stabbed as I bought them. I have a few others I bought from Redbeard that Edgar obviously bought second hand.

I remember the guy that got The Dead Who Walk but he parted with it long ago and doesn't remember to who. You gotta remember back then, in those days there were no pedigrees. People in the know just knew when they came from Chuckie what they were.