• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Darth Corgi said:

Some new books this week. 

I was finally able to add decent copies of this pair to my Precode collection. I've always seen this cover set as a two part story. 

Issue 38: "Witch is Captured!"

Issue 39: : "The Witch will Hang!"

Both covers feature some beautiful Lee Elias linework. The witches hands on 38 really grab me (pun intended).  Very rhythmic drawing, lots of energy, and garish wild coloring adds to the visual frenzy. 

Regarding stories, I found the ones in issue 39 better than 38.

I also included a pic of one of my short box paintings. I decorate each of my comic boxes with a  portrait in either watercolor or ink. Usually it's monsters or a character related to the issues within. 

-Christian

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I love your comic box illustration. You have inspired me to do my own!

Edited by Artboy99

Thanks guys! Love that clown Jayman. That was a favorite of mine. Glad he's keeping watch over your collection. 

Atomic, here's a shameless link to my website if you want to see more of my work: 

http://www.christianslade.com

I'll try to post some more precode box art soon  

Cheers and thanks again for the nice words everyone!

Artboy, I'm sure you'll come up with some wicked stuff. You've got talented hands. Post once they are decorated.

Edited by Darth Corgi
Grammar

3 hours ago, Darth Corgi said:

Here's a few more box paintings. I added a few that weren't precode horror. Hope that's ok.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Judy and I own some of your original art and it AIN'T for sale :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

:bump:

After i showed these two in the Census count Thread, i got to thinking: I know in the 30's -50's Movies and TV shows couldn't show a man and woman in bed due to the 'Hayes Code', that's why as an example on 'I Love Lucy' whenever there were bedroom scenes we see two separate beds for Lucy and Ricky. 

So i'm wondering what comics not yet under a 'code' dared wander into the bedroom on the cover? I'm sure @Jayman as well as others have some examples. C'mon, let's have some fun before auction time tonight with 'Boudoir Tuesday' :shy:

Crime Smashers #11.jpg

Crime Mysteries #12.jpg

1 hour ago, The-Collector said:

CoC 23 cgc 6.0 (looked great for the grade) sold for $2400 in the Clink auction tonight. Seems those sales on HA were not outliers. The book is a PCH key now.

That's also close to double what a 6.5 went for on Comicconnect in May ($1325). I'm glad I have my copies already! The Beware 6 in 6.0 did solidly well also tonight with its $2,000 finish.

Edited by IngelsFan

On 9/12/2017 at 11:13 AM, sagii said:

:bump:

After i showed these two in the Census count Thread, i got to thinking: I know in the 30's -50's Movies and TV shows couldn't show a man and woman in bed due to the 'Hayes Code', that's why as an example on 'I Love Lucy' whenever there were bedroom scenes we see two separate beds for Lucy and Ricky. 

So i'm wondering what comics not yet under a 'code' dared wander into the bedroom on the cover? I'm sure @Jayman as well as others have some examples. C'mon, let's have some fun before auction time tonight with 'Boudoir Tuesday' :shy:

Crime Smashers #11.jpg

Crime Mysteries #12.jpg

comdownwithcrimecgc.jpg

comfugitivesfromjustice5.jpg

comlovediary10.jpg

comstarleto'hara1.JPG