• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

Alas, if only the right edge wasn't shot...

It is part of your collection, no? Then think of it as "the right edge will never get any worse!"

thumbsup2.gif

And that is a HECK of a cover!

That's my pal Pov, always with his "the vein is half full" attitude! grin.gif

Adam - GREAT bit of info there man! thumbsup2.gif

It is part of your collection, no? Then think of it as "the right edge will never get any worse!"

thumbsup2.gif

It contains Part Two of a horror story that was started in Adv WW 13. There aren't too many continued horror stories, much less where Part 1 is by Infantino and Part 2 is by Tuska.

Mister Adam Strange - to address you in the form of a truly classic Universal Monster film of the 30's - "Be guided by what HE says!"

What run of AIWW would be complete without the classic "MAN HOLDS HYPO & SPLITS IN TWO" cover??!! confused-smiley-013.gif

784896-AiW24.jpg

Geeze Keith before you even shucked that from Attach to Image I knew what you meant! That is a book I am looking for. Bought it, with about 40 more Atlas pre-codes, from a CBM delaer when CBM had all of those cool ads!

LOVE the split! Actually considered it for the Drug Covers post but since I no longer own it, was hopiing an owner would post. I HAVE to assume a drug of SOME kind was in that form-splitting hypo! grin.gif

It is a classic, no doubt! Man, I can't even fathom being able to buy 40 PCH books at once anymore! Those days have long since passed, haven't they?! My best score was a near complete run of Witches Tales from CBM around 1993 I think. cloud9.gif

thumbsup2.gif

That's my pal Pov, always with his "the vein is half full" attitude! grin.gif

Adam - GREAT bit of info there man! thumbsup2.gif

I hightly recommend AIWW 13 as I find it a very powerful story. The artwork and -script work together marvelously. I'll scan the cover and post it this weekend.

It is a classic, no doubt! Man, I can't even fathom being able to buy 40 PCH books at once anymore! Those days have long since passed, haven't they?! My best score was a near complete run of Witches Tales from CBM around 1993 I think. cloud9.gif

Yes, those days are gone now. Maybe returning. As the title of a Hermann Hesse novel goes: Unterm Rad (translated as "Beneath The Wheel"). Well, maybe pre-code horror WILL go Beneath The Wheel and we will see reasonable prices again.

I really cannot believe folks are paying bug money for invbestment. If they were we would see a lot more slabbed pre-code horror and going for a lot more than usual. But even the slabbbed books we are seeing do not often go for considerably larger dollars.

Our hope and probability is that folks like you, me and others who have expressed similar incliknation will no longer pay the absurd prices that are currently being asked for pre-code horror. I have seen preocees sit still and languish from day one to day 3 at Wondercon with no result. How long will it take for delaers to realize that there is a huge market for nice pre-code BUT at realistic prices.

Personally I have found the BA Horror to be a mor ethan adequate compensation as an anodyne for ridiculous pre-code prices. I will continue top spend my $4 - $15 or even $20-25 for really HG BA horror books while the G commons of pre-code are still trying to be sold for $50 or much more! thumbsup2.gif

Personally I have found the BA Horror to be a mor ethan adequate compensation as an anodyne for ridiculous pre-code prices. I will continue top spend my $4 - $15 or even $20-25 for really HG BA horror books while the G commons of pre-code are still trying to be sold for $50 or much more! thumbsup2.gif

Yes, I agree! My "problem" is that I am now probably less than 20 books shy of completing the DC BA horror runs. I'll probably move onto Marvel & Charlton, but where from there? Magazines? Copper & obscure modern? confused-smiley-013.gif

If PCH continues to level off I will be drawn back to buying, but for now I get more horror for my dollar from other ages. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I still cringe at the thought of 2004 Mid-Ohio Con with all those PCH longboxes just sitting there! Good and VG commons priced as high as $200! Insane dealers! screwy.gif

I like to think of that guy on MM as already being decapitated, and a cannibal is dunking him in some nice dip to nosh on with a side of fava beans or something. Of course, he's really being drowned in soup or something, but these are the things that cross a warped horror-mood mind @2:25 A.M. screwy.gif

"IMPATIENT GHOST??!!" he looks pretty darn patient to me, chilling in his chair... probably haunting the record player with Bing Crosby or Perry Como...

784931-AiW30.jpg

784931-AiW30.jpg.bd9d075cf2401d13819f4c62cd112c14.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

Here's something from St. John..... any votes for them yet?

Amazing Baker cover; PIT & THE PENDULUM story by Kinstler within. This really is a nice copy, but I had to crop the snot out of it to meet the size requirement.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

785176-AGS14.jpg

785176-AGS14.jpg.3815b908046383705d1e5583ef0614d0.jpg

Edited by precodekeith