• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2019 at 1:07 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Just back from CGC.04AD3083-0D1D-4D9E-BB40-13800126C7A5.jpeg

Was going through the CC auction for this week and it looks like it's going to be an absolutely field day for all of the Frankenstein collectors out there.  :gossip:

Strongly doubt that this hardly ever comes around very often, but it looks like a near complete run of high end Frankenstein Comics are available from issue #1 right through to the final issue #33, including the U.K. editions for a few of the really early issues.  The only exceptions being Frankenstein issues #18 and #20 which are probably being retained by the astute consignor of this absolutely gorgeous run.  :luhv:

I somehow think this Frankenstein run is going to set off some major fireworks during the 3-minute extended bidding sessions which are bound to follow, especially considering the fact that several of these copies are the highest graded copies or 2nd highest graded copies according to the population census report.  I guess it's just a matter of waiting and watching.  :taptaptap:  :flipbait:

On 4/6/2019 at 4:15 PM, Jayman said:

Wow!

C8B8D02B-FC45-4131-9DA4-E3D6B859215C.jpeg

Wowza indeed!!!  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

If the raw Fair looking copy managed to fetched $3,250 whenever this auction was, it makes me wonder how high these 2 higher graded copies will end up going for in today's CC auction:

bla4.466a.jpg

bla4.467a.jpg

If the sale price for the raw copy is any indication of the real market price for this particular all-time classic cover issue, I imagine there should be quite a bit of action during the 3-minute extended bidding time periods since both books seems to be running relatively low right now at price points of only $4,800 and $3,401 respectively.  :takeit:

Will definitely be interesting to wach and see where these 2 copies end up at by the time it's all said and done.  hm  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

After some sobering second thoughts on this book here, my thinking is that the above raw Fair copy going for $3,350 must be an outlier to the norm in terms of the price point for the BCM 50.  hm

Especially considering that there are already 75 Universal graded copies in the population census, with virtually every single one of them at a higher condition level than this raw copy pictured up above.  If I was looking at paying this kind of money for a copy in this low grade raw condition, I would much rather shoot for ANY OF THE OTHER Black Cat Mystery books that are available in tonight's CC auction, such as these 2 here:

bla4.469a.jpg

bla4.463a.jpg

From a simple relative pricing  and census population point of view, especially considering their substantially higher grading condition levels, I would definitely consider either the Phantom Lady copy of BCM 41 or even the Harvey File Copy of BCM 46 to be a much better deal at their current price points of only a few hundred dollars a pop if they do somehow manage to stay down here.  :luhv:    :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

16 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

Finally got the last issue of Ghostly WEIRD Stories this week I needed to complete the run, of course it cost more than the other four's purchase cost combined,

Congrats! Which was the last one you needed?

I finished another run this week probably a record.

Tales of Horror 1-13 found a copy of issue 11 that was priced ok in my book.

Here's a floor shot.

Again trying not to complain about the current prices on PCH books but for what I paid to get issue 10 and 11 adds up to close to what I paid for the

other 11 issues combined! It's nice when books you own go up in value but it takes a lot of the fun out of what you are still collecting when prices

go crazy like this. Waiting for the speculators to move back into collecting the guys in capes again!

tales of horror 1 to 13.JPG

Great run Hap. Yeah, I know what you mean. Lucky for me I bought probably 75% of my PCH real cheap back in the day. It kind of takes a lot of the sting out of paying up for the last few. I figure I’m WAY ahead of the game.

I really feel for the new guys trying to buy this stuff now. Me, I’d be out of the game if I hadn’t bought back in the day. 

PCH pricing; I feel like the rug has been pulled out from underneath us beginning about this year.  I mean, it's absolutely ridiculous what these books are now bringing raw, and slabbed?  Forgetaboutit!  Damn glad I've got almost all of the books I want.  I've purchased a few replica comics of the really hot issues, knowing full well that I simply wouldn't pay the current going rates for the originals.

51 minutes ago, fifties said:

PCH pricing; I feel like the rug has been pulled out from underneath us beginning about this year.  I mean, it's absolutely ridiculous what these books are now bringing raw, and slabbed?  Forgetaboutit!  Damn glad I've got almost all of the books I want.  I've purchased a few replica comics of the really hot issues, knowing full well that I simply wouldn't pay the current going rates for the originals.

It's forcing me slowly to the horror mags like Weird and Shock friend.

Edit-not that that's so bad,and some of those era mags reprint PCH do they not?

Edited by porcupine48

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

It's forcing me slowly to the horror mags like Weird and Shock friend.

Edit-not that that's so bad,and some of those era mags reprint PCH do they not?

I don't read them, Jimmers, but there is plenty of non-copyright (EC and Atlas) reprinted PCH material around.  Unfortunately, most however are reprinted in B/W.

2 hours ago, fifties said:

I don't read them, Jimmers, but there is plenty of non-copyright (EC and Atlas) reprinted PCH material around.  Unfortunately, most however are reprinted in B/W.

Ah,okay.I thought you may have posted a few with cover homages or swipes before.That's the thing with the Alan Class reprints.I love the digest size and mixed bag you get,but it's black and white and terrible printing.