• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

Okay - I will add more to the Atlas legacy. While the stories were often tame, the covers could be wonderous. Most are repeats but have not been seen since my Windercon 2003 trip. So without further adie:

What I like to think of as the "Elvis (or maybe Bruce Campbell?) Can't Play Guitar Anymore" cover:

advterr14.jpg

What I like to think of as the "Elvis (or maybe Bruce Campbell?) Can't Play Guitar Anymore" cover:

His music career may be over, but opening beer bottles will be a breeze!

Wonderful book, Pov! thumbsup2.gif

Thank you, Pov! It is in fact issue THREE! Very wise you are in the ways of pre-code... hail.gif

Well I confess to false wisdon. Simply not having an issue number on the cover indicates an early issue! blush.gif But also the subject matter is definitely early AAIW! Is the book really as sweet as it looks? Would be a prize in my collection!

It actually is one of the nicer Atlas books I have. The main defect is a chip on the right edge just below the verbage circle, which shows up in the scan but is hard to see. You can see some spine stress as well in the black ink. I did a double take of the scan myself and compared it to my book because the title looked oddly to the left, but this is actually how it was printed. I'm quite proud of it myself! wink.gif

It actually is one of the nicer Atlas books I have. The main defect is a chip on the right edge just below the verbage circle, which shows up in the scan but is hard to see. You can see some spine stress as well in the black ink. I did a double take of the scan myself and compared it to my book because the title looked oddly to the left, but this is actually how it was printed. I'm quite proud of it myself! wink.gif

Well, overal, it is a wonderful book. And I doubt you let the minor defects curl your toes, so to speak. It really is pretty. I had one of those when I was an Atals completionsist but yours blows the one I had to Helen Back! thumbsup2.gif

I wish all sellers were as strict as the dude who sold me this (cheap!)... he graded it POOR, and it is totally complete with attached cover!

That is a fave of mine (or was in my Atlas daze). Offhand do you know the artist? Love the reflection!

I wish all sellers were as strict as the dude who sold me this (cheap!)... he graded it POOR, and it is totally complete with attached cover!

That is a fave of mine (or was in my Atlas daze). Offhand do you know the artist? Love the reflection!

Bill Everett -- a superb cover that he re-did later involving a circus clown.

Bill Everett -- a superb cover that he re-did later involving a circus clown.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif Thanks!

Alas, if only the right edge wasn't shot...

It is part of your collection, no? Then think of it as "the right edge will never get any worse!"

thumbsup2.gif

And that is a HECK of a cover!

It contains Part Two of a horror story that was started in Adv WW 13. There aren't too many continued horror stories, much less where Part 1 is by Infantino and Part 2 is by Tuska.