• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanner for new slabs

18 posts in this topic

So I've seen a few threads on scanners but doesn't look like I'm finding any that have been tried on the new slabs. I'm looking for a good all in one legal scanner that takes good pics of the new slabs.

The Brother MFC-J6920DW looks like it takes great pics but has anyone used with the new slabs yet?

Old slabs or new, they are subject to the same issue. Check out the list of scanners HERE.

Interesting thing I've discovered with the new slabs - since the book is a bit recessed in the holder, the cover comes out darker than they did in the old cases. It's not the hardest fix with photoshop, but it is an extra step or two.

Anyone else running into this?

Old slabs or new, they are subject to the same issue. Check out the list of scanners HERE.

Interesting thing I've discovered with the new slabs - since the book is a bit recessed in the holder, the cover comes out darker than they did in the old cases. It's not the hardest fix with photoshop, but it is an extra step or two.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing - I did a quick Photoshop macro for my scans that crops the label (which looks fine) and then runs a levels adjustment on the rest of the scan. I never needed to do that with the old slabs.

The new holders seem to be very clear, which is nice, but I am getting some occasional glare at the top of a book instead of bottom. Not pimping these, but these are all new slabs scanned on a HP 7410 All-In-One with no color adjustments- Link.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing - I did a quick Photoshop macro for my scans that crops the label (which looks fine) and then runs a levels adjustment on the rest of the scan. I never needed to do that with the old slabs.

I'm not that well versed in Photoshop. Where would I find the function to set up a macro? I'm running it on a Mac if that makes a difference.

Because the book in a new slab sits further from the scanner bed than in the old slab, scanners will all react differently.

I've found my scanner to cause the book to look very dull.

I'm going to be hunting for a new scanner soon as I find it unacceptable that books don't look as sharp in a scan as they do in hand.

I'm not that well versed in Photoshop. Where would I find the function to set up a macro? I'm running it on a Mac if that makes a difference.

I'm on a mac as well :thumbsup:

Go to Window > Actions - in there you can record macros that can either be triggered manually or through a defined key command.

Here's a scan showing the difference:

preacher-reprint-1-cgc-9.8-ss-f-nomacro.jpgpreacher-reprint-1-cgc-9.8-ss-f.jpg

I'm on a mac as well :thumbsup:

Go to Window > Actions - in there you can record macros that can either be triggered manually or through a defined key command.

Here's a scan showing the difference:

preacher-reprint-1-cgc-9.8-ss-f-nomacro.jpgpreacher-reprint-1-cgc-9.8-ss-f.jpg

Nice scans and a cool books too.

I've got the 8300 too, but .. (not a criticism) your scans are very dark, compared to mine. Are you using the full driver pack from HP or something else?

If you're using the HP drivers .. what mode are you scanning in? hm

The new holders seem to be very clear, which is nice, but I am getting some occasional glare at the top of a book instead of bottom. Not pimping these, but these are all new slabs scanned on a HP 7410 All-In-One with no color adjustments- Link.

Pimp.

Okay, so you downloaded the Win 10 drivers from HP's site.

Are you firing up the HP solutions software, as a lot of the above settings don't come up when I take a scan?

If you are using the HP Solutions software, carry on with 300 dpi, but look for the 'Extreme' setting (I see you have it set at 500). That will equalize the colour balance and give you nice, bright images.

Here's one of my scans ..

scan0032CapSkottieVariantCover_op_800x1271.jpg

Win 10 should be Win 8, but I'm thinking it's all the same. either way I'm just glad to have this scanner. it's really great in terms of size and getting the job done. great looking books you have yourself and thanks for the helpful tips!

Thank you, and no problem at all (thumbs u

So I've seen a few threads on scanners but doesn't look like I'm finding any that have been tried on the new slabs. I'm looking for a good all in one legal scanner that takes good pics of the new slabs.

The Brother MFC-J6920DW looks like it takes great pics but has anyone used with the new slabs yet?

I was also looking into this Brother printer....it is currently on sale and has a nice big scanning area...but will it work for slabbed books? I am pretty sure this uses the CIS scanning technology...which i heard is not good for scanning anything that is not flat. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.