• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink auction starts tonight ...

583 posts in this topic

I have All Winners #19 on my radar in the future.

Tonight's 6.5 finished about $700.00 BELOW guide.

Is that a result of this auction or is this book in less demand these days? ???

No, that's just to throw some cold water on the mistaken impression that the entire GA market is red hot and on fire right now.

I believe the All-Winners title have been sitting in the collectors' doghouse for several years now and I guess it's still ensconced in there for now. Similar to how the Wonder Woman titles, including All-Star 8, were unable to achieve guide for several years back then, but just look at it now. (shrug)

As collectors of these books, we naturally tend to focus in on the highlight sales winners and not bother to pay much attention to the ones that performed poorly. hm

All Winners in dog houses? Wha???

Black Cat 50 CGC 8.5 $9867 :o

That book has been undervalued forever. Glad to see it's finally starting to catch up with some of the other GA classic covers. Did not expect that final bid price though!

That's crazy considering how many high grade file copies are out there.

That book has been undervalued forever. Glad to see it's finally starting to catch up with some of the other GA classic covers. Did not expect that final bid price though!

Supply and demand, lot of buyers at $5k, quite a few at $7500, at least 2 at close to $10k

Clearly still not enough higher grade copies to meet demand. It is a fantastic cover and after thinking about it, the price isn't that surprising given the way classic covers have been performing.

If I'd known the copy of #6 was going to finish at just $200.00 above guide I might have made a run on it. Not really into Centaurs but I always liked that hand grabbing sub cover. :)

Looks like you've got good taste because I've also always liked that cover. (thumbs u

Yet, for some reason it seems that this A-Man book tends to under perform relative to most of the other issues in the run as it has often sold for less than guide in many of HA past auctions. (shrug)

By the way, not sure if the description error in the guide valuation for this book was a factor or not. Although CLink lists the VG 4.0 Overstreet valuation at only $600, the actual guide price in this grade is $800. Means that this copy only managed to sell for $1 over guide at $801, as it did not moved up at all at the end of the auction. It is A-Man 7 that guides for $600 in VG 4.0 condition. :gossip:

I won two books tonight. The dirt cheap A-man 10, which I will crack out and read, and then sell.

And I went one more bid to snag the Cat-Man 13, which I'll undoubtably also sell, but I had long coveted a copy, even if it isn't actually the scarcest one in the run.

Prices for the early Actions have been very strong in some cases.

Seems to me there were some good deals to be had on some of the Action Comics.

Two different views on the same title. So, I guess it's like I said, probably depends on the particular issue in question. hm

Bat 1 restored (married & trimmed centerfold) 1.5 went for 21,750. In line with current market or is this higher than expected?

Seems high. My guess is someone got tired of outbid notices and decided to make sure they won that one.

What was the eye-appeal? At 1.5 how much does one really care if the centerfold is married and trimmed?If it had halfway decent eye-appeal and PQ it might have been a deal.

Found the link. A little grubby, with okay PQ, but no chunks out or ugly tape. What does a 2.0 unrestored usually sell for?

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2016aug%26pg%3D6%23Item_1137164&id=1137164#detail

Bat 1 restored (married & trimmed centerfold) 1.5 went for 21,750. In line with current market or is this higher than expected?

Looks like a pretty strong price from my point of view as this works out to almost 7.5% over condition guide price for what is really a restored and trimmed book. :blush:

Once again, it looks like entry level prices for key GA books are running extremely high, as collectors just want to be able to purchase an affordable copy. hm

Looks like a pretty strong price from my point of view as this works out to almost 7.5% over condition guide price for what is really a restored and trimmed book. :blush:

Once again, it looks like entry level prices for key GA books are running extremely high, as collectors just want to be able to purchase an affordable copy. hm

Heritage sold a fugly 2.0 with pieces out and slightly brittle pages (overgraded IMHO) for 31K earlier this year. I expect a nicer 2.0 would have sold for more.

I took the label to mean the centerfold on the 1.5 is trimmed, of minor consequence if it's already married. I don't know about big books like this, but on a lot of GA, once you get below 2.0, minor resto is of less importance than eye appeal. This 1.5 is about average looking for the grade, but 60% or less of 2.0 FMV doesn't seem that high for an entry level copy that's not completely trashed.

That, and it looks like the only resto on this book is the right edge of the centerfold was trimmed. If that same right edge was torn off instead of cut I don't think it would be considered restored at all. IMO one of those cases of buy the book, not the label.

Clearly still not enough higher grade copies to meet demand. It is a fantastic cover and after thinking about it, the price isn't that surprising given the way classic covers have been performing.

It's a great cover. A classic cover. One of the early classic PCH covers.

I actually thought a 8.5 would settle around 5k maybe 6k on the outside even in this hot PCH market. If it was a 9.0 maybe I'd even be less surprised at that price.

Yeah, it's not at all a scarce book in high grade. Just one that a lot of people enjoy keeping.

Congrats to whoever got the Action #5. I was the under bidder and thought I was going to get it with my last bid. There is always next time!

I've always loved that beautifully rendered blue cover for Action #5, ever since Overstreet used to break it out as being Rare way way back in the day. (thumbs u

Anybody know what the final price was for the Action 13? ???

Dealers must be having a field day today lol

Relative to some of the auctions earlier this year and from the overall tone I am hearing here, it sounds that although there were some definite hits in this first day of the auction here, there were also a lot of misses in terms of meeting expectations.

Makes me wonder somewhat if the consignors had chosen the right venue since I have historically never seen CL as being the go to place for GA books, especially when it comes to some of these non-mainstream titles. On the other hand, there were also a lot of misses in the CC auction last week.

Maybe it's just a sign that the market is cycling and navigating its way through the finer nuances of the marketplace, on its way to the end of this current bull run. hm

Congrats to whoever got the Action #5. I was the under bidder and thought I was going to get it with my last bid. There is always next time!

I've always loved that beautifully rendered blue cover for Action #5, ever since Overstreet used to break it out as being Rare way way back in the day. (thumbs u

$70,777

I think if Clink can pull off a few more auctions like this one they might start getting more attention on the auction circuit which could help them with some sellers who had bad feelings over "under performing" sales in the past.

The line up this time around was pretty rock solid.

As a buyer not having a 20-30% fee hanging over sales doesn't hurt either. (thumbs u

$70,777

Thanks Jeff! (thumbs u

Looks like this locomotive that is Action 13, is still on the move and not even Superman will be able to stop it in its tracks. hmlol

Dealers must be having a field day today lol

Relative to some of the auctions earlier this year and from the overall tone I am hearing here, it sounds that although there were some definite hits in this first day of the auction here, there were also a lot of misses in terms of meeting expectations.

Makes me wonder somewhat if the consignors had chosen the right venue since I have historically never seen CL as being the go to place for GA books, especially when it comes to some of these non-mainstream titles. On the other hand, there were also a lot of misses in the CC auction last week.

Maybe it's just a sign that the market is cycling and navigating its way through the finer nuances of the marketplace, on its way to the end of this current bull run. hm

IMO part of it is the time of year. Between comiclink heritage and connect this is the 9th major auction of 2016. (Not including pedigree, ebay, comiclink focused, and heritage weeklys. Also there have just been major comic conventions in san diego, chicago, tampa, baltimore etc in the last month or so. I know there were a few books tonight I couldn't go after as aggressively as i wanted to because I couldn't afford it. I know not everyone agrees with this but i think buyer fatigue usually starts up around this time of year and usually lasts through January. Hopefully some good deals to be had in the next few months!

I know not everyone agrees with this but i think buyer fatigue usually starts up around this time of year and usually lasts through January.

Well, let's just hope that's all it is. :wishluck:

From my recollection though based upon past years, I always thought that buyer fatigue did not really start to set in until after the end of the summer auctions and summer convention season, and then normally ran through until the early spring auctions the following year.

Maybe as you have said, there have been far too many major auctions this year, so buyer fatigue simply moved itself up by a couple of months. hm