• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink auction starts tonight ...

583 posts in this topic

Amazing Man #26 $7060.00.

That's a deal for someone.

Yes, looks like it only did a shade better than the restored copy that sold on CL several years ago. So much for some of the predictions that this copy would go for somewhere in the $10K to $15K range. :P

anyone that predicted those type numbers simply didn't understand the aman market

I kind of predicted those numbers but in all fairness I led with "I Wouldn't be suprised if" and I would like to explain that. First of all it's almost impossible to predict what something will sell for that never comes to market publically. These are often exchanged behind closed doors where no one but the buyer/seller/and anyone close enough to them to have the privelage of this information are, "in the know." The second is that it truly is a rare book with a classic cover even down to the color palette there's no refuting it is a dynamic book in that regard. Third, it's a CLink auction where anything is in play as far as bids are concerned but not until the end do we see some fireworks on some books. All it takes is 2 people who want a rare book bad enough to have blown this book to the moon. Fortunately for the buyer everyone seemed to have kept a level head at the end but heck even the winner could have had a much higher max bid we may never know. It's one of the reasons I am not kicking myself for putting in a ,"there's no way I'm losing this book" type of bid on the 22. I bid what I thought it was honestly worth and left it at that. If I would have put in a 10K bid just in order to snag the only copy I've personally ever had a chance at who's to say someone with more means didn't put in a higher I'm not gonna lose this book bid and it sells for more. Does that now create the market or price per point for that book? I don't think so. It's just too hard to predict. With the 26 I know 1 guy already has his copy that really wanted one and the pool of buyers is significantly smaller than say for a more common key but nevertheless and like I stated I wouldn't have been suprised to see it go higher. Like I've said many times I personally would much rather own the rarer cool book with nice eye appeal than a higher graded common book but that's just me. Rick I also said you were probably the best person in the know for what this book would really sell for. I still see no reason why this book couldn't have easily eclipsed the 10K mark simply on its rarity and coolness factor alone I mean I see people who are putting down 10K for Hulk 181s all day in a 9.8 and there's gotta be 100 of those on CGCs census alone. This was the highest graded copy of a super duper rare book. Highest graded at a 3.0!! I know if I had to choose between the 2 which one I would want to knock off of the want list first and I LOVE Hulk 181. I think personally the buyer got a great deal either way whether they paid 7K or 15K and the reason is because even if it's not the investment juggernaut that maybe a Hulk 181 is the opportunity to own a copy at all in and of itself is simply awesome and and an accomplishment to be very proud of and I know for one if I was the lucky winner I would look at that book everyday and it would put a smile on my face

The market for aman 26 is relatively small ...there have been 4 publicly sold copies over past few years (only 2 private sales I know of and I was part of both). Virtually any aman 26 is "entry" level , meaning 2.5 restored or 4.0 blue is going to fetch approximately the same value in the market place.

I felt my 3.0 was a 6kish copy and felt the clink copy was too. That's how I valued it and my bidding supported that value. The thing to know is that 4 other former "wants" have been filled and that was likely 50% of the potential buying pool for the book. 7k was a little more than expected at auction , but pretty close.

10-15k was just not a realistic estimate or expectation imo, unless the person making that estimate was prepared to or willing to pay that much

The market for aman 26 is relatively small ...there have been 4 publicly sold copies over past few years (only 2 private sales I know of and I was part of both). Virtually any aman 26 is "entry" level , meaning 2.5 restored or 4.0 blue is going to fetch approximately the same value in the market place.

I felt my 3.0 was a 6kish copy and felt the clink copy was too. That's how I valued it and my bidding supported that value. The thing to know is that 4 other former "wants" have been filled and that was likely 50% of the potential buying pool for the book. 7k was a little more than expected at auction , but pretty close.

10-15k was just not a realistic estimate or expectation imo, unless the person making that estimate was prepared to or willing to pay that much

And that is why you are "THE" GAtor of the comicbookplus waters. You've done your homework, worked hard, and not only know what the book is probably worth but the other factor and this is important...who the players are and knowing what they want, what their means are, and what they already have. These are very important factors when valuing a book like this with a small market but equally small quantity of goods to be distributed between said market. Just another reason I want you there someday when I can finally broker a deal for that Aman 22!! :whistle::)

On a complete side note hope you enjoyed Saturday!! my favorite season has arrived!! FOOTBALL SEASON!! Glad to see your boys get that 1st win out of the way!!

Another side note hats off to CLink and all it's hard working employees with a special shout to MrMyst!! What a wonderfully fun auction they have put together that brings us so much joy win or lose to just talk about and ponder over. Great stuff you guys ROCK!!!

some 6-7 years ago I "predicted" here on these boards, that the action 1 cgc 6.0 would sell for $317,000....a very "specific" number and as well documented, it sold for $317,200... "how" did I know this...well, that was what I was willing to pay/bid, and I believed to be willing to pay at top of known market at the time...

I believe the Larson aman 5 to be "worth" 12K...why?,that is what I felt I was willing to pay for it... but I didn't bid on it for a personal reason, so my "estimate" was clearly not valid in this case

I was the winning bid on the Action 10 until the last 30 seconds. Frankly I would have been in shock if I had won. I think it still went cheap.

Which copy were you bidding on?

The restored one or the 0.5 qualified?

Restored

That was a nice looking book.

Although I do not typically buy restored books, I think that was a much better choice over the lower grade qualified. Sorry, you did not win it.

I only bid because it was going cheap. It would have been cool to say I owned one, but if I had won I would have flipped it, so hopefully it went to someone who really wanted a copy to keep.

[A]nyone that predicted those type numbers simply didn't understand the aman market
If I understand you correctly, there are only a few active aman collectors. As more copies of aman surfaces to the marketplace, those collecting niches get filled. The absence of demand from new collectors entering the market, along with more supply; FMV stabilizes or possibly declines over time.

+1

I would say that this is very true not only for the A-Man books in particular, but for all of the Centaur books in general.

Since the pool of buyers can be very limited sometimes, the prices on an issue by issue basis can be very unpredictable and not as closely linked to its neighboring issues the way that more common mainstream books tend to be. hm

I have 3, possibly 4 I am going for, but one I really want. I am coming to grips with the ever increasing interest in what I am interested in and how that disheartens me as a buyer :sorry:

I know exactly what you mean. You also can't know whether that interest will be sustained long term. I've taken a bath on enough books to make me reluctant to buy anything that's hot at the moment.

I know many collectors who this has happened to as well so you are not alone which is why I dont buy anything thats 'hot' unless i can get it for a very good price. My general advise is to not always follow the crowd and to buy what interests you. However there are several Golden Age books at the moment that are very reasonably priced indeed that have plenty of room for growth. They are currently at a price where you would not be taking a bath if i was wrong which i dont believe i am.

Unfortunately, the only thing that really interested me for the last 3 years is the thing that seems pretty hot right now- of course, maybe comics are just hot in general. I like atomic age good girl books the best and have for a few years (with NO concern about the marketplace interest or what was hot involved in that interest). Seems that is a pretty growing interest lately. That's cool, I guess. At least I don't have to have every copy of Mystery Men (although there are a handful I would love).

Really, I should just buy more Jungles. They have the art I like and are not going through the roof...yet.

I think that the books you are collecting i.e atomic age, good girl and jungle books are a great area to collect. I would also add to that Schomburg/Xela Airbrush Covers, Baker romance and Classic Covers although on the last one these seem to have taken off in the last couple of years.

There are probably many others which i cant think of right now including early Actions but if you dont have the dollars to compete with the Big Boys(and i never could) the areas i mentioned above have plenty of room for groth and are relatively inexpensive.

some 6-7 years ago I "predicted" here on these boards, that the action 1 cgc 6.0 would sell for $317,000....a very "specific" number and as well documented, it sold for $317,200... "how" did I know this...well, that was what I was willing to pay/bid, and I believed to be willing to pay at top of known market at the time...

I believe the Larson aman 5 to be "worth" 12K...why?,that is what I felt I was willing to pay for it... but I didn't bid on it for a personal reason, so my "estimate" was clearly not valid in this case

Good information.

So you are a clairvoyant or your own self-fulfilling prophecy. hm

Now that the auctions for Aman is over did you win any?

Really looking forward to seeing where the Pre Robin Tecs end tonight. Some really nice stuff closing tonight.

Looks to me like they are already priced right up there.

I like the eye appeal of that Detective 35 as it certainly presents much nicer than its assigned 3.5 grade. hm:cloud9:

It's good to see that even the formerly out of favor, Detective 33, seems to be getting back some of its mojo and finally joining the big and hip pre-Tec party. (thumbs u

I don't doubt your reasoning, but I think its a lot of funnybook for 10k! Someone got a great deal IMO as there sure aren't many 1939 first appearances in very nice condition from pedigree collections that can be had for 10k! Congrats to the winner.

Really looking forward to seeing where the Pre Robin Tecs end tonight. Some really nice stuff closing tonight.

I like the eye appeal of that Detective 35 as it certainly presents much nicer than its assigned 3.5 grade. hm:cloud9:

It's good to see that even the formerly out of favor, Detective 33, seems to be getting back some of its mojo and finally joining the big and hip pre-Tec pre-Robin party.

It's good to see that even the formerly out of favor, Detective 33, seems to be getting back some of its mojo and finally joining the big and hip pre-Tec pre-Robin party.

As an owner of a DC#17, I haven't seen a comparable one for sale in over six years. :popcorn:

So far, I like what I'm seeing. :banana:

RAD6039D2016821_222618.jpg