• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink auction starts tonight ...

583 posts in this topic

When was the last time you read a Chinese comic book?

I believe the hobby can have relevance outside of English-speaking countries.

You didn't answer the question ;)

Heck forget China... let's talk Japan. They have a rich history of manga that engages with all kinds of cultural properties that are popular inside and outside of japan. When's the last time you felt a need to go rush to go out and buy vintage/expensive japanese manga?

Lone Wolf and Cub is one of my favorite comics/manga , but I'm not searching out japanese original printings. Are you?

Funny you should mention Japanese original prints!

I was in Japan not too long ago, and bought this awesome original print by an artist named Yooshi, from 1890, which beats Action #1 by 48 years. The little goblin in the lower left is an "oni" i.e., demon. As you can see, the comic book-like spirit of the fantastical and grotesque were alive and well in 19th century Japan. (Sorry for the quality of the photo, which was taken from a book; the actual print is hanging in my office.)

Oni_yoshitoshi_300_5h_9q_zps49dhjlon.jpg

That's very cool!