• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planet Comicon (Kansas City) -- TBA 2018

77 posts in this topic

This was my first Planet Comic Con so did not really know what to expect....that being said set a pretty high goal for myself due to the inventory I took...first 2 days were underwhelming but Sunday was killer...pretty much opposite of most shows.

Good sales of GA and SA to several customers and a few nice dealer sales put me over the top (I gear my sales towards dealers).

All said and done...still not sure if I will return.  Set up Thurs was the worst...hated it.  Out of all the shows we do this was the worst...Sunday tear down was better.  Should have ran set up more like tear down.  

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Sorry I missed you too! I had to teach two classes Friday, so I was in for a good chunk of Thursday to help with setup and then had to drive back. I didn't get back to Planet on Friday until about 5.

Fridays are usually a good day to shop for books at any show. I thought the crowd was decent for Friday and pretty strong on Saturday. I can't compare to past Planets as this was my first, but compared to other shows I thought they did a fine job of getting people in the door. Especially considering the awful weather and generally poor parking options around the convention center (off topic, but who builds a convention center of that size without even a small parking garage?).

The dealer you mentioned with the strong sales, assuming it is the guy I'm thinking of, got some strong dealer money and sold some big books on Friday. They were not getting any better walkup sales at the table than the rest of the booths were. The money still spends, of course, but that outlier should be put into perspective in terms of the strength of comic sales at the show. 

Dark hair, black shirt on Friday, but I can't remember his name. Probably about 45 - 50 yrs old. He and I talked about a trade for ASM #50, but he wanted too much.

2 hours ago, elibowman said:

Regarding the parking...yeah, it sucks. However, when Bartle Hall was built (70s), downtown KC was A LOT different. With the revitalization of the last 15 years, things are much more complicated than they used to be.

Ah, I've only been in the area since mid-2015 and have never been to KC prior to that. I like Bartle, but if they could get a garage it would be perfect. It would especially help on bad weather weekends like this past one.

Edited by mysterio

Here are my main pickups from Planet, at long last (since I finally got around to scanning the Avengers). I was originally aiming for an 8.0 in this book, but couldn't pass up the deal on this 9.2. I also got a set of Shan-Lon ASM variants and a stack of 20 NAM comics for the run I am trying to complete. I also found a few DC Universe books, including a fairly difficult Action #706. So overall it was a good weekend of buying and selling for me. Definitely hoping to attend next year even if we don't set up.

Avengers55CGC.jpg

52 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Here are my main pickups from Planet, at long last (since I finally got around to scanning the Avengers). I was originally aiming for an 8.0 in this book, but couldn't pass up the deal on this 9.2. I also got a set of Shan-Lon ASM variants and a stack of 20 NAM comics for the run I am trying to complete. I also found a few DC Universe books, including a fairly difficult Action #706. So overall it was a good weekend of buying and selling for me. Definitely hoping to attend next year even if we don't set up.

Avengers55CGC.jpg

Very nice pick-up on this issue!

On 5/2/2017 at 9:42 AM, Bearcatcoach said:

This was my first Planet Comic Con so did not really know what to expect....that being said set a pretty high goal for myself due to the inventory I took...first 2 days were underwhelming but Sunday was killer...pretty much opposite of most shows.

Good sales of GA and SA to several customers and a few nice dealer sales put me over the top (I gear my sales towards dealers).

All said and done...still not sure if I will return.  Set up Thurs was the worst...hated it.  Out of all the shows we do this was the worst...Sunday tear down was better.  Should have ran set up more like tear down.  

I wasn't able to hit up the show due to work, but just for reference--how would you compare it to the Indy show of a weeks ago?

2 hours ago, Shaolingoat said:

I wasn't able to hit up the show due to work, but just for reference--how would you compare it to the Indy show of a weeks ago?

They were similar....KC probably had more celebrities but that doesn't help me out...so don't really care about that.  I purchased more at Indiana but KC had some good dealers too.   Big crowds at both...Both worth going to!

35 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

They were similar....KC probably had more celebrities but that doesn't help me out...so don't really care about that.  I purchased more at Indiana but KC had some good dealers too.   Big crowds at both...Both worth going to!

Good to know.  I'm from Indy, but currently in Fort Worth, so always helps to get a feel for the Midwestern cons.  

Apparently I had a good excuse to forget all the booths I wanted to visit.
I had a dvt with pulmonary embolism sent me into a afib situation.. most likely started Friday.or before..

.so I got to spend some quality time in the hospital..

so much for the healing powers of comicon..

I knew I felt bad and it was getting worse..but I played it off as a result of taking on a difficult cosplay involving padding and pieces that turned the entire costume into a terrarium/oven...I kept having to take breaks and felt horrible ..but I kept thinking it was stress and overwork from doing 3 costumes etc for the con.. I was apparently very lucky not to have a complete stroke right at the con..

I knew since my remission I had been living for the moment and etc..I over did it..

So for everyone I missed maybe next year..God willing...

10 hours ago, Not*Sure* said:

I had a dvt with pulmonary embolism sent me into a afib situation.. most likely started Friday.or before..

I knew I felt bad and it was getting worse..but I played it off as a result of taking on a difficult cosplay involving padding and pieces that turned the entire costume into a terrarium/oven...I kept having to take breaks and felt horrible ..but I kept thinking it was stress and overwork from doing 3 costumes etc for the con.. I was apparently very lucky not to have a complete stroke right at the con..

I knew since my remission I had been living for the moment and etc..I over did it..

That's horrible! Glad you're feeling better!

So sorry to hear that! Hope things go well for you.

Was nice meeting so many of you at the show.  Had a few good finds and got some signatures done. Got to admit I was disappointed in the way some creators did it. Cgc was fine just very understaffed. Poor guy was bombarded every time I walked by. Anyone know how long it takes before books showing online as being submitted when done at a con? I wasn't even give a copy of the paper invoice.

12 hours ago, Senguier said:

So sorry to hear that! Hope things go well for you.

Was nice meeting so many of you at the show.  Had a few good finds and got some signatures done. Got to admit I was disappointed in the way some creators did it. Cgc was fine just very understaffed. Poor guy was bombarded every time I walked by. Anyone know how long it takes before books showing online as being submitted when done at a con? I wasn't even give a copy of the paper invoice.

If you put them in under your own account you should see them fairly soon. Did you at least take a photo of the invoice number? Without that it will be tough to track the submission down. 

On 5/6/2017 at 6:25 PM, Not*Sure* said:

Very sorry to see this, but I'm glad that it didn't turn out to be worse. Take care of yourself.

30 minutes ago, Senguier said:

Didn't even think of taking a picture. Have my books prepped with my name on them but I should have gotten that invoice number. Live and learn.

Chances are very good that you'll get them back, especially if you dropped them directly with CGC. You'll just get to be surprised by the grades when they show up!

Everyone probably saw me..my costume was pretty noticable but everyone I have met since said I really looked like something was wrong and my normal "sparkle" was pretty dim.LOL

had fun but next year will be much better