• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planet Comicon (Kansas City) -- TBA 2018

77 posts in this topic

I'm back after a long (but fun) weekend and have mixed feelings about the show. I personally did pretty well with what I bought and sold, and had a very good time. That being said, our booth didn't do as well as hoped and all of the other comic dealers we spoke to said the same thing. Everyone's sales seemed to be down pretty significantly from 2016. This is a real shame, because this show had more comics in the room than any show in my recent memory other than Wizard Chicago. There were a great number of comic dealers and some wonderful books were available. I wonder how many of those dealers will be crossing Planet off their list for 2018 after this showing...

Edited by mysterio

11 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I'm back after a long (but fun) weekend and have mixed feelings about the show. I personally did pretty well with what I bought and sold, and had a very good time. That being said, our booth didn't do as well as hoped and all of the other comic dealers we spoke to said the same thing. Everyone's sales seemed to be down pretty significantly from 2016. This is a real shame, because this show had more comics in the room than any show in my recent memory other than Wizard Chicago. There were a great number of comic dealers and some wonderful books were available. I wonder how many of those dealers will be crossing Planet off their list for 2018 after this showing...

Sometimes a show can have TOO much good material..... at least from a dealer sales standpoint. Sounds like a good place to be a buyer.... Having it right after C2E2 may not have been the best scenario. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(A friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

This pretty much sums up things  . . . . 

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Sometimes a show can have TOO much good material..... at least from a dealer sales standpoint. Sounds like a good place to be a buyer.... Having it right after C2E2 may not have been the best scenario. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(A friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Absolutely agree with this about scheduling and C2E2. I attended both shows and C2E2 was completely packed all day on Saturday and Sunday. Having attended Planet Comicon for about the past 5+ years, I did notice that the crowd was smaller this year than in any of those previous years. I enjoyed the opportunity to be able to move around far more easily, but suspected that it would result in diminished sales. Even though there was a lot of great stuff to look through and it was much easier to walk around, I had to leave early on Sunday because I was tapped out after attending two conventions over two consecutive weekends. Having at least a month between the two shows would help tremendously.

Edited by Real Frantic One

Looks like C2E2 was early last year (March) and Planet was in May.  Sounds like having them a week apart and only 7 hour drive between them was not a wise choice.  Looks like the celeb line up was pretty killer - think that drained the buying power in the room.  I though C2E2 was very, very weak in terms of celebs (other then Stan) for such a huge show which can only help cash being available for books.

52 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Looks like C2E2 was early last year (March) and Planet was in May.  Sounds like having them a week apart and only 7 hour drive between them was not a wise choice.  Looks like the celeb line up was pretty killer - think that drained the buying power in the room.  I though C2E2 was very, very weak in terms of celebs (other then Stan) for such a huge show which can only help cash being available for books.

I think that all these factors chipped away at Planet. Your serious comic buyer probably picked one over the other, which would have hurt the later show. The strong celeb lineup also keeps money away from the dealers. Since all the comic dealers that we talked to were singing the same tune, it would seem that the comic buyers were either not there, or not spending like they did in 2016.

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

I think that all these factors chipped away at Planet. Your serious comic buyer probably picked one over the other, which would have hurt the later show. The strong celeb lineup also keeps money away from the dealers. Since all the comic dealers that we talked to were singing the same tune, it would seem that the comic buyers were either not there, or not spending like they did in 2016.

Sorry I missed you, Mysterio. You were still at work, I guess, while I was there on Friday. I never made it back, unfortunately. I was there before the doors opened on Friday, and the line was ridiculous. However, most of those folks must have been into other things, because the comic centered booths were approachable throughout the afternoon. I talked to couple dealers, and they were very happy with the first couple hours. One guy (can't remember name) said he could wrap up for the weekend already after a couple really nice sales. Too bad that kind of action wasn't widespread.

I never have been much on the celeb meets or signatures myself, so I only go to run through long boxes. I can say that every dealer I bought from was willing to move on their prices. I know it helped that I was paying cash, and I probably wasn't grabbing the cream of the crop. I just wish I had more time. 4 hours wasn't even enough time to get very far.

9 hours ago, mysterio said:

I heard some rumors that Planet will be significantly earlier in 2018. I guess we will see when they announce dates.

Earlier than April??  yikes..

it seemed very different from last year..

On 4/25/2017 at 2:29 PM, Darth Corgi said:

I will have a table there in Artist Alley with a lot of my original art, prints and copies 1-4 of my graphic novel series Korgi. We are debuting some new collectibles as well. Stop by and say hi! 

-Christian Slade

www.christianslade.com

DANG missed you ..so sorry to hear that would have loved to stop by..
to be honest after 2 hours or so I was dead and the rest of the day was a blur but would have liked to stop by anyway haha

15 hours ago, elibowman said:

Sorry I missed you, Mysterio. You were still at work, I guess, while I was there on Friday. I never made it back, unfortunately. I was there before the doors opened on Friday, and the line was ridiculous. However, most of those folks must have been into other things, because the comic centered booths were approachable throughout the afternoon. I talked to couple dealers, and they were very happy with the first couple hours. One guy (can't remember name) said he could wrap up for the weekend already after a couple really nice sales. Too bad that kind of action wasn't widespread.

Sorry I missed you too! I had to teach two classes Friday, so I was in for a good chunk of Thursday to help with setup and then had to drive back. I didn't get back to Planet on Friday until about 5.

Fridays are usually a good day to shop for books at any show. I thought the crowd was decent for Friday and pretty strong on Saturday. I can't compare to past Planets as this was my first, but compared to other shows I thought they did a fine job of getting people in the door. Especially considering the awful weather and generally poor parking options around the convention center (off topic, but who builds a convention center of that size without even a small parking garage?).

The dealer you mentioned with the strong sales, assuming it is the guy I'm thinking of, got some strong dealer money and sold some big books on Friday. They were not getting any better walkup sales at the table than the rest of the booths were. The money still spends, of course, but that outlier should be put into perspective in terms of the strength of comic sales at the show. 

Edited by mysterio

38 minutes ago, Not*Sure* said:

Yikes are they hoping to schedule it early enough for snow..

blah

That's the rumor. I guess we will see whenever they announce dates.