• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A 'Terrible' re-visitation of Steve Ditko's ASM # 2 cover . . .

14 posts in this topic

Recreations aren't everyone's cup of tea. Never used to be mine until I discovered Bruce McCorkindale's work in this area of collecting.

Over the past year I've been commissioning Bruce to recreate some of my favourite silver age Marvel covers. As I think it's doubtful that much of the early cover work still exists, I like to think that this idea has some merit (even if not a lot to most OA collectors). They're relatively inexpensive to buy, so why not.

When I was listing cover commission ideas with Bruce, I requested the ASM # 2 as one of my choices. Unfortunately, Bruce had already recreated the Vulture cover before and doesn't really want to be doing the same thing too many times.

As an alternative idea, I always liked the 2nd story splash page from that particular issue featuring The Terrible Tinkerer. I requested a splash-to-cover commission as a replacement to the denied Vulture. Earlier this year Bruce had performed a similar thing for me, transforming the splash page from ASM # 4 into a cover image. That worked beautifully, I think (and can be seen in my CAF covers gallery 4), so I was confident that Bruce would do another great job with my ASM # 2 idea.

Here's the end-result . . .

cgc.jpg

That's the spider emblem at its boldest! And the sparks from the ray blast serve to prepare us visually for Electro's distinctive imagery coming up in issue #9. This classic scene makes a great alternative cover.

Bruce is on quite the roll with this and your covers to FF #16, Hulk #5, Daredevil #6 and Amazing Spider-Man #3-5's (just to list a few faves). :applause:

That's the spider emblem at its boldest! And the sparks from the ray blast serve to prepare us visually for Electro's distinctive imagery coming up in issue #9. This classic scene makes a great alternative cover.

Bruce is on quite the roll with this and your covers to FF #16, Hulk #5, Daredevil #6 and Amazing Spider-Man #3-5's (just to list a few faves). :applause:

Thanks. Funnily enough, I did see the possibilities for an Electro-type cover idea (using Spidey being blasted as the core image), but as I already have a request in for ASM # 9 I didn't really see the need to pursue such a composition.

Terry these are great.

I think this may (?) be the guy who previously had done reimagined covers to ASM 1 and 20 in the Ditko vein also.

I saw those and had an urge to possibly go for a reimagined cover too.

Terry these are great.

I think this may (?) be the guy who previously had done reimagined covers to ASM 1 and 20 in the Ditko vein also.

I've not seen any re-imagined cover by Bruce for ASM # 1?

Earlier this year I did put-together a cover idea in photo-shop as a guide for Bruce to transpose the splash page to cover for ASM # 20.

Along the way another collector had a similar commission idea, replacing Spider-man with the Blue Beetle, which Bruce completed before getting round to my idea.

This kinda destroyed the novelty of my own request and I consequently told Bruce to cancel my commission.

Here's my original (photo-shopped) concept idea for the aborted alternative ASM # 20:

cgc1.jpg

Terry these are great.

I've not seen any re-imagined cover by Bruce for ASM # 1?

Earlier this year I did put-together a cover idea in photo-shop as a guide for Bruce to transpose the splash page to cover for ASM # 20.

Along the way another collector had a similar commission idea, replacing Spider-man with the Blue Beetle, which Bruce completed before getting round to my idea.

This kinda destroyed the novelty of my own request and I consequently told Bruce to cancel my commission.

Here's my original (photo-shopped) concept idea for the aborted alternative ASM # 20:

cgc1.jpg

Don't remember where I saw these (by a different artist I think):

ASM%201%20cover%20reimagined_zpszj8h5nmc.jpg

ASM%2020%20cover%20reimagined_zpst0mdnied.jpg