• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edmonton Expo Comic Con September 23- 25 2016

122 posts in this topic

The pricing by a bunch of dealers are outrageously out there in terms of pricing.

The majority but not all.

Examples of absurdity.

Teen Titans #1 CGC 9.8 (Pedigree) listed at $22,000.00 cnd

Hero For Hire #1 CGC 9.6 listed at $12,000.00 cnd (or was it $22,000.00)

New Teen Titans #2 raw (9.0) $460.00 cnd

X-Men #94 CGC 9.0 $1,250.00 cnd

At some point on Friday I stopped asking for price on the wall books.

I spent 90% of my money with the Citadel boys. Ryan, Dave, Karl and Brian. They were in a good location and had a ton of traffic on Saturday. Friday was less than slow but small sales trickled in from time to time.

Watched the Canada vs. Russia game and was blown away by the national support. If baseball is America's pastime, hockey is an official religion here in Alberta.

Did manage to spend money and should do OK on what I did purchase.

The pricing by a bunch of dealers are outrageously out there.

Examples of absurdity.

If HfH #1 was being displayed by a Montreal vendor, then once you add the exchange rate and tax, it would be aggressively doh! listed at $22,000 Cnd loonies.

Examples of absurdity.

If HfH #1 was being displayed by a Montreal vendor, then once you add the exchange rate and tax, it would be aggressively doh! listed at $22,000 Cnd loonies.

Loonie is right.

Examples of absurdity.

Loonie is right.

I find when dealers do this it tells me they aren't interested in my business. Why bring it if it's not for sale?

Examples of absurdity.

Loonie is right.

I find when dealers do this it tells me they aren't interested in my business. Why bring it if it's not for sale?

Exactly. I simply say "thank you" and walk away.

Examples of absurdity.

Loonie is right.

lol

Show sales report.

Since the drop of the price of a barrel of oil the cnd $ has dropped 30% and there have been mass layoffs in the province. At one time we were constantly selling keys and wall books and there seemed to be almost zero buyer resistance, now they look, pick it up, put it down and walk away. Even the $20 'ha that's cool' type of retail sale is tough.

During the three day show I don't think I even got a low ball offer. :cry:.

Memorable sales?

Sold a HOS 92 - thanks John. A few piles of cheaper GA. Some modern books like New 52 Batman 1. Pile to Joey-much appreciated and sorry about the missing pages......Punisher mini series signed set, few other sets

Sold a ton of 50 cent books and enough odds and ends to add up but sales are probably 1/3 of what they were before the economy went in the dump.

The good news is that most of the stuff we sold had great profit margins so we did ok and we bought a few nice books and improved our inventory.

Three dealers I talked to won't be back.

Show sales report.

Since the drop of the price of a barrel of oil the cnd $ has dropped 30% and there have been mass layoffs in the province. At one time we were constantly selling keys and wall books and there seemed to be almost zero buyer resistance, now they look, pick it up, put it down and walk away. Even the $20 'ha that's cool' type of retail sale is tough.

Memorable sales?

Sold a HOS 92 - thanks John. A few piles of cheaper GA. Some modern books like New 52 Batman 1. Pile to Joey-much appreciated and sorry about the missing pages......Punisher mini series signed set, few other sets

Sold a ton of 50 cent books and enough odds and ends to add up but sales are probably 1/3 of what they were before the economy went in the dump.

The good news is that most of the stuff we sold had great profit margins so we did ok and we bought a few nice books and improved our inventory.

What pages were missing Dave?

Sales were down from last year, but it was mostly due to the lack of big book sales which is fine with me. I still hit the low end of my projected sales range so that is fine with me. The only bigger sale I had was selling my WWBN #32 CGC 7.5 to a regular customer. I did not really want to move it, but he saw it in my slab box under the table. lol

Books that were fast sellers included DC Rebirth and Regular relaunch #1s. I was surprised at how fast they were moving. The regular new Suicide Squad book sold well at $6 but a bit slower at $8, while the Bermejo variant to #1 sold well at $15. Harley #1 at $6 and the variant at $10 were slow and steady, while the DCU Rebirth #1 was a fast seller at $10 and then $15 - I think I am out of copies now. The Rebirth #1 variants all sold well at $10 to $12, except for Aquaman - I did not sell a single copy all weekend. lol

Deadpool vs. Thanos #1-4 sets moved well. I think this mini-series will be a big winner as the Infinity War storyline approaches. That being said, Deadpool was slow overall, which is a trend I have noticed throughout the year.

While Silver Keys were slow due to the higher price tag, Bronze and Copper keys/1st apps moved well. For Copper Age, I sold multiple copies of the Moon Knight (1980) #1, NTT #2, NTT #44, Spawn #1, Batman #357 & #386, and a number of other raw Copper books in the $50 range. That seemed to be the sweet spot for prices.

WRT other dealers not coming back next year, what is interesting is to hear the common complaints about most other sellers - 1) their prices are too high and 2) their grading is way off. As we discussed at the show, why would you spend the time and $$$ to set up for three days and not sell?

Show sales report.

Memorable sales?

What pages were missing Dave?

heh, I'm kidding :devil:

Sales were down from last year, but it was mostly due to the lack of big book sales which is fine with me. I still hit the low end of my projected sales range so that is fine with me. The only bigger sale I had was selling my WWBN #32 CGC 7.5 to a regular customer. I did not really want to move it, but he saw it in my slab box under the table. lol

Books that were fast sellers included DC Rebirth and Regular relaunch #1s. I was surprised at how fast they were moving. The regular new Suicide Squad book sold well at $6 but a bit slower at $8, while the Bermejo variant to #1 sold well at $15. Harley #1 at $6 and the variant at $10 were slow and steady, while the DCU Rebirth #1 was a fast seller at $10 and then $15 - I think I am out of copies now. The Rebirth #1 variants all sold well at $10 to $12, except for Aquaman - I did not sell a single copy all weekend. lol

Deadpool vs. Thanos #1-4 sets moved well. I think this mini-series will be a big winner as the Infinity War storyline approaches. That being said, Deadpool was slow overall, which is a trend I have noticed throughout the year.

While Silver Keys were slow due to the higher price tag, Bronze and Copper keys/1st apps moved well. For Copper Age, I sold multiple copies of the Moon Knight (1980) #1, NTT #2, NTT #44, Spawn #1, Batman #357 & #386, and a number of other raw Copper books in the $50 range. That seemed to be the sweet spot for prices.

WRT other dealers not coming back next year, what is interesting is to hear the common complaints about most other sellers - 1) their prices are too high and 2) their grading is way off. As we discussed at the show, why would you spend the time and $$$ to set up for three days and not sell?

Hopefully Harley is back next year!

We will see. As a seller, I am fine with less competition. :devil:

As a collector, I wish other dealers had decent stuff at realistic prices (not cheap, but fair)...... :tonofbricks:

I agree, the prices are not realistic at all. I guess we will keep buying from each other! All the money I spent this year was in our booth lol!