• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When selling a run, best to sell as unified lot, or break up?

20 posts in this topic

I've got some complete and near-complete runs of ASM and DD I'm preparing to part with. In your opinions and experiences, would it be better to sell them as a large lot (for example, Amazing Spider Man 200-300), or break them in smaller groups (ASM 200-210, 211-220, 221-230, etc.)?

For me it would depend how fast you want to move the books and how much you want to maximize on the money side.

Selling them individually will maximize your money but it will take more time. (but you will probably not sell every book).

Selling in groups of 10,20 or 100 books , I would think that people who expect a bigger discount.

Yeah. If you have patience and want to maximize your return, definitely break it up. Otherwise,it's just more convenient and faster to let the whole collection go at a discount.

In my experience, more revenues (but also more work) to list as single books or smaller lots.

If using small batches or mini-runs, list the keys (and even minor keys) separately anyway.

E.g. ASM 101,

ASM 102-110,

ASM 111-118,

ASM 119

ASM 120 (or 119-120)

ASM 121

ASM122

ASM 123-130

ASM 131-140

etc.

More work, but should end up with at least 20% more final total, often a good deal more.

That said, I'll be listing McFarlane's run on spidermanbay, and I'm considering same question re: 298-328. Will probably list in two lots, the first few, then 301-328 because less work, and I'll list latter at high BIN price (and use no reserve auction for the 298-300, maybe even 1 book per lot). And another lot of 50 ASM above 328 as a lot (pulling 361-3 as its own lot).

I used to delude myself that collectors valued the convenience of one-buy for a batch. Had a guy sell me Thor 127-192 at $15/ea (66x15=$990) but I'm giving it back, mine are nearly as nice. He explained they are more valuable as a lot, but nobody wants Thor anyway, do I really want to slog through selling all my new "undercopies" (just for the handful I don't already have, and several upgrades)?

I used to delude myself that collectors valued the convenience of one-buy for a batch. Had a guy sell me Thor 127-192 at $15/ea (66x15=$990) but I'm giving it back, mine are nearly as nice. He explained they are more valuable as a lot, but nobody wants Thor anyway, do I really want to slog through selling all my new "undercopies" (just for the handful I don't already have, and several upgrades)?

Sounds like you're hating on Thor because you didn't get copies that were as minty as you thought they were. There's nothing wrong with Thor: the Ego issues, the Warlock issues, and anything Galactus is an immediate sale. You just bought something you didn't need, so that doesn't really help this conversation any.

I wouldn't say runs are more valuable than single issues. In general, the more books you have in a lot, the less people expect to pay for each. The only time you want runs is selling drek. A random issue of Shadow War of Hawkman isn't worth a dime, but the set of 4 might sell for $4.

What about selling by story-arcs?

Like I got a Bat collection from #400-700 nearly complete (missing Hush) and so what do you say about pulling the obvious key singles (like #635) vs selling that story-arc (#635-638) that it's part of?

I sold my bat collection a few years ago and did really well selling them in large lots.

250-300

300-400

400-500

500-600

600-718 or whatever the 1940 series ended at

I feel like smaller lot's wouldn't have commanded much attention because some are just undesirable. Just make sure you have decent side boxes!

Sounds like you're hating on Thor because you didn't get copies that were as minty as you thought they were. There's nothing wrong with Thor: the Ego issues, the Warlock issues, and anything Galactus is an immediate sale. You just bought something you didn't need, so that doesn't really help this conversation any.

Exactly, he's taking the Thor run back, it wasn't much of an upgrade which I realized as I flipped through them, and I mainly took them as a favor to him that I decided against (after buying FF 2, 3, 10, 12 and a few early Hulks, etc.).

As to breaking it up and selling it piecemeal, I have enough comics I plan to sell already (hence I'm returning the lot). But I considered playing dealer for the lot, breaking out as separate listings the few that might sell for more than $15 ea (165-6, and 132-3, which have slowed quicker than usual for movie-spec book, and a few galactus books in the 60s sometimes garner interest). And once you list the keys separate the remainders will be slow movers, feeble $ as lots, and maybe 15 ea if you bust your balls.

[As to Thor being slow, good for me as collector, bad for me when selling; wish me luck, already have a couple dozen doubles #101-170 to move out this Fall.]

I troll eBay on a regular basis looking for lots of ASM to buy and often break up to resell individually.

For late copper and bronze, you could expect to get about $2 an issue (including shipping) at auction for about 100 issues of VF-NM comics. If you leave in keys you'll get more but you can't cherry pick every single issue. You'll have to leave in the $5, $10, and $20 books to get a nice sale on a lot at auction.

Granted, most ASM 200 lots don't have ASM 238, 252, 298-299, but at least they have 265, 293, and 294. McFarlane books will sell individually at auction every time unless it's a VG ASM 321. For ASM 329-400 You don't have to keep 361 in a lot but it helps. I would recommend keeping 344 in a lot to help it sell. In the 400s you are knee deep in the clone saga. 410, 430, and 431 help lots sell. The first half of Vol. 2 sells well on some days and not so well on other days, save those for a time when you'll have a lot of eyes. Most lots break out ASM Vol. 2 #36 so you'll lose no business breaking that one out but keeping in Vol. 2 #30, 51, and 52 will get you a good price at auction. The 500s are hard to sell individually on a regular basis. I recommend 500-528, break out Civil War 529-538, then 539-567, 568-573 New Ways to Die run, 583 if it is an Obama Variant, then 574-600. There are four $20-40 books between 601 and 611 then you can just list in lots of 10 or more unless you want to bulk up Spider Island in a lot. Lots of 10 issues in the 600s sell well at auction regardless of which issues.

Or you could send me a PM if you want to sell in bulk, but I think I am all out of storage right now. hm

I sold my bat collection a few years ago and did really well selling them in large lots.

250-300

300-400

400-500

500-600

I feel like smaller lot's wouldn't have commanded much attention because some are just undesirable. Just make sure you have decent side boxes!

So keep the keys even in big lots like that?

I troll eBay on a regular basis looking for lots of ASM to buy and often break up to resell individually.

For late copper and bronze, you could expect to get about $2 an issue (including shipping) at auction for about 100 issues of VF-NM comics. If you leave in keys you'll get more but you can't cherry pick every single issue. You'll have to leave in the $5, $10, and $20 books to get a nice sale on a lot at auction.

Granted, most ASM 200 lots don't have ASM 238, 252, 298-299, but at least they have 265, 293, and 294. McFarlane books will sell individually at auction every time unless it's a VG ASM 321. For ASM 329-400 You don't have to keep 361 in a lot but it helps. I would recommend keeping 344 in a lot to help it sell. In the 400s you are knee deep in the clone saga. 410, 430, and 431 help lots sell. The first half of Vol. 2 sells well on some days and not so well on other days, save those for a time when you'll have a lot of eyes. Most lots break out ASM Vol. 2 #36 so you'll lose no business breaking that one out but keeping in Vol. 2 #30, 51, and 52 will get you a good price at auction. The 500s are hard to sell individually on a regular basis. I recommend 500-528, break out Civil War 529-538, then 539-567, 568-573 New Ways to Die run, 583 if it is an Obama Variant, then 574-600. There are four $20-40 books between 601 and 611 then you can just list in lots of 10 or more unless you want to bulk up Spider Island in a lot. Lots of 10 issues in the 600s sell well at auction regardless of which issues.

Or you could send me a PM if you want to sell in bulk, but I think I am all out of storage right now. hm

Excellent report! Thanks.

In your opinions and experiences, would it be better to sell them as a large lot (for example, Amazing Spider Man 200-300), or break them in smaller groups (ASM 200-210, 211-220, 221-230, etc.)?

Thank goodness I don't have this problem with my Spidey books.

I only ones I have in this run would be #200, #238, and #298 to #300.

Wish I could say the same about my Marvel Knights Daredevil drek run, which is pretty well intact from #1 through to #100. doh!:tonofbricks:

Would you consider trading your Spidey 200 to 300 run for my Marvel Knight Daredevil run if I also toss in an extra couple hundred dollars? ;):wishluck:

In your opinions and experiences, would it be better to sell them as a large lot (for example, Amazing Spider Man 200-300), or break them in smaller groups (ASM 200-210, 211-220, 221-230, etc.)?

Thank goodness I don't have this problem with my Spidey books.

I only ones I have in this run would be #200, #238, and #298 to #300.

Wish I could say the same about my Marvel Knights Daredevil drek run, which is pretty well intact from #1 through to #100. doh!:tonofbricks:

Would you consider trading your Spidey 200 to 300 run for my Marvel Knight Daredevil run if I also toss in an extra couple hundred dollars? ;):wishluck:

Thank goodness you don't have a Spidey run, but you want to trade for one anyway? *scratches head*

250-300

300-400

400-500

500-600

So keep the keys even in big lots like that?

I did... Helped move the lesser value books and still made great money

I think it's best to break it up. Either by natural breaks (artists runs, storylines) or numerical ones (people like round numbers - so #200-#225, etc). But the other aspect I always take into consideration is shipping. I like to think about whatever shipping vessel I'll be using and select my runs to maximize that. I think it makes your lots most attractive. So if you're using a medium flat rate box, for example, sell in lots of 40 or so books... Since that's what fits comfortably well packed and bagged and boarded there. Etc. This is true if you're charging for shipping (making it seem worthwhile) or offering free shipping (maximizing your return on costs).

Good luck!

Breaking down by shipping is a great consideration I hadn't thought of.

As a buyer of lots, I'm not going to bid very high on some lot that has a $50 shipping charge. That absolutely comes out of the cost of the overall lot.