• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Bye Comic World

29 posts in this topic

Probably haven't really been on this site or a "buyer" since 2004, but back when I was buying pressing was highly frowned upon! I spent enough time hovering over books that I actually felt I was starting to get good at it as I had several submissions that came back with 9.6 and 9.8 grades. But that was then and this is now... I suppose.... I am in the process of selling off my collection in the pursuit of other dreams, and have been really torn about letting go.... but like this makes me happy I'm done! I don't really care anymore, I guess, but from an old timer, this game has lost its integrity...

Good luck to you all!

(reads from bottom up)

New message from: skee228 (23Yellow Star)

Your not talkin to a chump I'll buy the upc gold clean the bc and press it and make more money than your platinum.

On 8/28/16, 6:52 PM, sjburn_z wrote:

Re: skee228 has sent a question about item #222229108864, ending on Sep-03-16 22:07:43 PDT - Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.6 White PLATINUM EDITION EXTREMELY RARE!!!

Your crazy man. That book got grade and sat in the closet for 17 years.... Good luck on your quest to own one.

On 8/28/16, 5:50 PM, skee228 wrote:

skee228 has sent a question about item #222229108864, ending on Sep-03-16 22:07:43 PDT - Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.6 White PLATINUM EDITION EXTREMELY RARE!!! …

Really

On 8/28/16, 6:49 PM, sjburn_z wrote:

Re: skee228 has sent a question about item #222229108864, ending on Sep-03-16 22:07:43 PDT - Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.6 White PLATINUM EDITION EXTREMELY RARE!!!

Haha. Really?

On 8/28/16, 5:47 PM, skee228 wrote:

skee228 has sent a question about item #222229108864, ending on Sep-03-16 22:07:43 PDT - Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.6 White PLATINUM EDITION EXTREMELY RARE!!!

I can't even cpr yours the spine corners are to dinged

nope.... once owned a WWBN 9.6, IM 55 9.6, IH 180 9.6, now just down to my MSH 18 and some of the little runs I have put together all which is on the bay or soon to be. as they say.... keep it 100%! el done-o! will be hanging around until I move it all tho...

Another one to add to the list.

Exactly, there are so many of these types of "flip clowns"/"amateur pressers"

around spewing the same entitled garbage that it's become

the new "normal" of this hobby.

You can tell from his sense of entitlement and lack of intelligence

in his comments that his future of a wannabe dealer

is very short lived.

I had my handed to me with certification companies that couldn't (or probably more accurately wouldn't) detect restoration, delt with comic dealers that would micro trim comics so that it would get a Universal grade, delt with comic dealers that would take comics out of slabs, trim them and sell them as unrestored. And that was just the first 3 years after being gone for almost 20 years.

And I'm still here. Bad people are out there. Entitled self righteous individual_without_enough_empathys. But that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the hobby. I understand your frustration and definitely find empathy with your plight, because frankly we've (mostly) been there. I'm sure between a couple of us we could write a stinging expose about this little hobby that would turn heads.

I can totally understand this pressing game as being untenable by many, and the fact that the certification company's acceptance of it (mainly b/c it's lack of detection) is an unfortunate side effect. However, this can almost be safely avoided altogether by staying in the mid-grades, where you can also buy your books cheaper and enjoy them.

I can totally understand this pressing game as being untenable by many, and the fact that the certification company's acceptance of it (mainly b/c it's lack of detection) is an unfortunately side effect. However, this can almost be safely avoided altogether by staying in the mid-grades, where you can also buy your books cneaper and enjoy them.

Amen!

yea I get it, there person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bags everywhere.... I never was in it for the money, I paid $$$ my dues, put in some miles to find stuff before this way really even a thing, and submitted somethings you might fall on the floor laughing at or should I just say ROFLMAO?. And I enjoyed it, then... The fact is im just on to other things, the Elk are calling, daddy needs a pair of Swarovski 15x56 SLC binos! and I have to get rid of the down payment on the camper... Thats my stinking collection right there. lol. but I should have plenty of natural grass fed meat in the freezer.

Dude, dont let a handful of dooshbags ruin something you love. Im literally hanging in by a thread and have sold 90% of my books out of necessity. I also thought, man, I should just leave and be done. But i do love doing this. The hunt, the condition assessment, The feeling once you actually get it, the envy on other peoples faces. Same reasons I love my GF lol!

Thats really has nothing to do with it. Its more how open he was about pressing books that I just don't like. So I had to post it here. I am just out of the game. It was fun though and I will always step into a comic store and look to see whats behind the glass case, or dig through the boxes in the back to see what got missed,but buying and submitting well, I can pretty much guarantee I'm done. Heck, its been so long I didnt even have to buy a membership to see the census or submit. Got to admit thats a big turn off If Im just looking at getting one graded every now a then. Just pulled three raw NM 98 out of the box the other day, didnt even realize I had them, I wouldnt go below 9.4 on any of them, but thats my old school grading eye, they could be 9.8s for all I know.... heck lets press them too! but they will most like go to someone I know thats honest with me...

Thats really has nothing to do with it. Its more how open he was about pressing books that I just don't like. So I had to post it here. I am just out of the game. It was fun though and I will always step into a comic store and look to see whats behind the glass case, or dig through the boxes in the back to see what got missed,but buying and submitting well, I can pretty much guarantee I'm done. Heck, its been so long I didnt even have to buy a membership to see the census or submit. Got to admit thats a big turn off If Im just looking at getting one graded every now a then. Just pulled three raw NM 98 out of the box the other day, didnt even realize I had them, I wouldnt go below 9.4 on any of them, but thats my old school grading eye, they could be 9.8s for all I know.... heck lets press them too! but they will most like go to someone I know thats honest with me...

Pressing has gotten so rampant , everyone and their mother is doing it. It's really quite sad, gone are the days of searching for that beautiful NM book. Now you just have to find a VF and maximize it's potential. I am not a fan of pressing, and probably why I just go for horror mags these days. Not enough money for the pressers to maximize in horror books.

well gald to say everything I am selling right now is way before all this started, and true tough grades, even had a couple red labels. check them out seller name is sjburn_z. Already been asked a couple times how I got so many old labeled CGC cases. Been sitting in the closet for 17 years out of sunlight and in the desert, and more or less untouched! Now I just hope they find good homes...