• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hunting the 6 variants of Batman 457 (1st Tim Drake ROBIN)
8 8

511 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's what I suspected. I imagine going forward, that might change, but these books are so niche and rare, it's hard to say. If CGC had taken a proactive stance with differentiating Directs from newsstands...regardless of the justification for it...20 years ago, this would have been addressed in the market long before now. We're still hearing stories of buyers saying "hey...this isn't the book you pictured!" and sellers getting pissy and saying "what do you care? What's the difference??"

Thus far, we have four books that shouldn't, by all accounts, exist, in order of discovery:

1. Spiderman #1 2nd print newsstand (aka "gold upc")

2. Batman #457 2nd print news

3. Superman #50 2nd print news

4. Robin #1 2nd print news

....plus, the Superman #75 3rd and 4th print news (not counting the 2nd print, because it's just a Direct version with a UPC sticker as a "make-do.")

So that's 6 altogether.

I wonder if we'll find more?

Justice League New 52 #1 had a 3rd and 4th printing come out in newsstand format, which was very odd.   Again, probably due to demand.  I have them both in hand.   I bought them both on ebay just because I thought it was very odd to see 3rd and 4th printings in newsstand.   I never saw a #1 2nd printing newsstand issue.

3 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Justice League New 52 #1 had a 3rd and 4th printing come out in newsstand format, which was very odd.   Again, probably due to demand.  I have them both in hand.   I bought them both on ebay just because I thought it was very odd to see 3rd and 4th printings in newsstand.   I never saw a #1 2nd printing newsstand issue.

If there's a 3rd and 4th, there has to be a 2nd. Somewhere.

15 hours ago, manetteska said:

Any possibility Robin #1 3rd print has a newsstand version?

It's been considered, but it's highly unlikely.

It was highly unlikely for the 2nd print to have one, but it exists.

But...it's possible. If it exists, someone will find it.

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's been considered, but it's highly unlikely.

It was highly unlikely for the 2nd print to have one, but it exists.

But...it's possible. If it exists, someone will find it.

Up until about 5 years ago Batman 457 2nd print newsstand was thought to have been a myth (some had theorized that the only known image was photo-shopped).  Since then, 25+ copies of the Batman 457 2nd print have now surfaced.  The prices on ebay seem to be well above $1K, and more like $2K for higher grade.  The insatiable demand and prices are very surprising to me.  I think that goes to show you how die-hard the Batman variant collectors are.   On the other hand, only 2 copies of the Superman 50 2nd print newsstand have surfaced.  I believe there should be just as many Superman 50's out there, but I don't think there is anywhere near the same interest in finding them as the Batman's.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

I think part of the reason why we see more Batman 457s is that it was a particularly significant issue and so more likely to pop up on eBay.

While Superman 50 is also a special issue, the selling prices of the regular edition just aren’t high enough to get folks to bother to put them up, which makes finding a 2nd print newsstand all that more difficult.

7 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Up until about 5 years ago Batman 457 2nd print newsstand was thought to have been a myth (some had theorized that the only known image was photo-shopped).  Since then, 25+ copies of the Batman 457 2nd print have now surfaced.  The prices on ebay seem to be well above $1K, and more like $2K for higher grade.  The insatiable demand and prices are very surprising to me.  I think that goes to show you how die-hard the Batman variant collectors are.   On the other hand, only 2 copies of the Superman 50 2nd print newsstand have surfaced.  I believe there should be just as many Superman 50's out there, but I don't think there is anywhere near the same interest in finding them as the Batman's.

Here's a thread from 2009 that I think might be the first public mention and picture of Batman #457 2nd News.

Obviously... lol ....I didn't understand the implications of what I was looking at at the time.

:blush:

At one point, in another thread, I think I even disputed the existence of these books, saying they couldn't possibly exist, because they shouldn't exist.

I was right...sorta. But time has proven me wrong. ;)

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Earl Davis said it was posted at CPG first, so they should get credit.

C'mon now, you know that Mr. Browning "discovered" these variants, just like he "discovered" the M.O.S. trade and everything else he "" discovered". Heck, didn't he also discover the D.C.U. variants?  :insane:

1 minute ago, joecgcmaniac said:

C'mon now, you know that Mr. Browning "discovered" these variants, just like he "discovered" the M.O.S. trade and everything else he "" discovered". Heck, didn't he also discover the D.C.U. variants?  :insane:

:whistle:

I heard he might have discovered King Tut's tomb.....

And if anyone can, he'll discover Jimmy Hoffa's body....

:D

36 minutes ago, joecgcmaniac said:

Oh no. Jon McClure "discovered" them, along with the 30/35 cent variants, in 1998.