• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hunting the 6 variants of Batman 457 (1st Tim Drake ROBIN)
8 8

511 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That makes, I imagine, 8-10 copies of Robin #1 second printing newsstand, and 2 confirmed Superman #50 second newsstands.

There's "jaydogrules"'s answer as to why I think Robin #1 2nd news is more common.

Great point.   Plus about 25 known copies of Batman 457 2nd print news.   In my mind, it is hard to say at this time about which ones are most rare.  A lot of people look for the Batman 457 2nd news, but not sure many people are looking for the Robin or the Superman.

24 minutes ago, s.krank said:

Begs the question---- were they only sold on newsstands?

No. They weren't sold on any newsstands. There was no mechanism in place for that to happen. The newsstand 2nds are an anomaly, that shouldn't exist, as is the Spiderman #1 2nd news.

I suspect it was the printer deciding to keep the plates as they were. X-Factor #71 sold out pretty quick, so I imagine they still had the plates. If I had to guess, I would imagine they printed the Direct, then the newsstand...and a week or two later, got the order for the second print (it happened pretty fast) and just used the newsstand plate.

16 minutes ago, s.krank said:

So you're saying it's a direct book with a upc, not a ns at all?

Yes.

16 minutes ago, s.krank said:

Wasn't Spidey 1 gold available on newsstands? 

The second printing of Spider-Man 1 has two versions, the second printing of X-Factor 71 only has the one.

3 hours ago, s.krank said:

So you're saying it's a direct book with a upc, not a ns at all?  Wasn't Spidey 1 gold available on newsstands? 

Lazyboy answered both, but I'll add that Spiderman #1 gold UPC was available at selected newsstands: in this case, almost certainly only available at Walmarts across the country that sold comics.

A theory I have about that and the other newsstands of around this time is that it was Walmart that requested all of them.

But no, X-Factor #71 2nd was never available on the newsstand.

I got an error copy of 457 1st print the other day. I also got these two

DsU3-6dUwAEcMCx.jpg

Anyone know how rare they are? They look pretty nice grade. I sold a pair of 492s and 491s, one direct and one newsstand each here on the boards but couldn't find any comps for these two,

4 hours ago, Bird said:

I got an error copy of 457 1st print the other day. I also got these two

DsU3-6dUwAEcMCx.jpg

Anyone know how rare they are? They look pretty nice grade. I sold a pair of 492s and 491s, one direct and one newsstand each here on the boards but couldn't find any comps for these two,

The 497 III without the wrap is kind of hard to find (probably could sell for $10 to $20).  The 493 II should be very common.

When you say you got a 457 direct error copy, I am assuming it had 000 in the indicia... correct?   After checking around the direct first print with 457 in the indicia seems to be a little harder to find.

5 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

The 497 III without the wrap is kind of hard to find (probably could sell for $10 to $20).  The 493 II should be very common.

When you say you got a 457 direct error copy, I am assuming it had 000 in the indicia... correct?   After checking around the direct first print with 457 in the indicia seems to be a little harder to find.

Yes, that is what I mean. That is my second, have not found a newsstand 1st print 000 yet. Thank for the info on those other two. :golfclap:

Edited by Bird

I just got some Batman 457 newsstands off ebay for the 15% code, three raw and one 9.4, which I will crack I guess to see if it is the error copy. I am posting this because I came across something odd today while also looking for Sandman 75 second prints...what is thisSandman 75? Anyone know? Not a first or second obviously...

DsjjVfsVYAA3W4a.jpg

Were copies sold with toys or something? Should I go back and get it?

5 hours ago, Bird said:

I just got some Batman 457 newsstands off ebay for the 15% code, three raw and one 9.4, which I will crack I guess to see if it is the error copy. I am posting this because I came across something odd today while also looking for Sandman 75 second prints...what is thisSandman 75? Anyone know? Not a first or second obviously...

DsjjVfsVYAA3W4a.jpg

Were copies sold with toys or something? Should I go back and get it?

I think that's the newsstand copy if it released in March of that year.  I doubt they made Sandman toys :D