• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hunting the 6 variants of Batman 457 (1st Tim Drake ROBIN)
8 8

511 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, First Upgrade said:

So, this Batman 457 2nd print Newsstand sits unsold on eBay, with a $5k asking price, or best offer...

What do you all think is a 'reasonable' estimated valuation for this example??...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173859590723

not $5,000. Why they got Neal to sketch on it, I have no idea. Really detracts from this book.

On 4/7/2019 at 5:02 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

I think you are about right... there's now 4 or 5 copies.   It is interesting to me how they eventually come out of the woodwork if the price gets really high.   Thanks for pointing this out.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:33 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

For posterity here was the end of this 3 auction of the 2nd print.

Screenshot_20190501-203206~2.png

This seller has been auctioning numerous copies on ebay.  I happened to bid on copies and kept losing.  He listed another copy on May 24th.  It was $100 starting bid or best offer.  It was also a 12 hour quick auction.  I submitted an offer which was declined.  Someone else submitted a bid so I bid as well.  I end up winning the bid but when I try to pay, ebay declines my payment since the sale was canceled by the seller.  Ebay sale detail says:

"This order was canceled  The seller canceled your order"

I emailed the seller for explanation and he replies the next day:

"Hello, Sorry for the mishap. This is just as confusing for me because I never had this happen. Let me look into the situation? I went to bed last night and the auction was still going. I woke to see this message and the buyer has cancelled from ebay. Let me see what I can do. Are you still interested in the item?"

I responded in the affirmative.   Please note that he says that the buyer canceled when ebay clearly states that the seller canceled.

He never got back to me so I emailed again (May 26) to get the status and he again did not respond.  I decided to wait but as I was scanning through ebay listings (May 27), I found he had relisted the same book that I had won.  It is listed as a new auction with $100 starting bid and make an offer.  I tried to submit an offer along with a message to the seller in order to confront him.  However, I was blocked!

I then called ebay and complained.  The support staffer agreed that I had a valid complaint.  Of course, they will "investigate" but I am not holding my breath.

Ironically, my winning bid was less than my original offer.  I guess he couldn't accept the fact that he screwed up so he screwed me instead.

Venting done.

On 4/11/2019 at 10:21 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

not $5,000. Why they got Neal to sketch on it, I have no idea. Really detracts from this book.

I wonder if this is one of the copies that had the black line going through the upc so they had it sketched on to cover that up? Anyway looks like it's up for auction wonder what it ends at.

Ebay Auction for the 457 Neal Adams sketch 2nd prt Newsstand

9 hours ago, chevalmeow said:

I  

Sorry to hear this one. I have bid on a few of these issues( No win) . So far according to eBay I have seen a total of 7 sell.

( Not sure how many of these may have been like your issues with it) 

They have been in various condition from seller described high grade to the most recent with creases on corners and bends.  I have been watching them as Kirk had a post discussing the rarity and looking through cgc there has only been 1 graded (9.2) so far , as compared to the op Batman 2nd print newsstand that currently has 28, of which 1 is the 9.4 SS currently listed on eBay

4 hours ago, JWKyle said:

Screenshot_20190508-230813~2.png

Screenshot_20190508-230702~2.png

12 hours ago, JWKyle said:

I wonder if this is one of the copies that had the black line going through the upc so they had it sketched on to cover that up? Anyway looks like it's up for auction wonder what it ends at.

Ebay Auction for the 457 Neal Adams sketch 2nd prt Newsstand

Yeah, that makes sense. Neal didn't do a very good job of it...Robin's head should have been closer to the UPC...but that makes sense, incorporating a slash through the UPC into a sketch. 

Too bad Norm's not with us...it would have been better for him to do it.

I love this issue a lot. One of my faves.