• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hunting the 6 variants of Batman 457 (1st Tim Drake ROBIN)
8 8

511 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2019 at 9:36 PM, JWKyle said:

this is one of the copies that had the black line going through the upc

Yes. It certainly was...but...

On 5/28/2019 at 9:49 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Neal didn't do a very good job of it...

No. He certainly did not...

On 6/2/2019 at 9:45 AM, JWKyle said:

This book is getting up there a bit. 

Yes. And, it got up there just a bit too much...the book apparently did not sell to the highest bidder as it is relisted with a BIN of ~$3k...

...Villainy afoot...

On 5/27/2019 at 4:59 PM, chevalmeow said:

This seller has been auctioning numerous copies on ebay.  I happened to bid on copies and kept losing.  He listed another copy on May 24th.  It was $100 starting bid or best offer.  It was also a 12 hour quick auction.  I submitted an offer which was declined.  Someone else submitted a bid so I bid as well.  I end up winning the bid but when I try to pay, ebay declines my payment since the sale was canceled by the seller.  Ebay sale detail says:

"This order was canceled  The seller canceled your order"

I emailed the seller for explanation and he replies the next day:

"Hello, Sorry for the mishap. This is just as confusing for me because I never had this happen. Let me look into the situation? I went to bed last night and the auction was still going. I woke to see this message and the buyer has cancelled from ebay. Let me see what I can do. Are you still interested in the item?"

I responded in the affirmative.   Please note that he says that the buyer canceled when ebay clearly states that the seller canceled.

He never got back to me so I emailed again (May 26) to get the status and he again did not respond.  I decided to wait but as I was scanning through ebay listings (May 27), I found he had relisted the same book that I had won.  It is listed as a new auction with $100 starting bid and make an offer.  I tried to submit an offer along with a message to the seller in order to confront him.  However, I was blocked!

I then called ebay and complained.  The support staffer agreed that I had a valid complaint.  Of course, they will "investigate" but I am not holding my breath.

Ironically, my winning bid was less than my original offer.  I guess he couldn't accept the fact that he screwed up so he screwed me instead.

Venting done.

I found a Superman 50 2nd print newsstand in the wild today.  It is in FN- condition and is a spare for me.  If anyone needs this, feel free to send me a PM.  I'm always interested in trading.

On 1/18/2020 at 1:24 AM, waaaghboss said:

quarter bin today

^^

0ojgy4tvahb41.jpg

Just noticed it has a 50 cent price sticker from Sears surplus on the back.  Were these sold loose through sears?

123.jpg

Great find!   Given the look of the sticker, I am guessing that one was re-sold at a Sears instead of sold there originally.   

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

There are a couple of mislabeled 2nd print Direct editions in CGC slabs for sale on eBay. They're second printings, but not noted on the slab label. I wonder how those got through...

I see this one, tempting...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMAN-50-D-C-COMICS-12-1990-CLARK-KENT-LOIS-LANE-ENGAGED-CGC-9-8-NM-MT/333491440108?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

The census shows 0 9.8 second printings in grade, and one 1 in 9.6. I wonder how many of theses there are out there that are mislabeled. 

Now I'm interested in the Batman #457 variants also...

19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

hm

That sticker is absolutely fascinating!

Yah, I could be wrong but I dont think sears sold used books.  Jc pennies used to sell comic packs in their christmas catalog in the toys section, and I'm sure Sears did the same.

I cant remember what books I got, so I'm not sure if the books were ne ees stand or direct.  My guess is, maybe this book was made for the 1990 Sears Christmas catalog, and the surplus was broken down and sold at a Sears surplus store.  

If anyone has a 90 or 91 sears xmas catelog laying around, I'd be curious which comics wre shown in the toy section.  Might explain the scarcity, as the main recipients of these bundles would be little kids from their grandparents.  Kind of a long shot for sure.

Edited by waaaghboss

1 minute ago, waaaghboss said:

Yah, I could be wrong but I dont think sears sold used books.  Jc pennies used to sell comic packs in their christmas catalog in the toys section, and I'm sure Sears did the same.

I cant remember what books I got, so I'm not sure if the books were ne ees stand or direct.  My guess is, maybe this book was made for the 1990 Sears Christmas catalog, and the surplus was broken down and sold at a Sears surplus store.  

If anyone has a 90 or 91 sears xmas catelog laying around, I'd be curious which comics wre shown in the toy section.  Might explain the scarcity, as the main recipients of these bundles would be little kids from their grandparents.  Kind of a long shot for sure.

It could explain why these books exist at all. So far, we've identified the three: Bats #457, Supes #50, and Robin #1....all clustered around the same month (Dec90/Jan91 cover date, published in Oct/Nov 1990.)

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It could explain why these books exist at all. So far, we've identified the three: Bats #457, Supes #50, and Robin #1....all clustered around the same month (Dec90/Jan91 cover date, published in Oct/Nov 1990.)

Found this in the 89 catelog.  Newstand and direct editions in the same bundle.  Although, wasn't power pack only direct?

Dont see it in the 91 catelog, and they seem to all be directs.

Looks like batman 447 in the 91 catalog,  so 92 catalog is the more likely source.

Screenshot_20200127-104525_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200127-105834_Chrome.jpg

Edited by waaaghboss

The catalogs are great....but...

Something I can't quite put my finger on tells me that these books were *probably* not part of this.

Why? The Spiderman #1 Gold, for one. And Direct seconds for these books already existed, and existed because of instant sellout demand. If they were reprints (like some of the Marvel books)...why not just make them "third" prints? It wouldn't have been unheard of. And why *these* particular books? All the other books are completely random.

PS. Picture #13 shows the orange short box that that set came in. I still have one. ;)

It's beat to hell, but I have it.

21 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The catalogs are great....but...

Something I can't quite put my finger on tells me that these books were *probably* not part of this.

Why? The Spiderman #1 Gold, for one. And Direct seconds for these books already existed, and existed because of instant sellout demand. If they were reprints (like some of the Marvel books)...why not just make them "third" prints? It wouldn't have been unheard of. And why *these* particular books? All the other books are completely random.

PS. Picture #13 shows the orange short box that that set came in. I still have one. ;)

It's beat to hell, but I have it.

I think you're probably right :)

That orange box is a nostalgia trip.  I got that package for xmas as a kid, and I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I was finally able to fill that box with comics.  I poured through that oversheet price guide for days, I'd love to get my hands on a copy now.   Sadly the only thing I have left from that set is the poster, which is still awesone!

On 1/27/2020 at 1:47 PM, waaaghboss said:

Found this in the 89 catelog.  Newstand and direct editions in the same bundle.  Although, wasn't power pack only direct?

Dont see it in the 91 catelog, and they seem to all be directs.

Looks like batman 447 in the 91 catalog,  so 92 catalog is the more likely source.

Screenshot_20200127-104525_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200127-105834_Chrome.jpg

What immediately pops out to me about the DC Comics Value Pack (item #12 in the catalog) is that every comic book shown in that catalog was reprinted as a 2nd printing (and usually marked as such in the indicia).   Some of us suspected those comic books were sold in those 3-packs that were sold in Kay-Bee Toys and Toys R Us.   But I've never seen any of those second prints actually contained in a 3-pack.   So perhaps they were only made for the Sears value pack.  I really appreciate you for posting that photo. 

18 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And....

Do other known 2nds of the era...Action #662, Superman #53, Robin #2...have newsstands? Not that we know...yet...

Lobo #1? Armageddon 2001 #1, Batman Annual #15?

If anyone were to find them, I would guess it would be you RMA.  You are the master of finding these oddities.

1 hour ago, Cpt Kirk said:
19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And....

Do other known 2nds of the era...Action #662, Superman #53, Robin #2...have newsstands? Not that we know...yet...

Lobo #1? Armageddon 2001 #1, Batman Annual #15?

If anyone were to find them, I would guess it would be you RMA.  You are the master of finding these oddities.

lol

I don't think anyone's found more oddballs than you, Kirk! :)

I suspect they don't exist. Frankly, I'm amazed at the flood of Robin #1s, and that one seller on eBay who seemed to have the entire print run of Superman #50s...that justinmccour fellow...and yet, no corresponding flood of Batman #457s.

hm

I'm thrilled that these were dug out of hiding and we've proven they exist in decent numbers...I'd guess there are 50+ Robin #1s that we know for sure exist, and 30-40 Superman #50s. And I'm amazed that people are still willing to pay more than $5 or so for a copy. Of course, I wish I'd found more for nothing, but that's the risk you take: you can't buy what isn't offered, but if no one knows it's worth anything, they're not going to offer to sell it unless you're really lucky. They had to be flushed out of hiding, and now they have been.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

lol

I don't think anyone's found more oddballs than you, Kirk! :)

I suspect they don't exist. Frankly, I'm amazed at the flood of Robin #1s, and that one seller on eBay who seemed to have the entire print run of Superman #50s...that justinmccour fellow...and yet, no corresponding flood of Batman #457s.

hm

I'm thrilled that these were dug out of hiding and we've proven they exist in decent numbers...I'd guess there are 50+ Robin #1s that we know for sure exist, and 30-40 Superman #50s. And I'm amazed that people are still willing to pay more than $5 or so for a copy. Of course, I wish I'd found more for nothing, but that's the risk you take: you can't buy what isn't offered, but if no one knows it's worth anything, they're not going to offer to sell it unless you're really lucky. They had to be flushed out of hiding, and now they have been.

I agree.  I think those high prices helped flush them out.