• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hunting the 6 variants of Batman 457 (1st Tim Drake ROBIN)
8 8

511 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I think that's the newsstand copy if it released in March of that year.  I doubt they made Sandman toys :D

Thanks! It was advertised as a newsstand but I saw absolutely no others when I searched around. I'll keep looking for that 2nd print though, and probably buy up any more of these I see as well.

On 11/21/2018 at 2:27 PM, Bird said:

okay, I am officially obsessed. Hit two shops after lunch today and got another Batman 457 Direct Edition 000 code. I didn't open it in the store but ther eit is! I also got a Maxx 20 newsstand and a Batman 493 2nd print.

It's OK.  You are among friends here.   We can help you through this!

On 11/21/2018 at 9:45 PM, Bird said:

Thanks! It was advertised as a newsstand but I saw absolutely no others when I searched around. I'll keep looking for that 2nd print though, and probably buy up any more of these I see as well.

I have a 9.6 blue label second printing Sandman 75 that was untouched - you could very very easily press it into a 9.8. Not labeled as such on the label, however, but it is one. If that's something you'd be interested in, LMK.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:45 PM, Bird said:

That's the newsstand, BTW, and it is tough - you should buy it.

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

That's the newsstand, BTW, and it is tough - you should buy it.

Yeah, I bought the newsstand but thank you for the confirmation. I am treasure hunting the second print so...but thank you for the offer on a tough book.

1 minute ago, Bird said:

Yeah, I bought the newsstand but thank you for the confirmation. I am treasure hunting the second print so...but thank you for the offer on a tough book.

Good luck! That's how I found mine.

On 11/21/2018 at 3:09 PM, Bird said:

I am posting this because I came across something odd today while also looking for Sandman 75 second prints...what is thisSandman 75? Anyone know? Not a first or second obviously...

DsjjVfsVYAA3W4a.jpg

Were copies sold with toys or something? Should I go back and get it?

WTF? Sandman didn't have newsstand distribution.

16 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I have had two people tell me that the seller was correct and that it is a newsstand but yeah, I am surprised as well. Now I have to decide if I should slab it and if I think they will designate it as something, newsstand...third print...whatever, on the label.

11 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

It would be nice to know the  full range of Vertigo newsstand issues, Here's a Sandman 69 picture (from an auction listing) to go with the 75

sandman 69.jpg

Edited by David Buck

well, the news of the Tim Drake 457 seems to be out to the general public with all those $2K auctions on ebay. Maybe Sandman newsstands will be a thing, but I doubt it as I not one to be at the forefront of such a thing. The Robin issue seems to be a good one to go for as well.

On 11/23/2018 at 2:51 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 11/21/2018 at 1:09 PM, Bird said:

Were copies sold with toys or something? Should I go back and get it?

Oh, but it did.....at least the last 10-20 issues or so....

:whistle:

I would imagine that, since Sandman trades were a big, big seller at that point in time, that the national book sellers...B&N, Borders, the usual suspects....had convinced DC to do some newsstand distribution, a la "Spiderman #1 Gold UPC" several years earlier. I imagine not a single copy ever made it to a "traditional" newsstand.

They are exceptionally scarce, but they do exist (as the pictures above demonstrate.)

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I would imagine that, since Sandman trades were a big, big seller at that point in time, that the national book sellers...B&N, Borders, the usual suspects....had convinced DC to do some newsstand distribution, a la "Spiderman #1 Gold UPC" several years earlier. I imagine not a single copy ever made it to a "traditional" newsstand.

They are exceptionally scarce, but they do exist (as the pictures above demonstrate.)

Mile High has newsstands of 70-72 on their site, along with images of

72075408888.71.NEWSSTAND.jpg

and

72075408888.72.NEWSSTAND.jpg

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
On 11/23/2018 at 4:51 PM, Lazyboy said:

Oh, but it did.....at least the last 10-20 issues or so....

:whistle:

BobWO.gif.ab075033ee4f946d73a39f902229d343.gif

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That would be my assumption, now that I know they exist.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

BobWO.gif.ab075033ee4f946d73a39f902229d343.gif

Maybe I should have kept that to myself and then started a cross country tour, scouring the nation for Sandman newsstands! I guess I will just have to scour locally now.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
15 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

First the late 80s UPCs, and now the Sandmans...? Man, you have some catching up to do. :D

But seriously, I think that's entirely it. Sandman trades were FLYING off the shelves, especially when DC announced that #75 would be the last issue. I don't remember a time when Sandman was more popular. Tori Amos, a close friend of Neil's, was also popular at the time, and I think she mentions that she's a big Sandman fan around this time....1994-1995.

Today I got a newsstand 457 with no error code. I also got some later prints; Batman 489 2nd print (1st Azrael in Batman costume or somesuch), Adventures of Superman 497 3rdprint and 498 3rd print. I passed on th folowing, mostly because these things are too much to remember but I put in my phone what was where - Robin 13, 14 with DCU barcode, Spawn 63 newstand and a beat up Spawn 62 newsstand, Batman 493 2nd print, which I have one of and it was $5. But I might go back. Should I have gotten those Robins? There were also a bunch of later Spawn variants at $10-$15 but none of the big sellers.

Yeah, I kinda wasted the day on it, hitting three shops. But I did also get some $1 Showcase books, including 94 #3, and two issues with Dr. Fate & The Shade, which was kind of a precursor to the James Robinson Starman series and which I have some OA from. So finding those was awesome.

I also got two books for my gift exchange person. And found a guy with GA Archie's, priced $35-$100 for the few that were out but he said to email what GA I am interest in (no Planets to be found) and he will pull them for me to peruse.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:26 PM, bellrules said:

In my hunt for sealed packs, I got these sealed issues in sealed ultra pro rigid bags. Robin 1 2nd print Newsstand I believe.

987E4FDE-32B7-46C5-B1D6-95D3F09C3E28.jpeg

Wow... this seems like a significant find.  I wonder if the Superman 50 2nd print newsstand and Batman 457 2nd print newsstand came in a similar pack?   That might explain why some of the BM 457 2nd print news copies have a heavy black mark through the code, so that a sales clerk would not scan the comic book bar code instead of the pack bar code.    

Edited by Cpt Kirk