• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hunting the 6 variants of Batman 457 (1st Tim Drake ROBIN)
8 8

511 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/292615318492?item=292615318492&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Quite a price for Robin (1991) mini....

:whistle:

I drove the high bidder...I am the 3376 bidder. I was interested in seeing how high he would go. Unfortunately, I forgot about the auction at the end, but another bidder came along, trying to snipe, but couldn't. 

$117.50 for a book that is not correctly identified is QUITE an aggressive price.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/292615318492?item=292615318492&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

I drove the high bidder...I am the 3376 bidder. I was interested in seeing how high he would go. Unfortunately, I forgot about the auction at the end, but another bidder came along, trying to snipe, but couldn't. 

$117.50 for a book that is not correctly identified is QUITE an aggressive price.

What was driving the price so high on that auction?   Was it just the Robin newsstand issue?

Just now, Cpt Kirk said:

What was driving the price so high on that auction?   Was it just the Robin newsstand issue?

2nd Print Robin #1 newsstand. Same as Bat #457 and Supes #50.

Just now, ygogolak said:

2nd Print Robin #1 newsstand. Same as Bat #457 and Supes #50.

Except only one has any story significance.

Ok, I'll take the bait: which one, how, and why is "story significance" relevant to the conversation?

And those are serious questions.

16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Ok, I'll take the bait: which one, how, and why is "story significance" relevant to the conversation?

Because we're in the Copper thread. If it was Moderns I could see it having to do with the cover or print.

32 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Because we're in the Copper thread. If it was Moderns I could see it having to do with the cover or print.

You don't really know what these are, or why a copy of Robin #1 just sold for $117.50, do you...?

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You don't really know what these are, or why a copy of Robin #1 just sold for $117.50, do you...?

$117? What did the Batman just sell for?

exactly....

29 minutes ago, joecgcmaniac said:

Yet somehow, the Death of Superman and DC Universe covers and prints have been discussed quite thoroughly in Copper threads. :baiting:

Discussed yes, and?

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

$117? What did the Batman just sell for?

exactly....

lol

2d868o.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

So, the facts that:

1. The Robin newsstand second print was not identified directly in any way in the listing

and

2. The Batman #457 is far more widely known and publicized, currently

...have little to do with the ending price...?

:popcorn:

Come on, gogo....you're smarter than this.

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

lol

2d868o.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

So, the facts that:

1. The Robin newsstand second print was not identified directly in any way in the listing

and

2. The Batman #457 is far more widely known and publicized, currently

...have little to do with the ending price...?

:popcorn:

Come on, gogo....you're smarter than this.

There is no significance to Robin #1, thus nobody cares about it. Same with a superman.

You're smarter than this.

Edited by ygogolak

4 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

There is no significance to Robin #1, thus nobody cares about it. Same with a superman.

You're smarter than this.

lol

Wellll....

Robin #1 is the first "Robin" title ever. Not the first time the character starred in his own series, sure...but the first time Batman's sidekick got his own self-titled series

Superman #50 is the first "real" time that Clark and Lois got engaged.

And Batman #457 is....Tim gets a new costume.

No, the reality is that hardly anyone KNOWS about Robin #1 and Superman #50....and there aren't any Superman #50 copies to be found for sale...not that Robin #1 and Superman #50 "have no significance." They have about as much significance as Batman #457...but Bats #457 was the first one discovered, so it's gotten the most press.

When all factors are not equal, as in this situation, you cannot begin drawing conclusions. If all factors were equal, would Batman #457 still be the most valuable...? Probably! It's Batman, the main title, after all. But the fact that you dismiss the Robin listing out of hand at ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN DOLLARS, even though it wasn't described properly at ALL, for a book that would otherwise sell for a dollar or two shows that you're not really getting the point, here.

Your logic is not sound. 

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

lol

Wellll....

Robin #1 is the first "Robin" title ever. Not the first time the character starred in his own series, sure...but the first time Batman's sidekick got his own self-titled series

No, the reality is that hardly anyone KNOWS about Robin #1 and Superman #50....and there aren't any Superman #50 copies to be found for sale...not that Robin #1 and Superman #50 "have no significance." They have about as much significance as Batman #457...but Bats #457 was the first one discovered, so it's gotten the most press.

When all factors are not equal, as in this situation, you cannot begin drawing conclusions. If all factors were equal, would Batman #457 still be the most valuable...? Probably! It's Batman, the main title, after all. But the fact that you dismiss the Robin listing out of hand at ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN DOLLARS, even though it wasn't described properly at ALL, for a book that would otherwise sell for a dollar or two shows that you're not really getting the point, here.

Your logic is not sound. 

Batman 457 is known as the first Tim Drake Robin. Obviously you don't agree with this or you would have mentioned it. But that's what the market thinks. It sells for $10 in high grade regularly. The others don't sell.

So, this logic you were speaking of?

44 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Batman 457 is known as the first Tim Drake Robin. Obviously you don't agree with this or you would have mentioned it. But that's what the market thinks. It sells for $10 in high grade regularly. The others don't sell.

So, this logic you were speaking of?

Batman #442 is the first Tim Drake Robin, not #457. Yes, Drake becomes Robin "officially" (not that there's an official swearing in ceremony or anything) in #457, but he is, for all intents, Robin as of #442. And no, that's not what the "market thinks." All you know about what the "market thinks" is that #457 is worth $X. The reasons why that is are varied, and they are debatable. This, coming from a guy who's first eBay user name was "Timdrake72."

So....this logic I was speaking of is simple: an issue of Robin #1 just sold for $117.50 on eBay. Why? Because it's a very rare second print newsstand copy, of which there are, perhaps, 4-5 examples in the entire history of comics. It sold for that price DESPITE no identification in the listing itself about what this book actually is.

That price relative to Batman #457, under the circumstances of the listing, and at the present time, has absolutely no bearing on the $117 sale price whatsoever, and we have once again gone down the rabbit trail of meaningless argument because you like to bring up totally irrelevant side tangents and write as if those are the main points.

50 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Batman #442 is the first Tim Drake Robin, not #457. Yes, Drake becomes Robin "officially" (not that there's an official swearing in ceremony or anything) in #457, but he is, for all intents, Robin as of #442. And no, that's not what the "market thinks." All you know about what the "market thinks" is that #457 is worth $X. The reasons why that is are varied, and they are debatable. This, coming from a guy who's first eBay user name was "Timdrake72."

So....this logic I was speaking of is simple: an issue of Robin #1 just sold for $117.50 on eBay. Why? Because it's a very rare second print newsstand copy, of which there are, perhaps, 4-5 examples in the entire history of comics. It sold for that price DESPITE no identification in the listing itself about what this book actually is.

That price relative to Batman #457, under the circumstances of the listing, and at the present time, has absolutely no bearing on the $117 sale price whatsoever, and we have once again gone down the rabbit trail of meaningless argument because you like to bring up totally irrelevant side tangents and write as if those are the main points.

LOL, yea the reasons why the book is worth $x are "varied". You mean like anything that is ever purchased? So people buy things for different reasons?

That is sound logic right there.

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Thanks for the explanation Rock.   Also love that you were "Timdrake72" once... lol.

And I agree that only one Superman 50 2nd print newsstand has been discovered and noted on this website.   If anyone else finds one, I would gladly pay $200 in FN or better.   Wait... let's make that $300 to prove that point that at least one nutty variant collector cares about it.

To all... I have Robin #1 second print newsstand on hand if anyone is interested in buying it from me.  If you are, just send me a PM.   Thanks

Edited by Cpt Kirk

7 hours ago, ygogolak said:

LOL, yea the reasons why the book is worth $x are "varied". You mean like anything that is ever purchased? So people buy things for different reasons?

That is sound logic right there.

Yes, people buy things for different reasons.

On 7/1/2018 at 2:20 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

lol

Wellll....

Your logic is not sound. 

This is an excellent post except for the highlighted part. Robin 1 cannot be sold at any price.

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

This is an excellent post except for the highlighted part. Robin 1 cannot be sold at any price.

Remember when they were $20 right out of the gate...? Ahhh...fun times. I probably could have traded a copy of Robin #1 for 10 copies of New Mutants #98.