• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Benefit of CGC Subscription Services?

17 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about getting a CGC subscription service (pay $35-$40 per month and get each issue in a series graded 9.8). However, I'm curious what others think about the value. For me, buying graded is always going to be a benefit over finding raw comics and submitting. I just don't have the opportunity for that.

However, I have purchased plenty of new graded books for less than $30 (plus shipping) on eBay. In theory, if every issue were a regular, non-key issue, then buying on eBay might be the way to go.

But that's only factoring in cost, and also assumes that no issue in a series would become a sought-after book, and thus suddenly cost $50+ on eBay.

Any other benefits of going the subscription route that I'm not seeing? The ease of it all, perhaps. And ensuring that you get each and every issue. Anything else?

Any cons other than potentially overpaying for some issues?

It all depends, if the subscription service is say $40.00 an issue, than I would say "sure" if it's for my personal collection.

If you went the other route you face getting 9.6s, or pre screening and not getting that 1 or 2 issues, then you go back and scramble to find more raw copies, or worse it sells out and gets hot. Then you are hit with a hefty premium.

I like the idea of 9.8 subscription services. I wish I had the cash flow to open one.

I got in with a subscription service- and the guy the does it is awesome! he runs deals all the time and has some pretty good prices if you buy in bulk.

it works for me because i can go buy a copy of the comic i subscribe too and read it- toss it around- lend it to a friend, and a few weeks later a box of 9.8s shows up in the mail.- i only get one particular comic through the service, but if i buy 12 credits all at once, i never have to worry about subbing for the whole year. i still chase down the variants and comic con covers when need be- so there is still the thrill of the hunt- but as of right now i have my Walking Deads covered until February (current issues all have 2 covers- and its taken care of )- it works great for me because i travel often, and i dont have to worry hunting through the left-overs at the comic shop trying to find a nice grader.

i went with 3204 Auctions, Inc- ive been using his service for almost 3 years and i have no plans to stop. Jerry is the man! compared to if i sub myself, it only cost me about $8 extra dollars to have a guaranteed 9.8- well worth the aggravation of getting back a 9.6 or 9.4- just my 2 cents- (and he packs his comics better than anyone ive come across- and i buy A LOT of comics!)

CGC 9.8 subscriptions are the way to go. It cuts out all the hassle and expense of hunting down potential 9.8 raws for yourself every month and subbing them to CGC.

I use Dre at Beachbum Comics, and he does a fantastic job. I highly recommend him. You subscribe to the titles you want, and Dre invoices you whenever one of your books reaches the Graded state at CGC. Simple and easy.

Here's a link to his profile on the boards:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=12351

CGC 9.8 subscriptions are the way to go. It cuts out all the hassle and expense of hunting down potential 9.8 raws for yourself every month and subbing them to CGC.

I use Dre at Beachbum Comics, and he does a fantastic job. I highly recommend him. You subscribe to the titles you want, and Dre invoices you whenever one of your books reaches the Graded state at CGC. Simple and easy.

Dre is solid when it comes to sub service. Great guy, I would recommend dealing with him.

Dre is solid when it comes to sub service. Great guy, I would recommend dealing with him.

I second Dre as the man to deal with if you want a sub service. (thumbs u

I pinged Dre before. He's crazy busy. Not sure how easy it is to get on his list, but I'll try again. Thanks!

Hit me up again - sometimes a PM convo gets lost because of the PM chains I have.

That's what I figured. I'll get a list and hit you up. Thanks.

If you are buying for your personal collection and not immediate resale then I would use Dre here as he has about the best access.

It will beat all your frustrations you will have to try to track down 9.8s if you are not near a steady supply.

Also those books you see selling for less are books not in demand. If the books you collect are not in demand then you can go that route, but you will be filling holes left and right all the time. Rich Henn is another that specializes in hard to find 9.8s as well.

I got in with a subscription service- and the guy the does it is awesome! he runs deals all the time and has some pretty good prices if you buy in bulk.

it works for me because i can go buy a copy of the comic i subscribe too and read it- toss it around- lend it to a friend, and a few weeks later a box of 9.8s shows up in the mail.- i only get one particular comic through the service, but if i buy 12 credits all at once, i never have to worry about subbing for the whole year. i still chase down the variants and comic con covers when need be- so there is still the thrill of the hunt- but as of right now i have my Walking Deads covered until February (current issues all have 2 covers- and its taken care of )- it works great for me because i travel often, and i dont have to worry hunting through the left-overs at the comic shop trying to find a nice grader.

i went with 3204 Auctions, Inc- ive been using his service for almost 3 years and i have no plans to stop. Jerry is the man! compared to if i sub myself, it only cost me about $8 extra dollars to have a guaranteed 9.8- well worth the aggravation of getting back a 9.6 or 9.4- just my 2 cents- (and he packs his comics better than anyone ive come across- and i buy A LOT of comics!)

I can vouch for Jerry's professionalism. I've tried out a few different services and I've had the best luck with 3204. (thumbs u