• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvelous Nerd Year's Eve Dallas 12/29 - 1/1/17

32 posts in this topic

http://geekexpos.com/marvelous-nerd-years-eve-dallas/

https://www.facebook.com/events/280524498993987/

Advertising as the "final travelling convention appearance" for Stan Lee. Is this accurate?

Stan Lee (creator/co-creator of Spider-Man, X-Men, The Hulk, Iron Man and many, many more major comic book characters)

Sylvester McCoy (Doctor Who, The Hobbit)

Rob Paulsen, Tress MacNeille, Jess Harnell and Maurice LaMarche (the main voice cast from The Animaniacs)

Ming Chen and Bryan Johnson (Comic Book Men)

Richard Harmon, Chelsey Reist and Sachin Sahel (The 100)

Greg Sestero (The Room, author of The Disaster Artist)

Keith Coogan (Toy Soldiers, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead)

Glenn Morshower (24, Supergirl, Bloodline)

It is supposedly the last Stan Lee con appearance outside of California. I think he'll still do SDCC and Comikaze.

Also announced but not on the website were Simon Bisley and Joe Rubinstein, more comic guests to come.

Sounds like this one was a fiasco for everyone involved. :eek:

I went on Saturday mid-morning. Maybe it got more crowded or a different day was a bigger crowd, but it was pretty dead. About 30 people in line for Stan when he started signing. After that, it was pretty much walk up for him.

When I was in LA for LA Comic Con, his slots for time signing were selling out and it was hours for a wait. Big difference.

For me, it was great though. He was fresh and I didn't have to wait.

I think all 9 of my books looked awesome and he didn't scribble at all like he does some times. I window bagged exactly where I wanted and used the colors I wanted. He signed perfectly for once. When I get them back, ill post some pics.

Side note about this con. It was not organized well. They needed better signs to tell you where to go. I went in the wrong part of the hotel (main lobby) and signage was not helpful. We went to second floor and they would let us in. Then, didn't give us good instruction on where to get tickets.

After that, when we left, the parking lot for the hotel had problems. The card machine ate my card and wouldn't let it out. Took 30 minutes for someone to find a key to get it out. Overall, this one just seemed like a dud.

That said, Lamarche had 8x10s of Abradolf Lincler, so I was happy.

Side note about this con. It was not organized well. They needed better signs to tell you where to go. I went in the wrong part of the hotel (main lobby) and signage was not helpful. We went to second floor and they would let us in. Then, didn't give us good instruction on where to get tickets.

After that, when we left, the parking lot for the hotel had problems. The card machine ate my card and wouldn't let it out. Took 30 minutes for someone to find a key to get it out. Overall, this one just seemed like a dud.

Glad you had a good experience with Stan, other than these annoying hiccups. The reviews online have been brutal, and it sounds like lots of vendors and the promoters lost a lot of money on this show. I wouldn't plan on a 2017 event.

Glad you had a good experience with Stan, other than these annoying hiccups. The reviews online have been brutal, and it sounds like lots of vendors and the promoters lost a lot of money on this show. I wouldn't plan on a 2017 event.

Im not surprised at all. Bad timing for a show. I live here in Dallas and didn't even know about this until a couple weeks ago or so. Even then, I don't remember how I came across it. TERRIBLE marketing.

Im not surprised at all. Bad timing for a show. I live here in Dallas and didn't even know about this until a couple weeks ago or so. Even then, I don't remember how I came across it. TERRIBLE marketing.

There was apparently a push somewhere on social media, but that clearly wasn't enough to get the word out effectively. We had a promoter offering half price tables (or BOGO, one of those) to us as far back as October, and they also gave us free passes to attend. Back then I thought the show was doomed. As others have said, there are reasons why shows aren't run over the holidays. There is simply too little disposable income and too many other ways to spend your valuable time.

There was apparently a push somewhere on social media, but that clearly wasn't enough to get the word out effectively. We had a promoter offering half price tables (or BOGO, one of those) to us as far back as October, and they also gave us free passes to attend. Back then I thought the show was doomed. As others have said, there are reasons why shows aren't run over the holidays. There is simply too little disposable income and too many other ways to spend your valuable time.

Yeah, I only went for Stan. Got stuff signed then left. I didn't help the tables at all.

Worth noting that Stan has raised his price to $120 per autograph. It was that price at LA Comic Con and this show.

there was never word whether CGC would be there.....!! I liked stan lee's page on facebook and new about it before thanksgiving but I wasn't interested because it was posted on here and no CGC facilitator was making a fuss and I wanted sig series cgc, anyway it looks like from the coments that CGC might have been there but it is still not stated out right----- :makepoint: so I didn't go, might have gone--- had there been more info----no loss here

Sounds like this one was a fiasco for everyone involved. :eek:

I went on Saturday mid-morning. Maybe it got more crowded or a different day was a bigger crowd, but it was pretty dead. About 30 people in line for Stan when he started signing. After that, it was pretty much walk up for him.

When I was in LA for LA Comic Con, his slots for time signing were selling out and it was hours for a wait. Big difference.

For me, it was great though. He was fresh and I didn't have to wait.

I think all 9 of my books looked awesome and he didn't scribble at all like he does some times. I window bagged exactly where I wanted and used the colors I wanted. He signed perfectly for once. When I get them back, ill post some pics.

So CGC was there??