• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

New in today . . . the great Reynold Brown nails a gritty film noir painting complete with a femme fatale!

BEHIND THE HIGH WALL (1956).
Missing two photographic paste-ups from the left-hand side . . . soon to be recreated and restored.

Full write-up, large scan and additional images at my CAF galleries:

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Behind the High Wall.jpg

Edited by The Voord

My unused Vic Fair painting for the 1968 Albert Finney UK movie CHARLIE BUBBLES finally makes it to the public eye thanks to the new limited-edition Blue-ray very recently released by powerhousefilms.co.uk. Big thanks to Eddie Shannon for reaching out to me over this project (great to see Fair's artwork finally used). I received my complimentary copy of the Blu-ray a couple of days ago and watched the movie last night. A very quirky film that I really enjoyed.

CB.jpg

Charlie Bubbles.jpg

Large pencil conceptual drawing by Reynold Brown for the 1964 William Castle movie, THE NIGHT WALKER (one of my favourites) Interestingly, for the Demon at centre, the resulting movie posters added a pair of underpants for him to wear (no self-respecting demon should be seen in public without them!) and all the surrounding monster-types got censored-out of the printed poster. The artwork actually forms the basis of the movie's introductory title sequence (see screen caps in additional images of my CAF posting) . . .

Larger scan and additional images relating to this movie poster campaign at:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1534050

CAF.jpg

Edited by The Voord

NEW IN TODAY . . . an unused movie poster design for the 1968 film, THE POWER. Not 100% sure who the artist is but I lean towards Gray Morrow, who is credited with painting the used movie poster design (and to my eye, there are strong similarities). The movie was both George Pal and Byron Haskin's last outing on the big screen (WAR OF THE WORLDS is probably their best-known and loved collaboration).

Full write-up large scan and additional image at:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1541955

CAF.jpg

3 hours ago, RabidFerret said:

Ice Pirates Movie Poster by Steve Chorney (1984)

Figured I'd post my first 'official' movie poster art day! (albeit a few months late...)

This is the original poster painting for the 1984 film Ice Pirates, starring Robert Urich, Mary Crosby, Michael D. Roberts, and a young Ron Perlman!

The movie has kung fu robots, space herpes, robo-pimps, time travel afros, and bazillion other bits of genius that elevate it to a true classic of American cinema. Growing up in the 80s this movie was on constant cable rotation, burning itself into my childhood as few movies did.

Most of the posters from my favorite 80s movies are buried in museums and private collections, so I never expected this poster to still be around, but I still reached out to artist Steve Chorney in case and, lo and behold, he still had the original! Woohoo!

The poster is awesome, a comedic riff on Star Wars, but incredibly well-executed and one of the highest quality parts of the whole film! And this image was used for EVERYTHING! Every VHS, Betamax, Laserdisc, CD, DVD, Bluray, and future technology for a billion years will use this image. On the nostalgia factor alone this was as cool of an item as I could get from Ice Pirates, let alone how cool the art is! It's freakin' awesome!!

The piece is 24" x 30", with illustration board on foamcore. Gesso, air brush, and colored pencils. Oh, and that's a second layer face on Robert Urich! Changed expression or something.

For the frame I went with some brushed-metallic painted outer frame, with some similarly metallic fillets to balance around the matte. I went with the purple brushed suede matte that I felt made the piece more hip and Elvisy.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1563044

Ice Pirates Movie Poster by Steve Chorney (1984) Comic Art

d3N90IYq_1007192129011gpaiadd.JPG

xb2AjR91_1007192128001gpaiadd.JPG

MV5BOTA1YWRlY2EtZGQ5ZS00Yzg3LTk0ZDYtZDMzNTEyYzczZjA3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNjc5NjY@._V1_.jpg

As a 7 year old parts of that movie both scared me and made me want to jump around the living room. I have such memories of that film. I knew I wasn’t getting all the jokes but I caught enough to know it was actually funny. 

great pick up!

18 hours ago, zhamlau said:

As a 7 year old parts of that movie both scared me and made me want to jump around the living room. I have such memories of that film. I knew I wasn’t getting all the jokes but I caught enough to know it was actually funny. 

great pick up!

Thank you:)

I've rewatched it a few times recently and continue to find more jokes! It holds up well:) And I still contend the ending is as good as any movie.

8 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I'd shudder to watch it now (looking at you Beastmaster and Krull), but I remember sitting though this one more than two or three times, back in the day.

Beastmaster! Yes!!

There was a great contingent of weird and/or cheesy scifi and fantasy in the 80s:)

Link to the MOVIE POSTER Original Artwork FB group I started a few years ago (now at over 1,500 members):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/131047770909401/?ref=bookmarks

Currently having a successful run of 'theme' weeks which has brought out a lot of paintings not previously seen.

Next week's theme is 'For Sale or Trade' week, so if anyone here ever fancied the idea of owning a piece of original Movie Poster artwork, this could be the one to watch!

The FB group is proving to be a good resource, not only for the great paintings that are being shared, but also to snap-up artworks being offered For Sale.  I recently bought from another member the back cover painting for THE VIDEO DEAD (1987) German Blu-ray release by Adrian Keindorf at the low price of Euros 175 (about $193).  Not exactly a great movie (I think it went straight to video at time of release) but as a Horror painting I thought it was quite effective.

dead.jpg

Edited by The Voord

10 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I'd shudder to watch it now (looking at you Beastmaster and Krull), but I remember sitting though this one more than two or three times, back in the day.

My greatest fear in the world as a child came from Beastmaster....those bat people who wrapped people up and at them while holding them....scared the F--K out of me.

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

My greatest fear in the world as a child came from Beastmaster....those bat people who wrapped people up and at them while holding them....scared the F--K out of me.

Yup, horrifying. But on the flip side, Kodo and Podo are the coolest friggin' ferrets in history!

For me it was always the dog thing from The Neverending Story. Nightmares...

And speaking of The Neverending Story, the original painting and tons of others appear available as an exhibit from Casaro. Has anyone ever seen this exhibit or booked it? That seems insanely cool...

http://www.casaro-renato-art.com/movieposters/fantasyeng.html