• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

Bronty nailed it, but the first that come to my mind as an answer are the Universal monster flicks, especially Dracula. But again, it would be the entirety of early cinema, magic posters, circus posters, etc etc.

And Bronty, since you sort of asked and I sorted of googled...you'll never imagine what's out there! I find this sort off amazing. http://www.conradmachine.com/navbar/used_printmaking_presses/used_litho_stones.html Who knows what you'd get by ordering one of these? It's a blind grab :)

Bronty nailed it, but the first that come to my mind as an answer are the Universal monster flicks, especially Dracula. But again, it would be the entirety of early cinema, magic posters, circus posters, etc etc.

Do you know of any stone lithos used in the making of the classic movie posters that are still in existence, or is all of it gone forever?

I'm not aware of any stones existing. But I also haven't searched. Let's just say I never bumped in them accidentally (or otherwise).

I'm sure that if you had accidentally bumped into one of these, the pain would have reminded you. :grin:

Perhaps, but either way it underlines that at least for me, I'd have a real tough time picking any grail without seeing them in person.

I found a hi-res image of an earlier version of the ESB poster painting online, which shows that it's fully painted.

Thanks for the answers guys.

And in a nice coincidence, the coming HA illustration auction has the original John Alvin painting for E.T. (note: huge pic):

y6uIuVz.jpg

That could get pretty silly pricewise if the stars align. Spielberg could try to buy, or Lucas for his museum. I don't normally consider those kinds of bidders, but this would have to be one piece that might reel them in?

All 4 images used for the British Quad poster for the James Bond film Thunderball. My favorite of the Bond films featuring my all-time favorite pop culture character. Two brilliant images by Frank McCarthy (the jetpack scene is my all-time favorite 007 image and would be the pick if I could only choose one) and two by Robert McGinnis (one of which is in my CAF gallery). The film series has literally had a transformative impact on my life by inspiring me to travel abroad as well as to seek out the good life.

So why did you let Nixdorf wind up with the Jetpack painting when it came up for auction last year?

so the grails that people posted. Anyone see pics of the originals?

For the one I selected, there was a very similar painting made for another purpose, here it is

NoriyoshiOhraiExhibition_InsideExhibitionGodzilla.jpg

Toho loaned all of Ohrai's Godzilla paintings to the exhibit on him last year. They have not been shy about displaying them and all are quite large and impressive in person.

So why did you let Nixdorf wind up with the Jetpack painting when it came up for auction last year?

First, he ended up with the underwater scene painting, not the jetpack painting. Second, I didn't "let" anyone have either painting. The auction went under-the-radar (at a the London subsidiary of a small online-only auction house who had never previously auctioned off this kind of material) and I didn't even hear about it until Nixdorf posted his painting on Facebook weeks later. :facepalm:

Oh, well. I'm happy that at least Tom finally got his '60s Bond poster example, which he might not have if I had known about the sale.

so the grails that people posted. Anyone see pics of the originals?

For the one I selected, there was a very similar painting made for another purpose, here it is

riyoshiOhraiExhibition_InsideExhibitionGodzilla.jpg

Toho loaned all of Ohrai's Godzilla paintings to the exhibit on him last year. They have not been shy about displaying them and all are quite large and impressive in person.

Do you have any additional pictures Sean? Of either the Toho pieces or the Koei pieces in particular?

First, he ended up with the underwater scene painting, not the jetpack painting. Second, I didn't "let" anyone have either painting. The auction went under-the-radar (at a the London subsidiary of a small online-only auction house who had never previously auctioned off this kind of material) and I didn't even hear about it until Nixdorf posted his painting on Facebook weeks later. :facepalm:

Oh, well. I'm happy that at least Tom finally got his '60s Bond poster example, which he might not have if I had known about the sale.

Curious to hear what the underwater painting went for, Gene?