• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

Found this old photo on one of the FB groups I'm a member of. It shows my local cinema in Liverpool, UK (where I grew up in), dated from around 1929 (as per the then movie being shown).

The movie posters on prominent display are single sheet format (the UK would later move to quad poster designs, landscape in format) and their huge printed size displays the impact they held as an advertising tool.

The cinema was about a five minute walk away from where I lived and closed-down in the late 1960s (though the building still remains to this day - now used as a warehouse, I believe).

Very nostalgic to come across this image!

gaumont.jpg

A more recent-ish photo of the same building (Liverpool Football Club's stadium can be seen in the distance):

gaumonty.jpg

The area is currently undergoing regeneration and a lot of the buildings surrounding the old cinema have now been demolished to pave the way for new structures.

A great collection you have going there! :applause:

Question: from the photos it appears most of the lettering and movie titles are pasted on.

Some lettering & titles look like they were painted directly on the art.

And regarding the paste-ups, are they all stat or are some original lettering ?

It's hard to tell (in some cases) from the photos.

-just curious :D

Main titles are usually hand painted. Some are directly painted onto the image, with some titles painted separately and attached to the art as paste-ups. On the above poster, 'High-Ballin' is painted directly onto the art, with 'The Big Sleep' as painted paste-up.

Cast and production credits are mostly strips of mechanical lettering pasted onto the paintings.

Not a painting, but a poster comp by Kazuhiko Sano for LadyHawk with Matthew Broderick, Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer. This image was not used for the final poster but it is an amazing piece. He did a great job capturing the main star especially Michelle Pfeiffer.

Thanks Mitch

Lady-Hawk-Poster.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

Blazing Saddles European poster by Don Stivers

Used for european Danish and German posters, the text was changed for each country. Haven't been able to find an English version of the poster. Don does a great job with likenesses of Gene, Cleavon and Madeline.

Blazing-Saddles_poster.jpg

2 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Blazing Saddles European poster by Don Stivers

Used for european Danish and German posters, the text was changed for each country. Haven't been able to find an English version of the poster. Don does a great job with likenesses of Gene, Cleavon and Madeline.

Blazing-Saddles_poster.jpg

Great pick up Brian.

One of the smartest and funniest movies of all time!  For anyone that loves Mel Brooks and this movie, check out this fun video

Mel Brooks & Jerry Sienfeld

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:21 PM, Terry Doyle said:

Well, my original intention was to stop at one more movie poster artwork for my collection, but I kept going back to look at a few more examples I rather liked . . . so “one further example” quickly became four.

As the selection I’ve now put-together pretty much covers most of the different movie genres, I reckon this particular collecting aim has now been achieved.

Famous last words? Yeah, I know, nature of the beast . . .

Anyways, here’s the first of four updates, which I hope are of interest to fellow boardies (the remaining three acquisitions will be posted on this thread very soon).

poster%209.jpg

Vic Fair prototype artwork for the highly-regarded 1981 movie, THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT’S WOMAN.

“Actors Meryl Streep, Jeremy Irons, Hilton McRae, Emily Morgan and Charlotte Mitchell under Karel Reisz's superb, sensitive and fluid direction bring Harold Pinter and John Fowles screenplay to the screen in stunning fashion. Some of the scenes will live in the memory for a long time, so powerful are the visuals.

Set in 19th Century England it is the story of a chance meeting between Sarah (Meryl Streep), an eerily beautiful woman, and Charles (Jeremy Irons), a biologist about to be married; they have a brief but passionate affair but her deep sadness and past force her to leave him. The movie works on two chronological levels, switching seamlessly between the two parallel stories which mirror each other in many ways.

Visually, this film is stunningly beautiful and haunting in the way the story of Sarah, a Victorian outcast, unfolds to reveal her history.”

For his prototype artwork, displaying a high degree of finish (for what is effectively a prelim), British artist Vic Fair chose a simple but very effective design of the Meryl Streep character’s portrait enveloping a key moment from the movie. As good as the idea might have been, the design was rejected in favour of what appears to be a mostly photographic image for the resulting movie poster campaign (that still managed to retain much of Fair’s original concept).

poster%201_2.jpg

“In the history of British film posters there are few characters as significant and influential as the designer and artist Vic Fair. During a career that spanned close to forty years, many of them spent as part of the same ever-evolving agency, Vic lent his inimitable style to several of the most iconic British movie posters ever printed. He designed marketing campaigns for most of the big film studios and distributors, including for the likes of Hammer Films and all of the posters for the very British ‘Confessions…’ series of bawdy comedies. Over the years, Vic also developed a strong working relationship with many of the British film industry’s leading directors, including Nicolas Roeg, Terry Gilliam and Michael Winner.

One of the things that really set Vic apart from his contemporaries were his skills at developing concepts that were unique and stood out from what was often a sea of other ideas, depending on how many design agencies a distributor might have been working with. He had a natural talent for concepts that used ingenious juxtaposition of elements to create surprising layouts and he wasn’t one to shy away from risqué concepts, many of which unfortunately never made onto a printing press. Many of these designs did, however, make it through to the end of the process and clearly demonstrate his cheeky sense of humour.”

poster%208_1.jpg

Vic Fair stands next to the large format (40″ x 60″) poster for The Man Who Fell to Earth, which he both designed and painted in 1976. Photo taken in 2013.

Back in a couple of days with another update for this thread . . .

Just heard the sad news that Vic Fair died over the weekend.  R.I.P, Mr Fair.

On 2/18/2017 at 8:46 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Great pick up Brian.

One of the smartest and funniest movies of all time!  For anyone that loves Mel Brooks and this movie, check out this fun video

Mel Brooks & Jerry Sienfeld

I love the way the boobs are hanging out over the text lol