• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

New in today . . .

Tom Chantrell's movie poster artwork for the 1971 joint British-Spanish movie, A TOWN CALLED B . . .  Chantrell's image was later re-jigged for the American one-sheet version of its front-of house advertising campaign and the movie's title was re-named A TOWN CALLED HELL for its subsequent USA release (as they felt uncomfortable about using the word B . . . pretty much like this forum :grin:).  As with all of the so-called Spaghetti Westerns prominent at the time, the movie was filmed in Spain.

Delighted to have acquired this particular painting, which will certainly rank as one of my top favourites.  Fabulous image featuring some notable acting talents - including, of course, the lovely Stella Stevens . . .

"In 1895, in a small town ravaged by the Mexican Revolution, the revolutionary leader Aguila and his men massacre the town's locals and the military garrison soldiers.Ten years later Aguila,now a reformed priest, sees a newly-arrived woman who is looking for those responsible for murdering her husband. The town is run by the corrupt Don Carlos who promises to help Alvira find those who killed her husband, in return for the gold reward she is offering. Don Carlos has no idea where Aguila is or what hea looks like but he's prepared to do anything in order to collect the gold reward offered by Alvira. Everything is complicated by the sudden arrival of the Mexican Army led by a brutal Colonel whose face looks very familiar to the town priest . . ."

A larger-scale scan can be seen on my CAF, along with six additional images of the foreign variants and the Blu-ray cover:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Bastard artwork.jpg

Edited by The Voord

Three more movie poster paintings due in tomorrow (two published and one prototype design) which I'll be uploading onto my CAF over the course of the next few days.  I'll probably upload one of the images onto this thread but it's always an option (for those interested in these types of artwork) to check out my CAF updates for full write-ups and additional images at:

First of three movie poster paintings updates (other two paintings will be uploaded onto my CAF during the course of the week).  Link to my CAF:

Vic Fair prototype artwork for THE SHOUT (1978)

THE SHOUT is a 1978 British horror film directed by Jerzy Skolimowski, based on a short story by Robert Graves that was adapted for the screen by Michael Austin. The film was the first to be produced by Jeremy Thomas under his Recorded Picture Company banner.

Crossley (Alan Bates), a mysterious travelling man who invades the lives of a young couple, Rachel and Anthony Field (Susannah York and John Hurt). Anthony is a composer, who experiments with sound effects and various electronic sources in his secluded Devon studio. The couple provides hospitality to Crossley, but his intentions are gradually revealed as more sinister. He claims he has learned from an Aboriginal shaman how to produce a "terror shout" that can kill anyone who hears it unprotected.
The North Devon coastline, specifically Saunton Sands and Braunton Burrows, was used for the bulk of the location shooting. The church of St Peter in Westleigh Bideford used in church scenes.

Producer Jeremy Thomas later remembered his experience making the film:

"Because I had a great director, and a quality piece of literature I managed to get a wonderful cast such as John Hurt and Alan Bates. Skolimowski had a sense of shooting style then, this was the second director who I had worked closely with, and it was fascinating watching Skolimowski work. He came from a Polish tradition, the Wajda Film School, he had a different background to other directors I had been working with in the cutting rooms or elsewhere. And it made the film much more creative to me. I saw it more as an artistic endeavour by him.

The film went to Cannes and won the Grand Prix de Jury. We were incredibly lucky and the film was appreciated by the jury. It was a very small festival then, nothing like the Cannes Film Festival of today, it was a small event in a cinema of 800 people or so."

The film's soundtrack is by Michael Rutherford and Tony Banks of the rock band Genesis. The central theme "From the Undertow" features on Banks's album A Curious Feeling.

The Shout 1978 prototype rev.jpg

Second of three movie poster painting updates now up on my CAF at:

Also new in today is  an original painting used for the commercial break in the Channel 3 screening of 1960s television series, THE OUTER LIMITS. My guess is that Channel 3 was a local TV station - so any further information would be welcome!

Edited by The Voord

Currently expecting a Hammer Films piece of artwork created specifically for the purpose of securing financial backing for (what was) an unmade movie (late 1960s/early 1970s).  Should have the artwork tomorrow evening, so I'll do a full update once the painting is in my possession.

The artist, Tom Chantrell, was pretty much Hammer's golden boy, commencing the latter half of the 1960s, and in addition to painting finished movie posters for cinema front-of-house displays, the artist would frequently be called upon to create painted images to promote and help secure backing.  Not sure if many here will be familiar with these artworks, so I'll upload some images of Chantrell's pre-production paintings (a number of which, as I say, never made it to production) . . .

First up . . . a quad poster design for SAVAGE JACKBOOT (which would have starred Peter Cushing, had the film been realised)

Hammer 1.jpg