• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Just finished watching the movie.  The three Doberman Pinschers stole the show!  Hopefully, since Remo's first and only adventure, he managed to progress from running on wet cement to running on water (just like his Korean mentor)!  Quite watchable and fun in places . . . bit like one of the later seasons of Man from UNCLE when the show had gone the route of camp . . .

I liked the way they changed Remo's appearance and identity by shaving off his moustache!

I remember watching the movie as a kid and loving it. Then I remember watching it in my twenties and loving it in a whole new way; it's so ridiculous and cheesy.

Then I remember finding out in my 30s that the movie supposedly had a $40M budget :insane:  

The never made sequel should have been called Remo Williams: The Money Laundering Continues!

New in yesterday . . .

Concept movie poster artwork (artist unknown) for the 1977 World War II film, ‘Cross of Iron’, measuring 13” x 21”.  Bought this one from Richie Halegua (who has a few other movie poster artworks, should anyone want to investigate with him).

A simple, but effective, design (focusing directly on the Iron Cross subject matter, with dripping blood for effect) that also has the movie’s title painted directly onto the artwork (mostly airbrush work). The cast and production credits, at the bottom-half of the art, are printed onto acetate overlays.

I quite like this design, but can see why it was never used (copy heavy and Peckinpah's name blurs into the movie's title, adding confusion!).

Full description (and additional images of the design opted for in the resulting movie poster campaign) can be found on my CAF update at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

cross of iron.jpg

Edited by The Voord
Updated info.

Should have two more movie poster paintings reaching me sometime next week.  One of these will be Vic Fair's prototype artwork for the British quad poster of the 1980s movie, FORT APACHE, THE BRONX.  Although Fair painted the prototype, the finished campaign artwork was handed-over to Brian Bysouth to paint (adhering very closely to Vic Fair's design).

Here's a photo I found of Brian painting the finished art.  Next week you'll be able to see just how close it was to Vic Fair's concept art . . .

Brian Bysouth.jpg

Now uploaded onto my CAF is the second of two movie poster paintings that reached me yesterday (in addition to SHALAKO).

This other one is Vic Fair's prototype artwork for the 1981 movie, FORT APACHE, THE BRONX.

Interestingly, Fair revised his depiction of Paul Newman's face by way of new artwork positioned onto an acetate overlay (that also carries the movie's title).  Both before and after photographs of Fair's art can be seen in my CAF update at:

Edited by The Voord

9 hours ago, Bronty said:

Photos aren't showing, but Adrian had already showcased the artworks on allpostersforum some weeks back.  Good haul.

Great background story!

Edited by The Voord

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:52 PM, Bronty said:

Do you have a scan of the Frazetta art you can post?  Adrian uploaded images of all the other poster artworks on the Allpostersforum site, but held back on showing the Frazetta (and your link doesn't display any images for me).

50 minutes ago, jeBailey said:

Just getting a jumble of machine code . . . can you post a picture directly onto this thread for me, please?

New in today . . .

Tom Chantrell's original painting for the double-bill presentation of the two 1978 movies, THE INGLORIOUS BASTARDS and BARRACUDA.

My thanks to 'Matt E' (from CAF) for flagging-up this eBay offering to me last week.

Additional images/short write-up on my CAF galleries at:

1.JPG

Not a re-make, I understand, just Tarantino's homage to these types of action war movies (He said it was his, "Dirty Dozen or Where Eagles Dare or Guns of Navarone kind of thing") - though the title of his movie, 'Inglourious Basterds, is a more obvious lift.  When asked for an explanation of the film's title's spelling during a news conference at the Cannes Film Festival, Tarantino said, "I'm never going to explain that".   When pushed on it, Tarantino would not explain the first u in Inglourious, but said, "The Basterds? That's just the way you say it: Basterds."  Tarantino later stated in an interview that the misspelled title is "a Basquiat-esque touch".  He further commented on Late Show with David Letterman that Inglourious Basterds is a "Quentin Tarantino spelling".

With thanks to Wikipedia for some useful cut-and-pasted quotes . . . ;)

Edited by The Voord