• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

Currently doing a Theme Week in my MOVIE POSTER Original Artwork FB group.  Next week, we'll be having a For Sale or Trade theme.  If anyone here has ever fancied the ide of expanding their OA collecting habits into other types of artwork, next week's theme might provide such opportunities . . .

Link to my FB group, new members always welcome:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/131047770909401/

And a composite of artworks from my own collection that I'll be personally offering during the course of next week:

For Sale or Trade.jpg

Edited by The Voord

New in today a set of five comps (each measuring about 30" x 20") by C. Winston Taylor for the 1985 movie, LADYHAWKE starring Matthew Broderick, Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer. Bought as a job lot (the previous owner didn't want to split the group of five paintings up). I'll be keeping one, possibly two, of these paintings for myself and will be selling the spares in due course once I've figured-out individual asking prices . . .  which will then be offered in the forum's Marketplace.

LH 1.JPG

LH 2.JPG

LH 3.JPG

LH 4.JPG

LH 5.JPG

Anyone see the Bonhams auction?

Bonhams : A Tom Jung original Lord of the Rings concept artwork for the one sheet poster
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25492/lot/1164/

Bonhams : A Tom Jung original Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope concept artwork for the half sheet poster with additional sketches
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25492/lot/1163/

What exactly am I looking at here? This is a painted prelimin, right?

Bonhams : A Tom Jung original Star Wars: Episode IV–A New Hope concept artwork for the one sheet poster
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25492/lot/1162/

9 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Bonhams : A Tom Jung original Lord of the Rings concept artwork for the one sheet poster

Bonhams : A Tom Jung original Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope concept artwork for the half sheet poster with additional sketches

Bonhams : A Tom Jung original Star Wars: Episode IV–A New Hope concept artwork for the one sheet poster

Yes,  you could describe it as a preliminary artwork, not the final painted version.  Conceptual paintings could comprise of a number of different designs.

When doing projects, it is not unusual to have to present multiple concepts to the client. It gives them a chance to see a number of ideas, and they can give their input and or point the direction of the final, without all the effort that goes into doing a truly finished piece, only to find out it’s not what they want.

People use the terms preliminaries conceptuals or studies pretty interchangeably.

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

I am a big Bakshi collector, probably one of the biggest (if not the) for his LOTR movie which I loved as a kid. That Jung piece looks very similar to the final. The pencil has floated around for several years as well. That said. I find the price fairly crazy, though perhaps the Jung name carries that price tag. The listings here suggest the final key art for some of these may not be far from the auction block as well (not SW, I suspect).Maybe I am completely off base on my pricing but I won't be bidding and I'm about as avid a fan and stupid with his money as they come.

I think comic collectors come from a POV where prelim = junk.    Movie/videogame/mtg art collectors view the prelims more like comic guys view interior pages.    Still of value, just not as good as the published cover.   

And I think that’s just a result of the number of published finals being small.   There’s only one for each movie poster/game/mtg card.   Not one + 22 interiors like there is for a comic. 

So if I’m a fan of this LOTR poster or, I dunno, Ernham Djinn and the final can’t be found or is out of reach, I don’t have the option of just buying a panel page.   A good prelim becomes the next best thing.

In comics, if I’m a fan of even something that was a big deal like the Miller Wolverine #1 there’s twenty three pages I can choose from, why would I bother with prelims unless all 23 are out of reach.    Totally different in these other fields where there is much less supply.

So to more directly respond to your comment, prelim prices tend to be higher than in comics.

Edited by Bronty

25 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I think comic collectors come from a POV where prelim = junk.    Movie/videogame/mtg art collectors view the prelims more like comic guys view interior pages.    Still of value, just not as good as the published cover.   

And I think that’s just a result of the number of published finals being small.   There’s only one for each movie poster/game/mtg card.   Not one + 22 interiors like there is for a comic. 

So if I’m a fan of this LOTR poster or, I dunno, Ernham Djinn and the final can’t be found or is out of reach, I don’t have the option of just buying a panel page.   A good prelim becomes the next best thing.

In comics, if I’m a fan of even something that was a big deal like the Miller Wolverine #1 there’s twenty three pages I can choose from, why would I bother with prelims unless all 23 are out of reach.    Totally different in these other fields where there is much less supply.

So to more directly respond to your comment, prelim prices tend to be higher than in comics.

I read the provenance info and think the final key art will become available, once this prelim sells. Price is anyone's guess. 

9 minutes ago, cstojano said:

I read the provenance info and think the final key art will become available, once this prelim sells. Price is anyone's guess. 

And maybe for you being a fan specifically that’s the take away but my point was general and in relation to prelim prices across the entirety of these markets rather than this specific piece.   I’ve sold prelims for five figures before so to me the estimates aren’t crazy although the Star Wars ones seem almost low and the LOTR one high.  Maybe you’re reacting to the LOTR estimate specifically 

Edited by Bronty

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

And maybe for you being a fan specifically that’s the take away but my point was general and in relation to prelim prices across the entirety of these markets rather than this specific piece.   I’ve sold prelims for five figures before so to me the estimates aren’t crazy although the Star Wars ones seem almost low and the LOTR one high.  Maybe you’re reacting to the LOTR estimate specifically 

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. For me its the LOTR estimate. 

On 12/7/2019 at 1:48 PM, BCarter27 said:

These are pre-production prelims/demos, but not after-the-fact recreations, correct?

On 12/7/2019 at 1:50 PM, Bronty said:

They are vintage yes

Hasn't there been some controversy about this?  I mean, it seems like almost every Profiles/Bonhams/Prop Store auction has these Tom Jung Star Wars prelims in them.  I mean, sure, some of them are getting recycled, but, someone suggested to me that there may be some after-the-fact contemporary recreations in the mix.  

Just now, delekkerste said:

Hasn't there been some controversy about this?  I mean, it seems like almost every Profiles/Bonhams/Prop Store auction has these Tom Jung Star Wars prelims in them.  I mean, sure, some of them are getting recycled, but, someone suggested to me that there may be some after-the-fact contemporary recreations in the mix.  

oh interesting.   I hadn't heard that.   I'll let you take it from here.

5 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I mean, sure, some of them are getting recycled, but, someone suggested to me that there may be some after-the-fact contemporary recreations in the mix. 

I emailed Bonhams TWICE asking to pin this down. No reply other than condition report. So, no bid.

Sold for $62.5K. If it is vintage, someone got a deal, imo.

New in today . . . 'Manche Mogens Prall' (aka, 'C.O.D.'), 1981, unused German movie poster painting, artist unknown.

I bought this last week on the 'Original Movie Art & Marketplace' FB group I run.  I did a 'For Sale' week and this original painting was offered for sale at Euro 100 (around $120 or so).  Bit of a no-brainer at that price, so I pulled the trigger on a purchase.

"Albert Zack is a struggling, bumbling, advertising salesman hired to save the Beaver Bra Company from impending doom. He is charged with signing five specific, world-famous, busty woman as endorsers for the bra line. Silly antics and situations occur as he tries, mostly in various costumes, to get close enough to these women to make his pitch for their signature. Working against him are two board members who stand to gain if the company fails. As he circles the globe in search of these signatures, he is faced with a variety of challenges, one of which is a relationship with his own secretary."

128131564_3533269040096267_8453070448862040842_n.jpg

Edited by The Voord

New in today, with thanks to Thomas Nixdorf, seven movie campaign illustrations by E. Kessler for various 1960s German releases of Sword & Sandals movies. The lobby card included shows the use for one of them.  We had a 'For Sale' week on my Movie Artwork & Marketplace FB group and this selection was offered at a price that equates to about $25 each.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

New in today, with thanks to my friend in Spain, Jimmy Willis, the first of five paintings he sent me . . . 

Spanish video sleeve painting for LA DAMA DE PEKING (That Lady From Peking, 1975) by Macario 'Mac' Gomez.

Macario Gomez was a Spanish film poster artist known as "Mac". His posters are characterized by creativity, nonconformity and harmony. In 2013 he was appointed honorary member of the Catalan Film Academy.

"Max Foster (Carl Betz), an American newspaper reporter, is in Hong Kong to assist a defecting Russian diplomat. In return for arranging an escape, the diplomat must turn over to Foster a diary revealing the true events taking place in China. While making his escape, the defector is killed ant the diary vanishes. The reporter sets off on a search for it, from Hong Kong to Australia. The chase ends in an action-filled climax, with the journalist finally meeting up with "That Lady from Peking" (Nancy Kwan) - the diplomat's daughter. The cast also features Bobby Rydell ("Bye, Bye Birdie")."

La Dama De Peking.jpg

New in today, with thanks to my friend in Spain, Jimmy Willis, the second of five paintings he sent me . . . 

Spanish video sleeve painting for APOCALIPSIS 2024 (A Boy and His Dog) is a 1975 American black comedy science fiction film directed by actor L.Q. Jones, from a screenplay by Jones based on the 1969 novella of the same title by fantasy authour Harlan Ellison. The film stars Don Johnson, Susanne Benton, Alvy Moore and Jason Robards. It was independently produced and distributed by Jones' company LQ/Jaf Productions.

The film's storyline concerns a teenage boy (Vic) and his telepathic dog (Blood), who work together as a team in order to survive in the dangerous post-apocalyptic wasteland of the Southwestern United States.

Harlan Ellison, the author of the original novella A Boy and His Dog, started the screenplay but encountered writer's block, so director L. Q. Jones wrote the -script. Jones' own company, LQ/Jaf Productions (L. Q. Jones & Friends), independently produced the film. The film was shot at Pacific Ocean Park in Venice, California, and on location around Barstow, and Coyote Dry Lake in the Mojave Desert.

In a later interview, Harlan Ellison said, “When he [Blood] calls Vic ‘Al’ or ‘Albert,’ he is referring to the Albert Payson Terhune dog stories, whereas a traditional boy and his dog relationship is turned upside down in this movie.”

James Cagney's voice was considered as the voice of Blood, but was dropped because it would have been too recognizable and prove to be a distraction. Eventually, after going through approximately 600 auditions, they settled on Tim McIntire, a veteran voice actor who also did most of the music for the film. Ray Manzarek (misspelled in the film credits as "Manzarec"), formerly of The Doors, was among the musicians for the score.

McIntire sang the main theme. Bolivian composer Jaime Mendoza-Nava provided the music for the Topeka underground segment.

Apocalipsis 2024.jpg