• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

My third movie poster painting update is now on display at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

This one's a Horror double-bill poster by Tom Chantrell from 1976.  The second half of the poster is quite interesting . . . in that Chantrell has re-used imagery from his earlier 1967 movie poster artwork for FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN.  I've included an image of the latter for comparison in my CAF update.

UPDATE:  This artwork previously contained a tissue overlay containing movie title, cast and production credits.  Pretty useless to use as was.  Thanks to an American friend, Lloyd Braddy (a print-maker capable of working magic on projects such as this one), an new overlay was created that incorporates all the text material onto a clear overlay.  A great piece of work . . . thanks again, Lloyd!

Doc.jpg

Doctor rev.jpg

Expected later on this week is a Tom Chantrell one-sheet variant painting design created for the overseas advertising campaign (e.g. Australian daybill) of the 1976 British movie adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' AT THE EARTH'S CORE, starring Doug McLure and Peter Cushing.  Pre-CGI stuff that relied heavily on men dressed in funky rubber suits to portray the monsters of the piece.  A fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Will do a full CAF update and provide a decent photograph of the original artwork as and when it reaches me . . .

australian_1sh_at_the_earths_core_NZ04281_L.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:01 PM, The Voord said:

Expected later on this week is a Tom Chantrell one-sheet variant painting design created for the overseas advertising campaign (e.g. Australian daybill) of the 1976 British movie adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' AT THE EARTH'S CORE, starring Doug McLure and Peter Cushing.  Pre-CGI stuff that relied heavily on men dressed in funky rubber suits to portray the monsters of the piece.  A fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Will do a full CAF update and provide a decent photograph of the original artwork as and when it reaches me . . .

australian_1sh_at_the_earths_core_NZ04281_L.jpg

The original Tom Chantrell painting arrived a short while ago and has now been uploaded to my CAF at:

I'm attaching a small-scale image of the art with this post; a large-scale scan is on view in my CAF movie poster galleries, along with additional images that includes a close-up of the three main characters as portrayed by Caroline Munroe, Doug McLure and Peter Cushing - and also shots of the various printed movie posters, including Chantrell's British variant designs for the quad and one-sheet posters.

CGC Boards - At the Earth's Core.jpg

Edited by The Voord

11 hours ago, The Voord said:

The original Tom Chantrell painting arrived a short while ago and has now been uploaded to my CAF at:

I'm attaching a small-scale image of the art with this post; a large-scale scan is on view in my CAF movie poster galleries, along with additional images that includes a close-up of the three main characters as portrayed by Caroline Munroe, Doug McLure and Peter Cushing - and also shots of the various printed movie posters, including Chantrell's British variant designs for the quad and one-sheet posters.

CGC Boards - At the Earth's Core.jpg

I don't dig 'em all but this one is super great!

15 hours ago, vodou said:

I don't dig 'em all but this one is super great!

Thanks, Michael, glad you approve.

The movie poster stuff is a big nostalgic pull for me.  I grew-up in a big city where, during my era of nostalgia (the 1960s), we had dozens of cinemas situated locally.  We didn't always have the pocket-money on hand to gain admission, or were old enough to attend the age-restricted showings, but we always used to pore over the front-of-house poster and stills displays.  Simply put, I love cinema . . . more so than the funny-books.

Throughout my 35 years of collecting comic-book art, it was always my intention to have some movie poster original painting examples but, unless you knew were to look, they were not always as commonly available as comic-book art,  and were often more difficult to source

For the most part, I find artistic merit in the majority of movie artworks I've bought . . . which might not necessarily strike a chord with other collectors (doesn't have to).  It goes without saying, really, that the key is to find a good movie poster image that ties-into a memorable movie production . . .  but such things will (naturally) carry a premium. 

At the moment I'm at over 30 originals.  Considering I retired a couple of years ago, I've bought all this stuff (for the most part) on the monthly budget I've allocated myself from my retirement-funds.  Heck, the prices I paid for a lot of these paintings would barely get you a decent commission drawing . . . go figure!

Edited by The Voord

3 minutes ago, The Voord said:

The movie poster stuff is a big nostalgic pull for me.  I grew-up in a big city where, during my era of nostalgia (the 1960s), we had dozens of cinemas situated locally.  We didn't always have the pocket-money on hand to gain admission, or were old enough to attend the age-restricted showings, but we always used to pore over the front-of-house poster and stills displays.  Simply put, I love cinema . . . more so than the funny-books.

I've got zero nostalgia on these, different country and age demographic, so for me it's strictly the visual impact. This isn't the only one I like but I think it's the first I commented on. Not all to my liking but their are several that are, generally the horror subjects...a general weakness for me, along with the usual fetching gals such productions tend to include. Certainly Caroline Munroe doesn't hurt this one!

7 minutes ago, The Voord said:

At the moment I'm at over 30 originals.  Considering I retired a couple of years ago, I've bought all this stuff (for the most part) on the monthly budget I've allocated myself from my retirement-funds.  Heck, the price I paid for a lot of these paintings would barely get you a decent sketch at some of the conventions . . . go figure!

A lot of us wonder what our second act would be if we cashed out (ideally at the high) but were still alive enough to be bored without...you've clearly figured it out at 30 or more of these, not a passing flight of fancy and not a same-cost replacement either (which tends to just be treading water re: cost/benefit). Haven't figured out my similar angle yet, a major reason why I haven't cashed out. I'm not necessarily in love with (probably) 95% of my collection, but I don't know what I'd be doing 'instead' yet either. So sitting on my hands. Well we'll see on that but I'm excited to see an example (you) that's done it and done it well, good job on that.

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

I've got zero nostalgia on these, different country and age demographic, so for me it's strictly the visual impact. This isn't the only one I like but I think it's the first I commented on. Not all to my liking but their are several that are, generally the horror subjects...a general weakness for me, along with the usual fetching gals such productions tend to include. Certainly Caroline Munroe doesn't hurt this one!

Sure, I understand.  Different strokes and all that . . .  Bottom line is that I've always collected for myself.

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

A lot of us wonder what our second act would be if we cashed out (ideally at the high) but were still alive enough to be bored without...you've clearly figured it out at 30 or more of these, not a passing flight of fancy and not a same-cost replacement either (which tends to just be treading water re: cost/benefit). Haven't figured out my similar angle yet, a major reason why I haven't cashed out. I'm not necessarily in love with (probably) 95% of my collection, but I don't know what I'd be doing 'instead' yet either. So sitting on my hands. Well we'll see on that but I'm excited to see an example (you) that's done it and done it well, good job on that.

(thumbsu

Here's a restoration project I'm currently working on . . .

This is the American one-sheet original artwork for the 1968 movie, DAY OF THE EVIL GUN, starring Glenn Ford (not a bad Western movie, I bought the DVD the other week and found myself quite liking it).

The artwork was offered on Heritage, within the past year or so, with an estimate of $2,000 - 3,000, but failed to sell - and I can understand why (there are condition issues).

In recent weeks, the artwork re-appeared on eBay (where hidden nuggets can still surface, as long as you're prepared to wade through all the cr@p) with a BIN of roughly $500 (post free).  Knowing full well that artworks with condition issues can be restored, and at the same time looking for an attractively-priced American one-sheet design, I had no hesitation pulling the trigger on this one.

There are some minor paint-flakings on the art, but I have a professional artist fiend on hand who can faithfully replicate, via touch-ups, those missing elements using a copy of the printed poster as a guide (which the eBay seller thoughtfully included in the sale).

Next, there are tape-stains and discolouration issues in the white background areas.  Not a problem, as I also have a contact at the nearby Liverpool Museum Paper Conservation Centre (here in the UK) who has already advised me that he can drastically diminish or eliminate the affected areas of staining.

My last stage is to re-create and re-introduce all the captioned materials that appeared on the printed poster.  Again, not an issue, I have a print-maker friend in Los Angeles (Lloyd Braddy) who has assisted in similar projects and came through for me with impressive results.

I've put-together a mock-up in photoshop of how I envisage the end-result ought to look like, attached here (the beige surround is meant to represent a possible option for choice of mat).  The top caption material in my mock-up is not to scale and should be slightly smaller, so the right-hand side of the mat ought to be closer to the artwork image.  Just a rough approximation I put-together for Lloyd to act as a guide.

Likely to be several months before everything's completed, so I'll update everyone as and when it all comes together . . .

Day of the Evil Gun art.jpg

Mock-up composite.jpg

Mock-up composite -rev.jpg

Edited by The Voord