• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, The Voord said:

No, sadly not.  I just posted the (Hammer campaign) artworks as they were never intended for general release so will be unseen by most people here.  They were only every created to secure financial backing for proposed movie productions.

The only Hammer Films piece I got in this week was Chantrell's campaign artwork for the unmade Horror/Science-Fiction  film, A SCENT OF NEW-MOWN HAY, which I uploaded onto my CAF yesterday:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1429066

This particular painting was locked-away in a private collection for twenty years.  Thanks to the old-fashioned way of collecting, in which we used to do the leg-work and network with other collectors (as in pre-internet days), I established contact with the owner and consequently got offered the Chantrell Hammer art at a very reasonable asking price.

Ah okay (too bad!!) but even so that SCENT is exceptional. I really like the ridiculous title too :) This is a tough line to draw, not joining in your party, you've definitely converted me to Chantrell but I will resist and stay away. This made easier that those artworks are not in every HA Sunday night sale too...I'd have to make an active move to ferret the good stuff out...better you than me (err rather your wallet than mine) and I will continue to enjoy your updates!

5 hours ago, vodou said:

Ah okay (too bad!!) but even so that SCENT is exceptional. I really like the ridiculous title too :) This is a tough line to draw, not joining in your party, you've definitely converted me to Chantrell but I will resist and stay away. This made easier that those artworks are not in every HA Sunday night sale too...I'd have to make an active move to ferret the good stuff out...better you than me (err rather your wallet than mine) and I will continue to enjoy your updates!

Actually, the former owner of SCENT drove down to my place yesterday afternoon to deliver the artwork in person (he was about an hour's drive away).  The guy actually knew Chantrell and had visited him numerous times, so I got to hear some great stories about the artist.  Whenever Chantrell was employed to create movie artworks, the client only bought reproduction rights - so all artworks got returned to him.  A lot of the best stuff got snapped-up years ago by savvy collectors . . . which ties-into my previous point that if you do the leg-work and make the connections, it can sometimes pay big dividends when you hook-up with the right people . . .  and can also work out cheaper than sitting round waiting for the next Heritage auction feeding-frenzy when collectors are forced to compete with one another.  Not criticizing . . . just opining.  The SCENT artwork got offered to me at cost price (of 20 years ago!).  How cool is that?  Great price, great art and a memorable afternoon spent conversing with a like-minded collector who had great stories to tell.

Anyways, I'm not trying to convert anyone   :bigsmile:    Just sharing an interest . . .

Edited by The Voord

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 12:18 PM, The Voord said:

Just back from the framers (had to photograph this one at an angle to eliminate glare) . . .

Earth's Core.JPG

Yesterday's visitor (who hand-delivered the aforementioned Hammer Films campaign artwork) sent me some photographs relating to my AT THE EARTH'S CORE painting.  I was of the belief that the art was created specifically for the Australian campaign.

Wrong!  Although the artwork did, indeed, see print as the Australian daybill poster . . . it was initially created for the UK press-book campaign circulated to cinema managers.

Earth's Core 2.jpg

Earth's Core 1.jpg

New in today . . . original movie poster painting for the 1965 comedy, BOEING BOEING, starring Jerry Lewis and Tony Curtis.  This was created for the Spanish release of the movie.  Although I prefer UK and USA paintings, I liked the whimsical nature of the artwork (and besides, it came at a steal!).

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1438609

The above link will provide access to a large photo of the artwork, together with a write-up and additional images.

boeing caf.jpg

Edited by The Voord

New in . . . the original one-sheet design painting created for the  American movie poster campaign of the 1973 British horror film, AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS!, which starred Peter Cushing and Stephanie Beacham.

Full write-up, large scan and additional images at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1455386

Interestingly, this particular original surfaced and was recently offered for sale on my 'Original Movie Posters Artwork' FB group by one of our members at a very affordable price - so I bought it!

Edited by The Voord

On 11/10/2017 at 7:36 AM, The Voord said:

New in today . . . original movie poster painting for the 1962 Sword and Sandal epic, SODOM AND GOMORRAH:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1434747

The above link will provide access to a large photo of the artwork, together with a write-up and additional images.

S&G for CGC.jpg

I dig it

New in today . . . Nevio Zeccara's original Movie Poster painting for the Italian 1974 theatrical re-release of the classic 1961 UK science-fiction film, THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE.

Full write-up and additional scans on my CAF update at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by The Voord

On 05/04/2018 at 6:51 AM, The Voord said:

New in today . . . Nevio Zeccara's original Movie Poster painting for the Italian 1974 theatrical re-release of the classic 1961 UK science-fiction film, THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE.

Full write-up and additional scans on my CAF update at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

thumbnail.jpg

very nice, congrats Terry.    Zeccaria has been new to me through exposure in the FB group but his stuff is lovely.

That Ghana piece not so much :insane:

Edited by Bronty

4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

very nice, congrats Terry.    Zeccaria has been new to me through exposure in the FB group but his stuff is lovely.

That Ghana piece not so much :insane:

The Ghana stuff...you sort of have to be accepting of folk art to get it. Naturally...I have several :)