• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

Not final paintings, but I am working on an article for Hogan's Alley right now about Jack Davis and I think we will be using large (he did them at full one sheet size) finished preliminaries for two of his classic covers-Bad News Bears and The Long Goodbye. Look for it this Winter!!

Oh nice - I just watched "The Long Goodbye" for the first time a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it.

What is Hogans Alley? When I think of that I think of the 1985(?) nintendo game, but I googled it just now to find to my surprise that the name , if I have this straight, came from an immigrant community here in Vancouver. What is the Hogans Alley to which you refer?

What is Hogans Alley? When I think of that I think of the 1985(?) nintendo game, but I googled it just now to find to my surprise that the name , if I have this straight, came from an immigrant community here in Vancouver. What is the Hogans Alley to which you refer?

I'm guessing it's this site:

Hogan's Alley - the online magazine of cartoon arts

Edited by Solar

Although I started this thread to highlight four (maybe?) final updates on my current movie poster artwork fixation, I'm kinda intrigued about this diversion in, an otherwise, comic-book OA forum that I'm pleased others have contributed to. In the sense that, in addition to the funny pages stuff, most here would have grew-up with a deep-rooted affection for motion pictures.

Other boardies, here, have some terrific OA examples of this collecting interest. Felix has his beloved Aliens poster art, Gene has a standout Thunderball (007) example and Matthew has a stunning Terminator artwork - with some further noteworthy examples populating CAF (the Reynold Brown stuff is to die for).

Obviously, as per the above examples I cite, the key to all this is owning a movie poster original that ties-in to a highly-regarded movie (i.e. classic).

In this respect, and it's not my intention to blow my own trumpet, I reckon I've landed a few such examples (which naturally carried a premium to purchase).

Other impressive (to me) artworks I've bought front some not-so-impressive movies. That doesn't bother me too much as my focus is mostly on the artwork. In the same (hopefully, comparable) way, few here would turn their noses up at owning a silver age large art Jack Kirby cover . . . even if that cover art fronted a not-so memorable interior story (usually by the hands of others) that failed to live up to the exciting cover image (a good cover makes you want to buy the comic-book, right?). In this sense, a good cover does what a good movie poster is supposed to do . . . it makes you want the product (little more than an advertisement gimmick, if you will).

So, as an offshoot to this thread (assuming we're all singing from the same hymn sheet), if there was one original movie poster art original you could own, what would that be . . . and why?

Naturally, this should exclude photo images.

I'll cite my own 'grail' in due course . . .

Terry,

I imagine that for a lot of people it would be Star Wars and I'm sure any of the originals for the various versions of the original 1977 SW posters would go deep into six figures.

I'd even have to take that one just so I could sell it to someone else, and I'm not a SW guy :insane:

So, as an offshoot to this thread (assuming we're all singing from the same hymn sheet), if there was one original movie poster art original you could own, what would that be . . . and why?

Winner:

All 4 images used for the British Quad poster for the James Bond film Thunderball. My favorite of the Bond films featuring my all-time favorite pop culture character. Two brilliant images by Frank McCarthy (the jetpack scene is my all-time favorite 007 image and would be the pick if I could only choose one) and two by Robert McGinnis (one of which is in my CAF gallery). The film series has literally had a transformative impact on my life by inspiring me to travel abroad as well as to seek out the good life.

Runner-Up:

The Empire Strikes Back poster by Roger Kastel. I was all about Star Wars between 1977 and 1983. Even though I largely grew out of Star Wars after discovering comics, that poster remains an all-time favorite.

164932.jpg.47c54581785d06bd7e00dff561c5c900.jpg

164933.jpg.99f392c78a37c08506f3e0f6ca48124f.jpg

Other boardies, here, have some terrific OA examples of this collecting interest. Felix has his beloved Aliens poster art, Gene has a standout Thunderball (007) example and Matthew has a stunning Terminator artwork - with some further noteworthy examples populating CAF (the Reynold Brown stuff is to die for).

(thumbs u

I also have some other movie poster art, though the only other one on CAF at the moment is C. Michael Dudash's painting for the 50th Anniversary Edition of Casablanca. It was used to promote the film for 20 years, gracing the packaging for the LaserDisc, VHS cassette, DVD, etc. Depending on what day you ask me, Casablanca is either my favorite film of all-time or tied with Before Sunrise for that honor.

BTW, I actually picked up a cool 1960s movie poster original from Mitch I. at the SDCC in July; I'm just waiting for the published poster to arrive in the mail so I can upload both images to CAF!

164935.jpg.a628de843bf2cf64d1f6d39f0751aad4.jpg

Terry,

I imagine that for a lot of people it would be Star Wars and I'm sure any of the originals for the various versions of the original 1977 SW posters would go deep into six figures.

I'd even have to take that one just so I could sell it to someone else, and I'm not a SW guy :insane:

I like Star Wars, but I don't love it. Best thing Lucas did, as far as I'm concerned, was American Graffiti. That movie had a cool Mort Drucker poster artwork.

Richard Amsel's art for the RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK one-sheet:

Amsel_Raiders1_Unedited.jpg

Amsel_Raiders_81release.jpg

I'm sure not everyone would consider this the best Indiana Jones/RAIDERS poster art and that's fine...but it was the first, and it's the one that has the most nostalgia for me.

BTW, I actually picked up a cool 1960s movie poster original from Mitch I. at the SDCC in July; I'm just waiting for the published poster to arrive in the mail so I can upload both images to CAF!

My fourth update will be a purchase from Mitch, due to reach me Thursday (according to the FedEx tracking notification I received).

Here’s my choice for ‘grail’ movie poster artwork:

first_men_in_the_moon_xlg.jpg

THE FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (1964), artist unknown

This one’s right out of my childhood (I was about seven years old when the movie premiered). Big fan of Ray Harryhausen’s animation work of the time that included things like, Jason and the Argonauts, Seventh Voyage of Sinbad and Mysterious Island (probably looking very dated now to modern audiences, but in its time the animation was a big deal to those of us who grew up with these wonders of the big screen).

I specifically remember NOT seeing the movie at the time of it original cinema release. Probably refused entry to the theatre as a small unaccompanied boy and it was not something my parents wanted to take me to see . . . or perhaps I’d already spent up on my weekly allowance?

I do remember seeing the trailer for this movie accompanying other releases of the time, which just blew me away with the special effects being showcased on the short compilation of extracts. This, together with the front-of-house movie poster and selection of stills, was the nearest I got to it in 1964.

Fast forward to 1969, the movie was re-released as part of a double-bill presentation, supporting another production and I finally got to see it. Loved every minute of it, especially all the moon sequences, and actually made several repeat visits to the cinema during the week-long run. The movie was recently re-released on Blu-ray in an absolutely pristine print and has never looked better.

No idea who the artist was for the above movie poster (I think this is the American version) but, for me, it successfully encapsulates all the key scenes from the movie under one design. This is the one-sheet poster (there is a quad that expands on the art, but I couldn’t locate a satisfactory image I felt happy about uploading here).

I have a few pieces of original Poster art.

Lifeforce prelim (foreign poster) by Gilbert Raffin

One of my favorite cult films is Lifeforce (based on a book "Space Vampires). Directed by Toby Hooper (Poltergeist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Invaders From Mars). Unfortunately the artist had given the final art to one of the distributors.

fKeiah10_1908150115161.jpg

Le Blob movie poster art by Gilbert Raffin

This was done for the remake of the Blob (1988) with Kevin Dillon. Loved the original with Steve McQueen but this one was a good remake. Some great effects with the Blob. This version was used for the french poster, much better than the photo used for the US version. The lettering is an overlay.

an87bRlJ_1908150103471.jpg

I also picked up something from Mitch at SDCC, still paying it off. Will post when I have it.

Edited by Brian Peck

Richard Amsel's art for the RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK one-sheet:

Amsel_Raiders1_Unedited.jpg

Amsel_Raiders_81release.jpg

I'm sure not everyone would consider this the best Indiana Jones/RAIDERS poster art and that's fine...but it was the first, and it's the one that has the most nostalgia for me.

That's a good one. I'm not into Indy but it's a great image and the cover of Amsel's 1987 estate sale catalogue at Christie's and used on tons of stuff including the packaging for the Super Nintendo Indy game.

Unfortunately whispers are Lucas purchased it for 30 or 40 k (1987 dollars!) shortly after the estate sale (where it passed)

Runner-Up:

The Empire Strikes Back poster by Tom Kastel. I was all about Star Wars between 1977 and 1983. Even though I largely grew out of Star Wars after discovering comics, that poster remains an all-time favorite.

isn't it Roger Kastel? That's a great image, but I worry a little about what it might look like in person. The jpg is too small to tell, but the likeness might be photo? Which would kill it for me if its effectively a painted background with photo faces

Perhaps, but either way it underlines that at least for me, I'd have a real tough time picking any grail without seeing them in person.

Easier with comic art where there are few dimensional variances, no color, etc.