• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's BLACK LIGHTNING TV Show from Greg Berlanti

91 posts in this topic

'Black Lightning' Casts Grace Choi

grace-choi-black-lightning-1046824-640x3

It looks like another one of the DC's Outsiders is coming to Black Lightning, as Grace Choi has just been cast in the upcoming CW series.

According to Variety, Chantal Thuy as been cast as the DC Comics character ahead of the show's 2018 debut.

Thuy, who has appeared in Madam Secretary and Pretty Little Liars, will have a recurring role in the first season of the series. The casting report states that Grace Choi is a bartender who ends up becoming the love interest of Anissa Pierce (Nafessa Williams). Grace becomes friends with Anissa while they're both struggling with the fact that they have special abilities, and they will look to one another for help in their times of need.

'Black Lightning' Debuts New Logo

black-lightning-logo-1061872-640x320.jpg

During the Arrowverse crossover event "Crisis on Earth-X", The CW debuted a brief promo for the network's upcoming new superhero drama Black Lightning and while the promo didn't reveal anything new about the show it did give audiences a look at the series' brand new logo.

In the promo, Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) is standing in the rain clenching his fists while a voiceover says "people out there need me. Black Lightning is back." Jefferson's eyes glow, lightning crackles and the new logo, complete with the hero’s signature yellow lightning bolt, closes in on screen.

blk101d-0100r-1061851.jpg

blk101b-0114r-1061850.jpg

blk101a-0047r-1061849.jpg

On 1/3/2018 at 12:19 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Looks like it will be the best CW superhero show yet.

You could be right. First review.

‘Black Lightning’ Review: The CW’s Latest Superhero Series Sets a New Bar

Nothing about Black Lightning feels familiar. That’s a good thing. It’s on The CW, but it doesn’t look like any other CW show (and not only because it’s the network’s first series with a black lead). It’s a superhero show, but it puts characters first and the super-powered stuff second. It’s not an origin story about a 20-something getting powers, either; it’s about rebirth for a man old enough to be their father.

Black Lightning focuses on Jefferson Pierce (the extremely charismatic Cress Williams), a retired vigilante. The balance between being a superhero and caring for his family was one his wife Lynn (Christine Adams) was unable to live with — Jefferson would come home beaten, bruised, and bloodied, and there was always a chance he wouldn’t come back at all. It was too hard to continue that way, so she didn’t. The family split up, and Jefferson hung up the cape (as it were). He became a high school principal, convincing himself that he was changing more lives in his community that way than he would as Black Lightning.

Black Lightning also balances those politics with super-heroics and its family-centric story, doing so with exceptional precision. There is, crucially, a healthy dose of humor as well, and an easy rapport among the characters. Things move fast on the show — that’s typical for The CW — and Jefferson will not fight the reigniting of his powers forever (something that his ex-wife calls an “addiction”). The series is also in no hurry to focus on that. Crucially, it makes the powers an afterthought to the rest of the drama happening.

Chief among that drama is the fact that Jefferson’s younger daughter Jennifer (China Anne McClain) is the one whose rebellion improbably kicks off the eventual return of Black Lightning. Her desire to get close to a member of The 100 gang starts a ball rolling that has immediate consequences (there is so much story in these first two hours, and it’s all good). But while Jennifer and Anissa do end up needing their father to save them (though they don’t yet know that it is him), they are strong and capable on their own, with the possibility of developing their own powers. Like any good superhero story, there is a sense of destiny with the Pierce family. “I’m not trying to save this city, I’m trying to protect my family,” Jefferson says to Gambi. Those desires may not be opposed for long. When Jefferson is in Black Lightning mode, he’s both engaging in electric hand-to-hand combat and reigniting a hope in the people of Freeland. When greeted by a doorman on his way to hunt a notorious gang member, the man says excitedly, “Black Lightning, my man!” It’s positive, it’s victorious, it’s complicated, and it’s badass.

Rating: ★★★★★ An exceptional start

10 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

January 16

Really not too sure what to make of it yet.. At first glance he looks bulky and old... So kinda like Bat Aflec

I disagree. He looks like a fighter getting back in the ring, and not that far out of shape.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I disagree. He looks like a fighter getting back in the ring, and not that far out of shape.

You dont think that his suit looks more like an armor, just like Bats is in the Snyder movies? I mean when Im thinking of Black Lightning from the comics, Im thinking of, well, a black version of Flash really

24 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

You dont think that his suit looks more like an armor, just like Bats is in the Snyder movies? I mean when Im thinking of Black Lightning from the comics, Im thinking of, well, a black version of Flash really

To me, they are making the character more realistic. From the short clips we have seen, it appears to be science-based why he crafted the suit the way he did.

But I guess we will see come January 16th.

:foryou:

22 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

To me, they are making the character more realistic. From the short clips we have seen, it appears to be science-based why he crafted the suit the way he did.

But I guess we will see come January 16th.

:foryou:

From the beginning you could tell this was going to be good. It just has that vibe and look about it. A 100 percent opposite vibe from Inhumans. (:

Yep. I agree they are making him more realistic. 

This is going to be a hit.

Review: 'Black Lightning' Is Game-Changing For Superhero TV

Black Lightning is the one of the best pilots in the last few years, and the show immediately raises the bar for superhero programming.

It has been less than a calendar year since the comic book TV landscape saw a bit of a critical paradigm shift with the one-two punch of Riverdale and Legion. Each of them offered a bold and visually-stunning interpretation of their comic book source material, reducing decades of continuity to a handful of loose guidelines and storytelling conventions, there to be revered or violated depending almost exclusively on the needs of the story.

Black Lightning feels very much like that -- and much like both of those series, it seems likely the show will earn strong reviews from both professional critics and those audiences who demand "something different" and also flock in large, reliable numbers to the superhero shows that show no signs of slowing down.

Black Lightning opens with a five-minute sequence unlike anything you've seen in a comic book pilot. It is raw and visceral and disturbing, and in light of the current events upon which it is commenting, it feels urgent.

Like Riverdale, Black Lightning is a generational story -- one where the nominal hero is only as interesting as those around him, and where both parents and children make first impressions that promise there is much more to explore.

And like The Flash, the show throws a lot at you -- fast -- and wraps it in the candy coating of exciting action scenes and a character who has a voice and point of view distinct enough that it comes through even when he is going through the motions of fast-paced violence.

Black Lightning does not feel like a comic book show angling to be prestige TV, as some of the recent additions to the canon have been. That format can certainly deliver some memorable content but is ultimately unlikely to fully satisfy either the comic book audience or the prestige TV viewer for long. Instead, Black Lightning is prestige TV using the iconography of superheroes to comment on our modern society and, on some level, our obsession with big strong men who will use force to come and save us. That inversion of creative priorities is something rarely seen, and it has a lot of potential if they can maintain this high level of quality going forward.

Black Lightning will have a red carpet premiere on Saturday in Washington, D.C. as part of the "DC in D.C." event. It will premiere on The CW next Tuesday, January 16, at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, Aweandlorder said:

January 16

Really not too sure what to make of it yet.. At first glance he looks bulky and old... So kinda like Bat Aflec

I'm there with you.  I'd love for my #1s to skyrocket but every time I see a preview I kind of yawn and think of other shows I need to watch (Black Mirror is back!).  It kind of gives me a black Flash vibe which is actually not a bad thing to be but I just can't seem to get a great vibe no matter how hard I try.

Edited by 1Cool