• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's BLACK LIGHTNING TV Show from Greg Berlanti

91 posts in this topic

'Black Lightning's Christine Adams Says Comic Book Fans Would Give the Show Legitimacy

wm-cw-upfronts-black-lightning-christine

Tonight, audiences got their first look at Black Lightning, as the upcoming CW series had its world premiere in Washington, D.C. as part of DC Entertainment's DC in D.C. event.

On the carpet before the pilot was screened for audiences, Black Lightning series star Christine Adams said that she had read ComicBook.com's recent, positive review of the pilot and explained that reviews matter to the cast particularly when they come from the comics space.

"You guys are the legitimacy of doing a comic book show in the sense that the people who read comics and love that kind of material, it matters to us what they think," Adams told ComicBook.com "We know that this is an environment where there's a lot of superhero shows, so the fact that it's resonating with you is really exciting."

Adams plays Lynn Pierce, ex-wife of Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) and a big part of why he stepped away from being Black Lightning years before the show's story begins. As we saw recently, at least one of her daughters -- Anissa, played by Nafessa Williams -- will take on her own costumed, superhero identity before the first season is up.

"It's going to be an ongoing struggle" for her character, Adams admitted. Lynn was never comfortable with her husband putting his life on the line to be a superhero, and it seems unlikely that she will be any happier to see that her teenage daughter has decided to pick up that particular family legacy.

I like the way she thinks on this.

I really like the actor playing Black Lightning (Cress Williams).

He was good on Hart of Dixie, but he was _phenomenal_ in his short 10-episode run in Friday Night Lights as Vince's (Michael B. Jordan's) estranged dad.

I will go out on a limb and say this show has my spidey senses tingling.  Not Inhumans vibe but for some reason it just feels off.  I hope they prove me wrong and it's a hit but I just am not feeling the trailers I've seen.

Good first episode. Definitely factors in issues of the times, while blending in a decent superhero origin story. Though they haven't revealed everything yet how and why he became Black Lightning.

James Remar (Dexter's dad in the Showtime series) having a role in this show was a surprise, as I hadn't seen him mentioned before. He's been involved with Gotham, Beware the Batman, Young Justice, Brave and the Bold, X-Men: First Class and much more. So someone heavily involved in superhero productions.

1 hour ago, zuckuss2003 said:
6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I missed it. (shrug)

Anybody know where I can catch it?

If only there was a way to search for this kind of information. :)

its on the CW channel.  In MOST cases you can watch recent episodes on their website.  In some cases you can't or there's a delay of a like a week or two.  good luck.

Saw it tonight. Positives: good action, snappy dialogue, interesting creative villains. Negatives: ham fisted directed leading to uninspired acting. Plot twists a little silly/forced.

Most CW stuff I find to be a bit stock and uninspired, this feels a little fresher but still flawed. Will watch a few more episodes

Here's Why 'Black Lightning' Is Set In a Fictional City

So why is it set in the fictional city of Freeland?

Co-showrunner Salim Akil recently spoke about that creative decision at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour, revealing the show was originally going to be set in a real-life city.

"I was going to call it Richmond, because that’s where I’m from — Richmond, California. But I didn’t want to make people feel bad about being in the communities that they were in," said Akil. "This is a story about me, and it’s a story about the people that I know. And I want to show them respect."

Unlike other superhero shows, Black Lightning unflinchingly deals with social issues such as systemic racism and crime, with only cursory comic book influences at this point. The pilot was one of The CW's most successful premieres in the network's history, and even the re-run garnered huge ratings despite airing during the typically difficult time on Friday evening.

The fictional setting also allows Akil and the other writers to make yet another statement about the show's direction, admitting that the name 'Freeland' is very much in reference to Black Lightning "trying to free the people."

On 1/18/2018 at 7:49 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I missed it. (shrug)

Anybody know where I can catch it?

It's available on Netflix.  At least in Canada...

I didn't even realize it was on a Network - Netflix sent me a "show you might like" email, so I assumed it was a Netflix original.

18 hours ago, Loki said:

It's available on Netflix.  At least in Canada...

I didn't even realize it was on a Network - Netflix sent me a "show you might like" email, so I assumed it was a Netflix original.

New episode a week after they air on USA. But is you have a TV package that gets US superstations you get it on KTLA 

It's aight. 

But it kinda made me wish this show was darker and grittier, more like Black Lighting was the school principal but also a secret Robin Hood/Punisher/Dexter/Omar type character, but in the WIRE.  Like he would secretly murder/rob drug dealers and gangsters at night, while the police are also trying to investigate drug dealers and possibly a serial killer.  And everything else would be super 'real' like the Wire, except one character had electrical powers.  Of course Black Lightning would give the drug money to the community.  The show wouldn't have to focus on the powers, it would just be a casual, normal part of the character and story.

On 9/1/2016 at 7:18 PM, Meeklo said:

Luckily, just recently picked up Black Lightning #1 :banana:

Good news: I bought a NM+ copy from FlyingDonut in 2004. :D

Bad news: I sold it in 2010 to MyComicShop for a few dollars profit. :frown:

Just watched the beginning of the second episode.  Pretty good.